Pnp/pr question

Sorry to ask but since the new lmia have come in, what constitutes long haul truck driver?
Do you have to cross in to US or is hauling from one province to another enough to satisfy the pnp/pr criteria come application time ?
Cheers

I don’t know what the actual criteria is but you don’t have to haul into the US.
Some of the hauliers before LMIA that had LMO’s only run Canada, whether that has changed now or not, I don’t know.
I’ve read this week that LMIA applications by companies for Work Permits are down by 74% since it changed over from LMO.

hi m8 its down to company doing l.m.o. they put long haul driver on form :smiley:

Ah that clears it up nicely thanks guys :slight_smile:

Just googled the definition of “Long Haul” and in BC according to Govt website, it’s anything over 160km from base.
Another unofficial website says anything over 250 miles.
I’m pretty sure on my LMO when I came here, it said Long Haul was International Transportation but like was said before, many companies with LMO’s run Canada only, ie. Westcan, Loblaws, etc.

I don’t know how things stand now with this new LMIA but it didn’t used to matter that much before, in New Brunswick at least. Sunbury employed quite a few Europeans, including an English friend of mine on wood chip work doing 12 hour shifts between mills and home every night/day.
As for not crossing the border. You could easily be employed by a NB firm and do regular runs between NB/NS and Alberta and BC which would be longer trips than the vast majority of cross border work, without ever leaving the country.
I don’t know how your chances of getting a work permit at the moment are though. Since this big upheaval I haven’t heard of anyone new coming in at all and an existing driver who’s been here two years was on the verge of being asked to leave and only just got a work permit about two days before his other one expired but he was already in the system for PNP I believe, although he can’t of had it yet as he wouldn’t have needed an LMIA if he had a PNP certificate from the province.

160 kms from base in Saskatchewan, i was discussing it with the gaffer the other day :wink:

As Canada is the second biggest country on the globe it shouldn’t be too hard to do mega long trips without crossing the border. :slight_smile:

Not 100% sure on this but I think if you work for an International company then you have to cross the border.
I worked for a company that brought over Brits but they were on a City contract.
Here in AB, you can’t get PR on the back of City work, so they were told they had to go onto USA work and submit 6 mths log books to prove the long haul for AINP.
If you work for a Canada only or even Provincial only company, then as long as you go out of the 160km from base, that will constitute as long haul.

Trust Alberta to prat about like that.

Yep, that sums it up.

Can do Canada only Neil plenty of guys at H&R do that.