LMO system

If I wanted to change company how would I go about this , in the current situation i have been in canada 6 months, and I’m not very happy with the company I work for to much sitting around i would like to give flat deck a go …i curtently work for a fridge outfit and 1 thing I noticed about fridge work in North America is as a driver there is to much dropping trailers and not enough unloading that equals to putting weight on due to a poor diet as well ,that’s why I wouldn’t mind giving flat deck a go and ive heard a lot of flat deck goes down to texas i can’t see me sticking fridge work have any drivers changed companies is that possible , thanks happy 2015 everyone .

Obviously things are much harder these days but in principal you can change jobs at the drop of a hat if you can get an LMO/LMIA if you’re not in the PNP process yet. If later on you’ve been granted PNP by your province, you can change to a different job without an LMIA so long as the PNP office clears it and issues you a new PNP certificate with the new company name on. The new company will have to issue you the same docs as your first company, a permanent contract etc. If you’re in Alberta it probably won’t be as easy as that. I’m of course only speaking for New Brunswick but MB and SK have a very similar, if no identical PNP process, so it would depend on if those provinces will allow you to change mid way through, no problem in NB. I know a few who have done it here.

hi m8 its steve happy new year was on road thru all xmas and new year just got back to p e i and fly back uk tues hope alls well true brit :smiley:

These new rules have caused a bit of confussion ive spoke to a few companies but there having problems obtaining new lmo’s I wouldn’t of thought it would of been a problem seeing as I Already have the work petmit and I’m here in Canada

chef sauce:
These new rules have caused a bit of confussion ive spoke to a few companies but there having problems obtaining new lmo’s I wouldn’t of thought it would of been a problem seeing as I Already have the work petmit and I’m here in Canada

Yes but you need a new LMIA to obtain a new WP for a new company, you cannot just change the name of the company on the WP you have now. The rest as Robin says above.

Ok that’s cleared things up thanks Robin Hood and Nelig

It costs a company $1000 to apply for a LMIA; so you have to make any company that wants to employ you pretty sure that you will stay for at least 2 years so they can get their moneys-worth out of you. You do already have a licence and won’t cost them the airfare from the UK so that should be to your advantage. Lets hope Human Resources Canada don’t hold your job change against you.

ChrisArbon:
Lets hope Human Resources Canada don’t hold your job change against you.

On that note, I’ve known people in NB be rejected for PNP because they’ve changed jobs a few times and told to re-apply in two years and to make sure they’ve been with the same firm the entire time. These days you just cannot afford hold ups like that.

chef sauce:

The best thing for you to do in light of how tight things are becoming now is to try and bear it where you are and get PNP/PR. What province are you in and how long do you have to be in the same job before you’re eligible to apply? It used to be 6 months in NB when I went through the whole thing but its 12 months these days. Any one know what it is in AB, SK and MB?

It was 6mths, maybe Taffy will know if any different.
I don’t think the $1000 will make any difference, especially to the big Co’s, like FTTM said on another thread, that’s only the price of a tank of Diesel.

robinhood_1984:

chef sauce:

The best thing for you to do in light of how tight things are becoming now is to try and bear it where you are and get PNP/PR. What province are you in and how long do you have to be in the same job before you’re eligible to apply? It used to be 6 months in NB when I went through the whole thing but its 12 months these days. Any one know what it is in AB, SK and MB?

to be blunt I’m getting ■■■… Around with the crowd I work for there is no way I could stick it where I’am i would be going home as I’m earning nothing and couldnt see the point in staying here as my face hasnt fitted in

Hi chef sauce. I’very been here since May in lethbridge and to be honest I’ve had enough of being treated like ■■■■. I would strongly advise anyone thinking of coming here to think twice . Certain companies think they can get away with intimidating drivers and just because we are on twp we will put up with their ■■■■■■■■. I gave up everything to come here with my family . Don’t get me wrong it’s a great place and my family have settled in well. But with the changes that have taken place with the immigration system and unscrupulous companies here it means a very worrying time.

chef sauce:

robinhood_1984:

chef sauce:

to be blunt I’m getting ■■■… Around with the crowd I work for there is no way I could stick it where I’am i would be going home as I’m earning nothing and couldnt see the point in staying here as my face hasnt fitted in

p

What province are you in ?

crt:
Hi chef sauce. I’very been here since May in lethbridge and to be honest I’ve had enough of being treated like [zb]. I would strongly advise anyone thinking of coming here to think twice . Certain companies think they can get away with intimidating drivers and just because we are on twp we will put up with their [zb]. I gave up everything to come here with my family . Don’t get me wrong it’s a great place and my family have settled in well. But with the changes that have taken place with the immigration system and unscrupulous companies here it means a very worrying time.

No second guessing who you work for.

This is why I constantly bang on about not doing reefer work for any company who needs foreign drivers and to be very picky when it comes to getting a job, do not hurry head first in to any old job because they’ve offered it to you, a way in to Canada for the sake of a way in to Canada can end in disaster. A bad job in Canada is far worse than a bad job back home and can see the whole thing go down the drain for the driver.
To the OP, I fully understand your frustrations with your job, I felt the same in my first one and barely managed to stick it out long enough to get PR. The very day I got my email confirming PR I handed my notice in and it was one of the most difficult year and a half’s of my life. I almost jacked in several times and still sometimes don’t know how I managed to carry on so long in such a dire job. Every job since has been much better though, and while it is much harder finding the right balance in Canada between wages/time at work/time at home than it is in the UK, things have only gone upwards since leaving that awful job.

if you go to work for THAT company in lethbridge make sure you receive a lmia for the MB yard /depot not an AB one if you run out of the MB yard you are under MB pnp rules.

Hi, guys, believe it or not i dont work for that company,. i was advised to stay away from there. Truth is i work for for the other one. We even have drivers that came from said company and are actually saying they were treated better there than where they are now.

at least I don’t have a family I’m single and do sympathise to drivers who are married because firms here will treat you like crap because they know they can get away with it they know how to bend the rules I have a manitoba lmo but I’m based on the side of the road as I live in the truck , I work out of calgary alberta mostly don’t know what will happen if I do decide to get pr as I have no connection to that Provence .

chef sauce:
at least I don’t have a family I’m single and do sympathise to drivers who are married because firms here will treat you like crap because they know they can get away with it they know how to bend the rules I have a manitoba lmo but I’m based on the side of the road as I live in the truck , I work out of calgary alberta mostly don’t know what will happen if I do decide to get pr as I have no connection to that Provence .

You won’t be getting PNP from a province unless you can demonstrate that you’re living there. A few years ago the whole process was a lot easier, when I did it all in 2009/10 it was little more than an administrative process with an almost 100% chance of getting PNP but things are much much harder now and those with a weak application often get knocked back.
The Alberta PNP system has never being to my liking due to the power it gives the employer. If I were in your boat, doing a job I didn’t like and couldn’t stick at it, I’d try and get another job in MB (or maybe SK?) and have a fresh start.

Hi Robin. You might be right. A fresh start in another province might just work. My only problem then is my kids are settled in school here now and my wife has an open work permit. But I suppose all that is irrelevant if the eventual goal of obtaining pr is not going to be achieved here in alberta due to the system and employers who lie and manipulate the system to their own advantage and ultimately don’t give a ■■■■ to the family that have sacrificed everything to have a new life …