Looking for info on Canada

Hi everyone. My Wife and Are looking at emigrating to Nova Scotia, Canada in about 3 years time. I’ve had my fill of police work which I’ve been doing for the last 20 years (to much to list here for my reasons). I was driving class 1 vehicles before that and still do on my days off for a company when I can to this day.
My Wife works for people with learning difficulties and would like to do her social worker degree. The plan is to leave my job and take what money I can which can be used for my Wife’s studies.
When this is done we will hopefully make the move which is something we have wanted to do for sometime.
So there’s a little background and my question, is there anyone who could let me know of a company I could possibly contact and who would be interested in someone like me coming over and driving for them. I would be willing to do nights away but only around 3 nights a week if that’s at all possible.
I know there is much I need to learn with regards to relocating but anything to be going on with would be very welcome.
Thank you
Dave

don’t bother spending the money on your wifes study in the UK…she can do the study thing over here ,Canada is strange when it comes to foreign qualifications,ie doctors driving cabs etc.
unless you or your other half is Canadian or you are applying for PR (permanent residency) before arriving ,I would say you would be coming as a temporary worker ,2yr work permit if not nominated by NS in that time back to the UK you go not allowed back to work for 4yrs.
The area you are looking at is well known for low driver wages…and the hope that away for 3nights a week aint going to happen nope think 7-10days.
At the moment there is a stop on lmias (lmo) but I recon the door will crack open a bit in the new year.
other posters from the East will prob come on and give more advice …my advice think MB &SK when the door opens.
jimmy.

Hi Jimmy, many thanks for your reply. Any info is a help so thanks for taking the time.
As we have the time we would look at applying for PR but I was hoping that if things moved quicker than expected that I could work my PR.
I was at one point looking to transfer over as a police officer as some states offer the PNP (provincial Nominee Program) but as I say I’m fed up with all that.
I thought It may be the case to work more nights away so will have to think that through.

If your wife can get a study permit, you can get an open work permit off the back of it.
Go on the cic website, it explains it all there.

Go on Facebook and join maple leaf Brits, it’s all about immigration (anything unrelated gets binned) and could tell you what you want to know.

Why Nova Scotia? You’ll not be doing yourself any favours in locating there if you want to be a truck driver. It’ll be long haul or nothing and when you do get PR the wages for a local job will be pretty dire, if you can find one at all.

Thank you to all your replies.

With regards to my Wife studying over there that could be a good option.

I’ve never wanted to use Facebook but will look into that, thanks.

Nova Scotia is a place we fell in love with but we can be flexible. would Alberta be a better alternative do you think?

Casper68:
Hi everyone. My Wife and Are looking at emigrating to Nova Scotia, Canada in about 3 years time. I’ve had my fill of police work which I’ve been doing for the last 20 years (to much to list here for my reasons).
Dave

Have you 20yrs service completed in your Police pension :question: :question:
“Only” another 10yrs until you qualify for full pension rights,
have you looked at the figures you’ll receive then (Serious dough) :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Looking to emigrate in 3yrs time would leave you looking at a short 7yrs to accrue your full Police pension rights,
thats when I would emigrate :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

Leaving@ 20yrs service your 20yr pension will be “deferred” until you turn 60yrs. :cry:

Big Truck:

Casper68:
Hi everyone. My Wife and Are looking at emigrating to Nova Scotia, Canada in about 3 years time. I’ve had my fill of police work which I’ve been doing for the last 20 years (to much to list here for my reasons).
Dave

have you looked at the figures you’ll receive then (Serious dough) :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Looking to emigrate in 3yrs time would leave you looking at a short 7yrs to accrue your full Police pension rights,

Leaving@ 20yrs service your 20yr pension will be “deferred” until you turn 60yrs. :cry:

I know only to well what your saying. In 3 years I will be 50 so can get at my pension (lump sum) so we could use the money to make changes now why we are still young. I would have to wait until I’m 60 to receive anything if I left now so it makes sense to keep at it for a couple more years.
It’s not something I do lightly because your right, the last 5 years in a 30 year service are the most lucrative. But things are not as they were, things are changing so much I really don’t know where the service will be in the next 3 years let alone 10. We are now paying nearly £500 a month in pension alone but it’s all changing and the poor sods that have only 10 years or less have been told that that will be canceled out and they still need to do 30 so in a few years you will have 60 year olds doing street work. Good luck with that. Civilians have now come into the job management and try to run it like a business and not a public service and that’s only a bad thing. I transferred to a county force about 7 months ago from the Mets Royalty protection having been told that the new post would be the same full time position but it’s not and I now have to do response work again dealing with domestics and people not thinking twice about pulling a knife on you. I’ve been there and done that and i’m sick of it.

Casper68:

Big Truck:

Casper68:
Dave

I know only to well what your saying. In 3 years I will be 50 so can get at my pension (lump sum) so we could use the money to make changes now why we are still young. I would have to wait until I’m 60 to receive anything if I left now so it makes sense to keep at it for a couple more years.
It’s not something I do lightly because your right, the last 5 years in a 30 year service are the most lucrative. But things are not as they were, things are changing so much I really don’t know where the service will be in the next 3 years let alone 10. We are now paying nearly £500 a month in pension alone but it’s all changing and the poor sods that have only 10 years or less have been told that that will be canceled out and they still need to do 30 so in a few years you will have 60 year olds doing street work. Good luck with that. Civilians have now come into the job management and try to run it like a business and not a public service and that’s only a bad thing. I transferred to a county force about 7 months ago from the Mets Royalty protection having been told that the new post would be the same full time position but it’s not and I now have to do response work again dealing with domestics and people not thinking twice about pulling a knife on you. I’ve been there and done that and i’m sick of it.

I would seriously look at transferring somewhere diff again.
Taking an “actuarily reduced” pension@ 50yrs will leave you badly out of pocket unless you intend to “kick the bucket”@ 57yrs :exclamation: :exclamation:
Remember your £500month in now gets you £1500month out@ 57yrs PLUS your approx TAX FREE £140k commutation,
ain’t no other pension no how nowhere can get anywhere near :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

PSNI were looking transferee D/Cons etc not so long ago,
not many “numptys” pull a knife on you when your carrying a Glock17
and 50rds 9mm :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

Hi BT, i wish it was still £140k but that’s dropped by around £60k and now we are being told we will go onto a new pension in a couple of years so who knows where it will end.
I have thought about transferring and will continue to do so but my hearts just not in it anymore.
I know it sounds sad and some May question why but I do still actually enjoy driving trucks. If my Wife could do her studies with the money we would both be happy.

Casper68:
I would be willing to do nights away but only around 3 nights a week if that’s at all possible.

This is going to all put prevent you from getting in to Canada or if you do, be satisfied with staying. Just about every job that you’d be able to enter on would be long haul and not to be funny, but if you called any of those firms and said you’re willing to do 3 night away a week they’d laugh at you and tell you they’d expect you to be gone down the road for 7-14 days and then have 36 hours off. You might love Nova Scotia but I don’t think you’d love working there. If you could stick it out long enough to get residence, provided you could even get two consecutive TWP’s to all allow for a PNP application, once PR has been granted you may be able to get a very long hours for very low pay local job and be home every night for a few hours sleep between 16+ hour shifts but its not going to be much of a life.
Unless you can enter with your wife’s newly acquired degree so you’re free to do whatever job you want, you’ll be stuck with the above for options in Nova Scotia. Is that really what you want?

Hi Rh, it’s not to good is it but I need to know these things so thank you for the advise.
Lots to think about.

Why not use the wifes qualifications to come over??