From the horse's mouth

With all the recent stuff about the TFW programs, I thought it may be useful to hear what Federal Employment Minister Jason Kenney had to say on the subject.

“I thought about shutting the program down, but comprised to phase it out instead so as not to kill businesses” said Kenney.

He went on to add that one in four companies participating will be subject to inspection and that 20 more inspectors will be hired to bring the total to 60.

Those that abuse the system will be subject to fines up to $100,000.

The cost per TFW will rise from $275 to $1000 and the above takes effect immediately.

From this fall the number of positions filled and the names of the employers will be made public.

The time a TFW can be employed will be reduced from four years to two years.

And that ladies and gentlemen is that!

Out of interest, do they have plenty of Canadians waiting to plug the gap that will be left once the TFWs are no more?

I sort of presumed that the reason companies used TFW was because they couldn’t recruit domestically?

ye m8 sounds like well we have had as many of u that we need so now we shutting the door slowly but as soon as we can .very Canadian l.o.l

IMHO the problem isn’t within the trucking industry. All this uproar started over some shenanigans in Tim Horton’s and McDonald’s AFAIK.

The public will get behind that too as both places are very popular with the Canadians and it frustrates the hell out of them when the person taking their order doesn’t speak English.

There were also some hotels that were a bit dodgy. One trucking firm, Eassons, was under investigation and had their LMO suspended, but they were found innocent and it was reinstated.

There are some I’ll feelings towards the Indians that drive trucks, typical racist stuff, sometimes the I’ll feeling is warranted as they can be terrible drivers and the companies they own have a reputation for slashing rates. Their bathroom habits don’t do them any favours either TBH.

We’ll have to see what happens, I can’t see a bunch of Canadians suddenly wanting to become truck drivers, so the problem will still exist and if predicted economic growth is correct, there’s going to be a lot of loads sitting on the warehouse floor in the next few years…

u got it driver :smiley:

There are tens of thousands of Canadians with a class 1 driving licence that don’t currently use them according to CBC radio, but until terms and conditions improve, they will not want to gallop back behind the wheel and those poor T’s and C’s have been made possibly by the constant source of foreign drivers such as myself and just about everybody else on here. There isn’t a shortage of drivers in Canada, there’s a shortage of good jobs. I’m hoping this current state of affairs will improve things for all of us, get rid of some of the cowboys, or at least make them move on with the times if they want to stay in business and then for Canadians, foreigners with PR and those who will subsequently come in on TWP’s later, the job will be worth doing and not just seen as a nightmare to be endured for X amount of years until they get PR which is all a good percentage of the jobs are at the moment.
Get rid of the meat in the seat attitude, get rid of the idea that a driver signs on for a life of indentured servitude and has to ask permission 14 days in advance to be allowed to go home on day release and get rid of the dozens of hours each week that some companies keep their drivers sitting for no money and the job doesn’t look so bad.

At my time at Donnelly Farms, I witnessed several very keen Canadians fork out several thousand dollars to gain their CDL, only to then be let loose in the real world, at Donnelly’s and other such local firms. Every single one of them jacked in within 2 months because they just couldn’t hack the feeling of their life being over, being made to feel like they couldn’t go home and punished for it if they did by being given no work afterwards. Also, like any other sane person, they couldn’t accept being away from their family and being made to sit for no pay for up to 25 hours a week at different coldstores (Loblaws etc). As far as I know, they all went back to their minimum wage factory jobs, which says it all.

There certainly is a problem with the trucking industry, at least with certain parts of it and the only way to address the issue is to fix the problem. Bringing in more and more and more drivers who end up leaving because the jobs are terrible is about as effective as fixing a leaking bucket by pouring more water in to it. Its a waste of time and effort and does absolutely nothing for the water already in the bucket.

As for upping the number of inspectors to 60, they should just about be able to manage in the Maritimes with that number, but how many are they having in other parts of Canada?!?!

I completely agree with everything you just said.

The only trouble is the solutions to the problem have so far been conspicuous by their absence.

Improving wages and paying by the hour instead of by the mile would improve things for current OTR drivers, it may get a few that have left the industry to return, it will make it a more attractive job for those considering it as a career.

But that’s not enough, nowhere near it, there isn’t enough money in the job to pay enough to make the job attractive to people who wouldn’t ordinarily consider driving truck as an option.

My thoughts are that the industry is broken and it needs fixing, times and attitudes have changed, yet we still do things the way they’ve always been done.

You will only attract people that were going to join the industry anyway, no matter how much you pay if drivers are expected to be away for multiple weeks with very little time off in between trips.

The job needs to become more regional, more like a relay, where you run out and back in a day, couple days or a week, depending on how you like to work. It won’t tie up more trucks as it will improve the efficiency of them.

Obviously there will still be the need for trucks to run wild, so those that want that can still do the big long mystery tour trips.

