Any chance of finding anything?

I’ve just achieved my class 2 licence and would love to travel to America, Australia or Canada to work for a few months. What chance do I have of finging owt and where should I look? much obliged…

In all three countries, your chances are slim to none & slim’s outta town, sorry.

If you’re young (under 25) then you might be able to get a working visa to support tourist travel down under. For everyone else, though, I think you need to be looking at a Class 1 licence before thinking about overseas work. Even so, neither Australia nor New Zealand are currently accepting truck driver visa applications generally (although NZ may have temporary shortages around Canterbury and might allow short term Class 1 drivers in to support the earthquake cleanup effort, but not leading to permanent residency).

Canada seems to be in the process of dramatically curtailing overseas temporary foreign workers in the trucking industry (and elsewhere), so presumably the haulage companies are laying off foreign drivers to get within the decreasing quota restrictions rather than taking on any new ones.

I don’t understand all the Canadian rules, but it MIGHT be that if you intend to apply for permanent residency then a haulage firm might be willing to take you on for six months, get you in the PR applicant queue and thus no longer have to class you as a temporary foreign worker because you are classed as ‘implied status’ and therefore no longer count as part of the TFW workforce limit.

Someone will no doubt help clarify this further if I have misunderstood.

There was a guy guy here recently with an offer for young guys (23-29 I think) that was suggesting he could place people on a work visa in Auz. Not sure how legit it is, I have no idea of the regs, worth a search on here if you fit the criteria

Tim85:
There was a guy guy here recently with an offer for young guys (23-29 I think) that was suggesting he could place people on a work visa in Auz. Not sure how legit it is, I have no idea of the regs, worth a search on here if you fit the criteria

I think what he was saying was, if you can get a visa, he can give you a job.

Thanks fella’s. I’m 29 so pushing it as a ‘‘young’’ driver. I found that guy offering a placement in Oz (subject to 2 year work visa). I’ll probably concentrate on finding a steady rigid job here and working towarads my artic licence and keep my ears open for a skills shortage sometime in the future.

Angloman:
Thanks fella’s. I’m 29 so pushing it as a ‘‘young’’ driver. I found that guy offering a placement in Oz (subject to 2 year work visa). I’ll probably concentrate on finding a steady rigid job here and working towarads my artic licence and keep my ears open for a skills shortage sometime in the future.

You could try to get an IEC visa for Canada which is for 18 - 30 year olds.
If you qualify, you get a 12 mth open work permit which means any job you want with an option of renewing it for another 12 mths.
Go on www.cic.gc.ca and put in IEC visa if you are interested in that, they will be opening that again around Dec/Jan.

neilg14:

Angloman:

If you qualify, you get a 12 mth open work permit which means any job you want with an option of renewing it for another 12 mths.
Go on cic.gc.ca and put in IEC visa if you are interested in that, they will be opening that again around Dec/Jan.

I did the questionaire and it said that I may quailfy. Not sure what to do next though.

Radar19:

neilg14:

Angloman:

Go on cic.gc.ca and put in IEC visa if you are interested in that, they will be opening that again around Dec/Jan.

I did the questionaire and it said that I may quailfy. Not sure what to do next though.

You go on the cic website and register all your details and watch out for when they open up. It’s usually Dec & Jan but the dates change every year.
You have to be there on your PC the minute they open it, last year I tried for my son and missed getting a place on it.
5000 placements went in 30 mins twice, it’s like rolling a dice.