Any New Zealand drivers?

I stupidly missed the age cut off for the working holiday visa for NZ (31) and have now found the HGV driving is being systematically removed from the immediate skills shortage list across NZ.

It remains only on the Canterbury (Christchurch) Essential skills list now for which a 12 month visa is available when you have a job offer from a Canterbury based company, experience is not an issue for me have 8yrs class 1 and it’s a straight swap for an NZ Class 5 licence. The question is, does anyone working out there already have any information or suggestions on companies looking for drivers which are willing to assist a visa application for a year, not to residence.

I’ve sent a few emails and responses were generally positive but want me to be over there for an interview first before really discussing it which is not practical given the costs and distances involved and would be last resort. I’m going to the main NZ expo in a couple of weeks but am not expecting any logistics recruiters to be there but giving it a go.

If you look down the page here, there’s a thread New Zealand Class.

Yes, thanks, i’ve read it, it’s about licence swapping and some general chat about visas, accomodation and availability of jobs. I’m specifically asking anyone in NZ if they are aware of firms that have or are willing to employ people along with submitting a visa application, something that wasn’t answered there, hence the new thread.

Try Hilton Haulage from Timaru, always looking for people.
If not, there’s Philip Wareing in Methven or one of the construction/demolition firms around Christchurch. Sweet as bro.

Halls might be also one option. To my knowledge Linfox is bit short on drivers atm so they might be option as well.

Thanks, Halls were the company that suggested an interview should I happen to “pop over” to NZ so they have jobs just don’t want to reach out much.

Nobody will hire you without seeing you in person, just the way it goes. Besides, there’s not really that much to reach out from employers, all they have to do is to give a job offer, you do the rest by yourself

i got my first job over here by sending emails off to agricultural contractors however i came on a working holiday visa so had a date when i would be here

as far as im aware some big contractors are able to take on seasonal workers over the summer harvesting months without to much hassle getting visas which you may be interested in looking into and intrested in working big hours and only have time off when its raining

Send me an email. Looking for a couple of drivers, Dunedin based. We can provide accommodation

Direct message me…
I’m a Pom, working in Christchurch. Probably give you a few pointers…
Cheers…

I’m a Class 1 Driver. If you are looking for drivers, just send me a message.

Hi Mate.

I worked for Move logistics for a few months in 2011 whilst travelling around New Zealand.

Move had a few depots around Christchurch I worked from Shands Road depot in Hornby Christchurch. Not a bad bunch of blokes down there, Could give them a try.

Hope everything works out for ya.

Hey, thanks for the info, given the general requirement to go over first and find a job when i’m there i’ve decided not to follow through, I have a lot of things to tie up here so I need something firm to go to, cannot go out and just hope it all works out, unfortunately NZ is too far and expensive to get to to be doing a recce trip to find a job and then another trip to move out there for only 1 year. I’ve instead been pursuing something in Canada and so far it seems to be working out just fine… :sunglasses:

Something I would add is that I went to the NZ expo (Down under Live), luckily only paid a couple of quid to get in but what a useless event, it was just immigration consultants looking to fleece people out of thousands to help them fill in their forms and do a skills assessment, otherwise it was relocation firms there and one recruiter which actually seemed to be an agency, on the job board they had up there the only driving position was Taxi Driver…which is not on any skills list in NZ so only doable with an open visa, if you had one of those you wouldn’t be at an immigration expo but there you go.