As in changeovers now that could work for you guys…NMM you still desk man or you driving again yet…

I’d be more than happy with a guaranteed day rate of X amount of dollars per day and a mileage bonus on top of that to encourage drivers not to become bone idle time wasters like we see in the UK these days. Pay the driver enough of a guaranteed minimum so that if he sits around all day through no fault of his own it doesn’t hammer his wages and it encourages the company to run things efficiently rather than just picking the load with the biggest dollar sign next to it on face value. Then pay a mileage bonus that is hefty enough to make it worth while to crack on with the job, but not have it so high at the detriment of the day rate that its the only way to make the job pay. I think if OTR drivers in Canada went to purely hourly pay they’d end up being as productive as an American driver tossing it off in truckstops all day, and that would just be embarrassing.

cliffystephens:
As in changeovers now that could work for you guys…NMM you still desk man or you driving again yet…

Back on the road mate, you must’ve missed the thread on here that went into great detail about it, maybe Chris Arbon will put it in his next book :laughing:

robinhood_1984:
I’d be more than happy with a guaranteed day rate of X amount of dollars per day and a mileage bonus on top of that to encourage drivers not to become bone idle time wasters like we see in the UK these days. Pay the driver enough of a guaranteed minimum so that if he sits around all day through no fault of his own it doesn’t hammer his wages and it encourages the company to run things efficiently rather than just picking the load with the biggest dollar sign next to it on face value. Then pay a mileage bonus that is hefty enough to make it worth while to crack on with the job, but not have it so high at the detriment of the day rate that its the only way to make the job pay. I think if OTR drivers in Canada went to purely hourly pay they’d end up being as productive as an American driver tossing it off in truckstops all day, and that would just be embarrassing.

Now we disagree, not in philosophy, but in practical terms.

The set up out here DOES allow for maximum efficiency from the trucks and drivers, you may not think so as you see and experience trucks sitting waiting for loads or spending countless hours at a loading dock.

But think about it, or even use your own experience. The truck will still do its 12000miles that month, so the company will still gets its money out of it.

It may be sat waiting for a load or waiting at a warehouse to get loaded or unloaded, but it ain’t costing them a penny, they know the driver will go as hard as necessary to make up for the lost time as he also needs those 12000miles each month.

Now let’s compare that with my experience at Paul Brandt, we got waiting time and paid layover, we also got “dark money” for night runs.

They could afford waiting time as one, it was very rare and two, it was passed on to the customer, as was the night work premium. So it never affected their bottom line.

But and this is a huge but, not every company has the work that they had, some companies have no choice as their customers will not pay anything other than a simple freight rate and that’s it.

The multinationals are by far the worst in this respect. So what’s a trucking company to do? Turn down work for a blue chip client? Work that is regular, work that is (under the current system) profitable, work that has a guarantee that they will get their invoice paid in full and on time. Any company director turning that kind of work down would be mad.

The only way this industry is ever going to change is if it is forced to change and the only way I see that happening is by the introduction of elogs and very strict enforcement of the HOS regulations with severe penalties for infringements.

Think of VOSA on steroids with a turbo, but with guns too!!!

So be careful what you wish for, the unintended consequences could make you a lot worse off than you are now.

Now I’ll throw a spanner in the works, I reckon it’s fine as it is. Yes there are a load of crap jobs out there, but us moaning about them is just the same as an Eastern European driver moving to Britain and crying that he can’t get a job on the tankers or car transporters with top money and top conditions.

It took me a lot longer to get a decent top of the tree job in Britain than it did in Canada and even though I had 20yrs experience when I got here, I was still a rookie, so effectively starting from the bottom and working my way up, earning my stripes in the process.

I really think we should all take that into account before we ■■■■ and moan about how bad it is over here…

What country is best to go too

The regional work IE switchs etc would work for the bigger companies but not so much for small places. I could see my place having problems with something like that due to the nature of the work and that we work mostly mon-fri and customers are not open 24 hrs but I do like ya way of thinking journo.

CIC need to up their game and stop sitting on paperwork for so long also.

Yeah but if it works for the bigger companies they won’t have problems moving their freight and their OTR drivers can move on to jobs at the smaller firms if they want to carry on OTR.

Everyone’s a winner…

Shame you can’t run for parliament lol

That would never work, although it’s very small, I do have a little bit of common sense lol

Realy the Canadian situation is the same as the UK the fact is a lot of people dont want to drive trucks.
we seem to be having the start of a driver shortage for the less than good jobs sadly bogdan an friends can just rock up and cause carnage this side of the pond.

I did trip money for quite a while,Italy,yugo,aust,etc,until i woke up.parked up in linz (austria) for five days,living on tins of beans and cheap bread.Ill never forget the day i quit,the boss told me i was a tsser and not very flexible.He messed his pants when i told him some tacho’s were going to the ministry of transport.ps never sent them im not that petty.