Changes to canada -usa work

According to this article…TRUCKNETUK wont let me download. and reading a Canadian drivers forum ,things are changing tax wise for drivers on regular Canada --usa work .After 128 days /part days(in the US) you need to sign a declaration (tax) then you can work /be in the usa for 182 days/part days max or the IRS wants a share.
the article is on CBC BC.and truckstopcanada forum.( how do you think… ) post.

Have a heart for Christ’s sake, they’re 18,000,000,000,000 in debt.

This could be true. Just today I received a letter from my bank saying that certain US indicators show up on my account. They enclosed a W9 form which requires me to get a US taxpayer identification number and certification. It looks like they are desperate for money south of the border. And all because I have a cellphone with a North Dakota area code.

When I was working with US brokers they all wanted a W9 form sent over with insurance, permits etc. I think it’s a waiver of some sort Chris, ask Tammy she is on the ball with all that stuff, you may even be able to use the FET one as you have the phone for business use.

This looks like it is all part of FATCA; Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act, where the US government is trying to rake in cash from people outside the USA. It’s aimed at US citizens but it seems frequent visitors are going to get caught in the net. There is a page on Wikipedia. I think it is a disgrace that my Canadian bank should be forced to hand over my personnel details and the last thing I want to do is register on any tax-payers data-base.

FATCA only concerns non resident US citizens who keep visiting the US or US citizens who hold off shore bank accounts ect.
Also foreign financial institutions who hold assets in the US.
It’s nothing for Canadian truck drivers to worry about.
Jimbo is referring to a thread on another forum regarding a BC member of Parliament who is concerned about a new information sharing agreement between Canada and the US.
This MP is warning Canadian citizens who reside in the US for six months of the year that they may be eligible for US income tax for any time over 120 days.
Somebody pointed out to the guy that started the aforementioned thread that the regulations are not aimed at truck drivers going about their work and now the guy has removed all his posts.

:blush: aye correct wire …the posts were removed when I looked again , I posted what I believed to be correct information to inform others. . thank KF its not correct.,jimmy :blush: :blush:

Chris go and see Hollie and get a Rogers phone, then not only do you get a cheaper phone deal, you get the IRS off your back too :laughing:

The phone is still on Payne’s account and I haven’t paid anything for it since the accident. I told them I needed to keep the same number because of all the medical people who ring me. They have been very good about it. I’ll settle up when I go back to work. Maybe pop in and see Hollie in a couple of months.

Rogers charge $5 a day cheaper to get a Verizon top up phone $45 month all in including 1000 mins/month back to Canada

Rich the $5 a day is up to a maximum of $50 and whatever contract you have with data etc is valid both sides of the border.
Quite a few of the lads have cancelled their Verizon contracts and gone over to Rogers and they’re saving a chunk of change, especially with the exchange rate at the moment.

Rogers have sorted out a deal with sask tel now so you have good signal all the way through the barren wasteland now, the Internet is still ■■■■ unless you’re in Regina or S’toon, but I believe they’re working on that too.

Maybe I’ll have to take a look into that. Getting ripped off with Virgin. If only extra $5 a month to what I’m paying it’s worth it.

I’m a British lgv 1 driver but want to get out to Canada or USA. Can any one give any advise. I have not a clue how to go about it. Would like to ask iff it’s worth making the move? Thanks

Andrew6559:
I’m a British lgv 1 driver but want to get out to Canada or USA. Can any one give any advise. I have not a clue how to go about it. Would like to ask iff it’s worth making the move? Thanks

cic.gc.ca/englisH/immigrate/index.asp

taffytrucker:
Maybe I’ll have to take a look into that. Getting ripped off with Virgin. If only extra $5 a month to what I’m paying it’s worth it.

Forget the USA. A lot of phone calls emails and a lot if luck

Slightly off topic but Boris Johnson has just had to hand over a big chunk to the irs in capital gains tax on a house he sold in the uk as he holds dual nationality uk/us as he was born in new York.
I’m sure he could afford it even after fighting it for five years but so much for the land of the free.

Doubtless the IRS will come up with something to try to screw us, but there is an easy way to deal with anything they try. Take US cash from home with you. :grimacing:
The main argument that could be made is that we don’t earn anything there because we are not allowed to work there. In truth, we should be able to claim all our sales tax back from the US and offset it against our income taxes.

The Rogers deal is pretty sound. You get to abuse your data on AT&T LTE networks all day long and, if you go over on the data, they only charge you $10 per gig. Some places it doesn’t work. but nothing works in those places anyway.

It’s cheaper than the straight talk but calling the UK is pricey so get the other party to call you instead.

Calling the UK from Canada on Rogers is as cheap as chips, well fries i guess you would say here.

10cpm but there’s no cap unless they changed it recently so you can load it up a bit. I haven’t tried from the U.S. yet just in case they ding me.

Signal is still lousy in SK. Going to see if the new network is up and running up North later.

You have to go into settings and network operators, you’ll see Rogers ext. Usually 3 to choose from, the top one isn’t always best, sometimes you’ll only get data and no calls, it’s pot luck really, I never bother unless I’m north of #16 or want to use the Internet as normal Rogers is good enough.