Bison looking for drivers

Hi guys its been awhile since my last post still in the uk waiting for the lima mess to be sorted out, h&r were putting back applications to 2015. We are applying through my wife as an early years educator, but again nothing moves fast in Canada, 15 weeks to get her qualification assessed is a joke!!!. Anyway out of the blue I received an email from bison transport asking if I would be interested in applying for a position with them, although it is of know use to me now I was wondering if any of you guys know of anyone who is looking at coming over or a change over there already. I don’t know much about them but I guess it’s a start if anything.

hi m8 was one of best outfits to work for in canada dont know if thats changed , ive been back in uk 4 3mths just got back to canada ,

stevejones:
hi m8 was one of best outfits to work for in canada dont know if thats changed , ive been back in uk 4 3mths just got back to canada ,

Hey Steve,
Bison, one of the best in Canada ? I think that might be stretching it a little. They might be one of the better of the big outfits but that’s as far as it goes.
Terryx6, I would grab what you can because I haven’t heard of, or seen anyone advertising with LMIA’s in Alberta.

albertacanada.com/opportunit … r-lmo.aspx

might be worth a read.

or even better

albertacanada.com/opportunit … rkers.aspx

or maybe

kijiji.ca/b-jobs/alberta/lmia-lmo/k0c45l9003

I have a problem in that the eldest is 19 next May so I wouldn’t have enough time to get out and put the time in and apply for pr before he is 19. I was meant to start at h&r in September and was told starting at westcan before the end of the year, this has come to late for me to do anything with, my wives job is on the skills list so we are on with that at the minute and it leads to pr straightaway. I was just letting fellow trucks know that there is hope at least!

Terryx6:
I have a problem in that the eldest is 19 next May so I wouldn’t have enough time to get out and put the time in and apply for pr before he is 19. I was meant to start at h&r in September and was told starting at westcan before the end of the year, this has come to late for me to do anything with, my wives job is on the skills list so we are on with that at the minute and it leads to pr straightaway. I was just letting fellow trucks know that there is hope at least!

So, you are saying Bison has LMIA’s available ?

Oliver Bates, a pre-hire recruiting assistant from bison emailed me yesterday and asked if I would like to follow up interest in joining bison and review current opportunities with them his number is 1.800.462.4766 or www.bisondriving.com, they must have Lima’s available to start contacting people outside canada. Like i said early I am stuck with the age of the eldest kid, but someone somewhere this could be a great help.

Bison like to consider themselves the premier haulage company in Canada; the biggest hurdle in joining them before was that they used to employ an immigration agent and the driver had to pay. I know several drivers who paid the fee and thought that it was good value as they got a good job from day one. Also many drivers left Big Freight to go to Bison, many are still there. There are also Brits at Bison’s flat -deck division; Searcy Trucking.

They have good equipment, plenty of work and a variety of work patterns; the pay seems to be average for the industry with the turnpike doubles being the best cents per mile. This seems to me to be an excellent opportunity.

When i enquired with them a couple of years back, the only way theyd hire you was by using their immigration lawyers and the cost was $7k -$8k so i didnt bother, $150 for a work permit and DIY sounded a much more viable option

russjp:
When i enquired with them a couple of years back, the only way theyd hire you was by using their immigration lawyers and the cost was $7k -$8k so i didnt bother, $150 for a work permit and DIY sounded a much more viable option

You’re right, do they still charge this ?
I think this is a very grey area in Canadian law whether they can charge the driver or not. Not a problem if the company pay.

Bison were the first company I approached when considering Canada but as said above regarding the immigration lawyers or whatever they are, that put me off. I ended up paying $3000 to the company I came to NB for but that included accommodation and training and just about everything else and while it sounds like a lot, it worked out less than others I know who came here for different companies had no upfront costs but and had to rent a room/apartment and pay for their own training etc. The money Bison/their cronies wanted was nothing short of extortion though.

hey neil yes agree but compared 2 east coast slave driving lieing 2 faced fu…ers l.o.l trust me there pretty good :smiley:

stevejones:
hey neil yes agree but compared 2 east coast slave driving lieing 2 faced fu…ers l.o.l trust me there pretty good :smiley:

Haha, agree.
Are you back here again now ?

TransX in “06” wanted IIRC £6000.

hi neil yes but only till end of january missis had 2 come back over sort some things out

I opened a can of worms then!!! There was no mention of fees etc, I know a lot of guys are stuck in a predicament which is not there doing, and thought this might be of interest to them as a stepping stone.

Terryx6:
I opened a can of worms then!!! There was no mention of fees etc, I know a lot of guys are stuck in a predicament which is not there doing, and thought this might be of interest to them as a stepping stone.

No can of worms mate. They just used to charge via another company a huge amount of money for very little and none of us are sure if thats the case any more. I remember when I approached them, they practically bit my hand off but very shortly afterwards said I’d have to do it via this other firm whom from memory were run by a German or perhaps two Germans who’d lived in Canada for many years and the fee’s they wanted were absurd.

Might be worth responding to their email asking if they still use this avenue?

I remember when I was told to take a trailer to bison.

A mate of mine came over with Bison and did their thing with the immigration agency, but he had PR status granted before he even landed in Canada, so while it may be expensive on the surface, with all the shenanigans going on with LMIA and the rest of it, going with their immigration agency may eliminate all the problems associated with that and that will make it worth every penny they charge.

As an aside, my mate hated Bison, but then he would moan that he had too much money if he won the lottery, so maybe there’s no fire to go with the smoke.

I seem to remember him saying that after serving a certain amount of time, maybe 5yrs, he got some of the money back, but I’m not sure.

Whatever, it’s definitely a better option than any of the meat in the seat AB companies.

The LMIA thing is a real problem now, our place cant get them for transport or warehouse people, supposed to be a few more local drivers starting soon, i`d give them 3 months tops lol