new lmia

Hi guys , I really need some advice , this is very important and many thanks in advance. I’m currently in Alberta working for a company and without going into too much detail, it hasn’t worked out due to differences with my employer. I’m over here with my wife and my sons who are both settled in school and are enjoying it. We gave up everything to start a new life out here. Please no comments on why on earth we did because that isn’t constructive and going to help the situation, lol… Going home is a last resort and because of the changes to the lmo system which happened after we arrived i need to find a new lmo asap. Maybe switching provinces would be an option which i may need to consider. Any constructive advice would be really appreciated… Thanks.

It depends on how long you`ve been here and what kind of process you are going through in order to get PR before anyone can give constructive advice

Sorry been here since last may. Haven’t been nominated yet and will not with my employer. I need to change employers fast and need a new lmia. Been looking around and cant find anything at the minute. Staying with my employer is not an option.

Id say unless youre fortunate enough to find somewhere with LMIAs in the next few months you may need to consider having to leave if you really cant grin and bear it with your current employer. You could well end up running out of time and being forced to leave due to time restrictions permitted to entitle you to stay here. From what I understand an LMIA now expire after 2 years when the company has to reapply ( sure someone will correct me if im wrong ) but you only have 4 years in total time allowed here in which to complete the PR process and this doesnt reset when you change employer - therefore youre gonna be cutting things really fine if you dont find something very soon.

russjp:
Id say unless youre fortunate enough to find somewhere with LMIAs in the next few months you may need to consider having to leave if you really cant grin and bear it with your current employer. You could well end up running out of time and being forced to leave due to time restrictions permitted to entitle you to stay here. From what I understand an LMIA now expire after 2 years when the company has to reapply ( sure someone will correct me if im wrong ) but you only have 4 years in total time allowed here in which to complete the PR process and this doesnt reset when you change employer - therefore youre gonna be cutting things really fine if you dont find something very soon.

TWP’s are for 1 year again now.

neilg14:
TWP’s are for 1 year again now.

Which to my mind is the single biggest issue facing people now. Its becoming extremely hard to find companies who can or will obtain an LMIA and even when they do, as you say, its for 12 months with a huge amount of uncertainty over whether or not another one will be obtainable when that one expires. Combine that with the fact that many provinces now require a full 12 months of continuous employment with the same firm before even being eligible to apply for PNP and you have a very very dicey situation. If you need 12 months employment, you need that second LMIA in place and a TWP to be activated using it, to even be in a position to apply for PNP/PR and thats a huge gamble to take now for anyone looking at Canada or here already on a 12 months TWP. None of this would be an issue with 6 months employment requirement for PNP application purposes (provided the PNP offices didn’t prat about). I know all the Maritime provinces are now 12 months, what about SK and MB?

You can still apply to Vegreville for an extension to your permit. So the 12 month thing isn’t as big a deal as it’s being made out to be. All you need is a supporting letter from your employer stating that they still need your services.

The borders are implementing a new system and they don’t want people going around the flagpole anymore, the port of entry is supposed to be a one time deal, but a concession was made for truck drivers to renew at the border, typically it was abused so they’re pulling the plug.

If you manage to get in to Canada and have a decent job, which you plan to keep then you will have no problems extending your TWP and getting on the PNP, except Alberta with its weird company nomination system.

Best bet is to give AB a swerve.

newmercman:
You can still apply to Vegreville for an extension to your permit. So the 12 month thing isn’t as big a deal as it’s being made out to be. All you need is a supporting letter from your employer stating that they still need your services.

I thought that all extensions to TWP’s were now being treated as fresh applications regardless of whether the TFW was already here in Canada or not? I’m sure I read something along those lines a year or so ago.

Double post.

