What to pack?

I know there’s a couple of threads on this but circumstances are different for each so here goes,
I’m hoping to be in calgary mid November! Other than the paperwork what would you put in your suitcase? Obviously it must be stuff that will clear customs!!
I’m going out on my own first then when the house is finally sold my wife and 12 y/o daughter will be over.
I have warm jumpers and jeans etc but was thinking of buying boots and coats when j get there. Also will be buying kit for the truck on arrival so tools, chargers, etc
What are peoples opinions and any decent kit that works well and you would not be without ?
Any hints and advice will be greatly appreciated
Cheers

200 Marlboro and a box of Toffee Crisps for me please. :smiley:

you can buy quite cheaply in the Thrift stores and 9 out of 10 its good quality …
even buying household items including electrical goods is a good starter

As an ex smoker I salute you re the Marlboro, those things are ■■■■■■■■. You could alternatively hold your face near the exhaust pipe on the truck and take a few lungfulls :wink:
Is marmite still outlawed in canada? Might have to chuck some in a shampoo bottle and smuggle it in:)
I’ve heard the thrift stores are good for the winter gear, do you guys layer up or just have a decent coat? (Or both)

My sons moved from the UK to Canada in 2008/9/10 (three sons).

Top of the list for me to take out on visits used to be Marks & Spencers long underwear as it was better than they could buy in Canada. Now they aren’t bothered about having M & S long johns. I guess they have acclimatized.

They also wanted UK chocolate but now prefer the local versions.

There are a few things you can’t get in Canada but nothing you’ll not manage without and the toys are so much better in Canada. (I mean big boys toys, not kids stuff.) There are importers of Brit foods etc but they charge extortionate prices. Some of the supermarkets stock British items such as baked beans. Proper fish & chips is hard to find although there are some places that pretend to be Ye Olde Chippy. Kebabs there are made from beef, not lamb or chicken. (not that you’d notice the difference, it could be anything in most kebabs here or there.)
Vinegar is almost always white vinegar even in the chippy. Malt vinegar is uncommon, sort of a specialized item that weird people buy.

Fast food is available everywhere. You can often see the next branch of the same fast food joint while standing outside the door of the one you’re at.
Mcdonald’s food is almost always luke warm, but they make the best coffee. Tim Horton’s has good doughnuts and pretty good coffee. Then there is Starbucks, Second Cup, A & W, Wendy’s, Dairy Queen, Burger King and loads of others. Route 99 diner in Edmonton gets the thumbs up from me.

Declare every bit of foodstuffs you have with you when you land including chocolate, biscuits etc. They can be a bit touchy at the border.

Check out Mark’s Workwear when you get there. This company has branches all over the place. They sell padded winter versions of all in one worksuits. jackets, coats and pants (trousers) with the required reflective safety markings. These differ from European markings.

marks.com/shop/en/marks-mark … talog/mens

This place is much cheaper but the quality is poorer. More of a short term buy, wear a few times and replace with an other cheapy item.
armyandnavy.ca/Workwear_c_408-1-2.html

Then there is Walmart, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Sears, HBC etc who all sell workwear at various prices and qualities.
You can Google them yourself :smiley:

Thanks BJD! I did kick the a*** out of the fast food when I visited in March so I’ll have to keep that in check!! I’ll check out marks workwear though, I shall see what’s supplied (or not) by the employer and go from there
:smiley:

Dereko:
Thanks BJD! I did kick the a*** out of the fast food when I visited in March so I’ll have to keep that in check!! I’ll check out marks workwear though, I shall see what’s supplied (or not) by the employer and go from there
:smiley:

Oops. I’ve edited my post since you read it.

Mark’s Workwear has now changed to just Mark’s.
Owned by Canadian Tire they are now stocking less & less work gear & eventually fading it out in favour of general clothing.

neilg14:
Owned by Canadian Tire they are now stocking less & less work gear & eventually fading it out in favour of general clothing.

Ok thanks Neil. I’m in the UK at the moment, I was last there in August 2013. I think the last time I was in Mark’s was about 3 or 4 years ago and they had lots of work gear. You live and learn on this forum. :slight_smile:

Go to Walmart or Kmart first chance you get, buy a full insulated winter overall suit or bib and braces with jacket, same quality as Carhart but half the price, it can be minus 40f out there in winter, but some insulated boots to go with them. I didn’t buy any when I first came here and froze my nuts off on several occasions, after buying the outfit I see how reckless I was.

Big Jon’s dad:

neilg14:

Ok thanks Neil. I’m in the UK at the moment, I was last there in August 2013. I think the last time I was in Mark’s was about 3 or 4 years ago and they had lots of work gear. You live and learn on this forum. :slight_smile:

The one I go to, I have used for about 6 yrs, and going there at the start it was probably about 90% workwear but now it’s down to about 10 - 15%, shame really, although expensive, it was quality gear.

Great stuff, thanks gents !