From what I read (albeit a few months ago, if your employer can show that your on a salary above the provincial median wage then it’s a two year lmia/WP
If you come in below the median then it’s 12 months. Renewals … Not sure

Sorry for double post, here was my source of info
trucknews.com/business-manag … 003059366/

Looks like BC / AB Pay enough salary for two year work permits
The other provinces seem to state low pay which = 1 year wp

I’m sure there are some folk who having been paid by employers in various provinces would disagree though

PNP requirement for SK was 6 months in 2013 when i went through the process, haven`t heard that its changed at all

I read through Dereko’s link, I think it’s been massively simplified, all they mention is the median wage.
I’ve got no idea of the full criteria the Companies have to meet now but it includes, unemployment rate in that area, advertising through the right channels for Canadians and give reasons why the job wasn’t given to any Canadian that applied. etc,etc. not ony median wage.
If it’s that easy, why aren’t LMIA’s in abundance like LMO’s were ?
The TWP’s, being reduced to a year again, the Govt have said, is because they are trying to stress that it is Temporary.
The companies then have to go through the whole process again within a year unlike before, just sit back and renew LMO’s for 4 years or until the driver got PR.
AB is definitely the hardest Province to gain PR now, because AINP is presently taking about 15mths for processing so if a driver comes here on a 1year TWP and gets nominated after 6mths, then is unable to get a second TWP which is a big possibility, then the driver is left in limbo for 9mths without a WP, waiting for a yes from AINP.

robinhood_1984:

newmercman:
[/quote

How is this possible ? No company would bother with a second LMIA. Is this what happened before when it was LMO’s or you know you can do this now with LMIA’s ?

Sorry Neil I should have clarified that. having read it back its not too clear …
The median wage bit is what determines the length of the lmia/WP dependant on the employer having first jumped through the hoops of being granted lmias in the first place.
As you say they must prove they tried everything to get a local in the seat before asking for foreigners

I only ever had two LMOs, the first at Big Fright, then when I GTFO there and moved to PBT. I renewed my TWP twice as I decided to stay in Canada when the first two year one ran out (initially I was only going to play supertrucker for a couple of years and go back to the UK) I got on PNP and renewed it a couple of times before my PR came through.

Each time I did it at the border as I needed the TWP in my passport to cross the border back into Canada, so sending it off to Vegreville was not an option, but that was supposed to be the procedure AFAIK.

Companies should be able to get LMIA long as they have no more then 30% on LMIA. Once your anip gets accepted LMIA is no longer needed so you don’t count. Companies must provide proof they have tried to recruit Canadians for the last 3 months but no candidate has filled the criteria and that the position has been advertised on several medians for the last 3 months. Then it costs $1000 per LMIA application and even then it’s not certain they will get them. A company here in AB just paid for 10 and all 10 refused. $10k down the drain. Employers can offer incentives for Canadians to take the job such as higher pay etc.

The border crossings are becoming more and more reluctant to issue WP. My last one they put on the bottom must reapply through Vegerville

taffytrucker:
The border crossings are becoming more and more reluctant to issue WP. My last one they put on the bottom must reapply through Vegerville

The borders are having big changes and updates in their computer systems at the moment and are not happy when people turn up to renew WP’s or land for PR.

newmercman:
I only ever had two LMOs, the first at Big Fright, then when I GTFO there and moved to PBT. I renewed my TWP twice as I decided to stay in Canada when the first two year one ran out (initially I was only going to play supertrucker for a couple of years and go back to the UK) I got on PNP and renewed it a couple of times before my PR came through.

Each time I did it at the border as I needed the TWP in my passport to cross the border back into Canada, so sending it off to Vegreville was not an option, but that was supposed to be the procedure AFAIK.

But when you renew at Vegreville, you still need a new LMIA, you can’t just extend a WP at will or just because the employer needs you.

neilg14:

taffytrucker:

The borders are having big changes and updates in their computer systems at the moment and are not happy when people turn up to renew WP’s or land for PR.

That was 18 months ago Neil I did mine. I think it depends on the guard you get and what mood they are in.