TFW's

I’ve just read on another forum, a driver who was coming over on an LMO/TWP to Alberta has just been told by the company today, he was about to start with that they cannot meet the criteria of the new TFW rules and he will now not be joining the company, they have cancelled all foreign workers about to join them.
And also, the company said that the only existing driver they have on a WP now, has his PR paperwork in but they have been told that if his PR doesn’t arrive before his WP runs out,they will not be able to renew his WP.
So anybody who thinks these new rules won’t affect drivers are wrong.
Could this now mean conditions could improve for existing drivers ■■

I’ve just been told the same by another employer I was in contact with. The new conditions and fees mean they won’t be applying for any LMIA’s
Their one driver needs or by September or he has to go home, he’s just bought a house too!
I think this will be better for existing drivers on pr but obviously leaves lots of others in dire straits …

Must be same company, same story.

Once your paperwork has been accepted then you don’t need an LMO/LMIA that could save a lot of people but the waiting time to be accepted is upto 12 months.

taffytrucker:
Once your paperwork has been accepted then you don’t need an LMO/LMIA that could save a lot of people but the waiting time to be accepted is upto 12 months.

This ^^

If the driver already has PNP then no LMO is required for the next TWP any way and even if he doesn’t have PNP but his application is in and has been received, he’ll have “Implied Status” until he receives a decision for PR one way or the other. This may have all changed but I doubt those basics will be much altered.

robinhood_1984:

taffytrucker:

This ^^

If the driver already has PNP then no LMO is required for the next TWP any way and even if he doesn’t have PNP but his application is in and has been received, he’ll have “Implied Status” until he receives a decision for PR one way or the other. This may have all changed but I doubt those basics will be much altered.

I know what you’re saying is right but the company, because it doesn’t meet the new criteria cannot renew his WP, LMIA or no, or take on new TFW’s.
It’s the company saying that they cannot keep him there.

neilg14:
I know what you’re saying is right but the company, because it doesn’t meet the new criteria cannot renew his WP, LMIA or no, or take on new TFW’s.

But surely when his current TWP is close to expiry he’ll just nip down to the border with his PNP cert and whatever else is needed and get a new TWP? Although being in Alberta perhaps its different to the rest of the PNP provinces where the driver puts himself forward, rather than the Alberta model of company sponsorship? I’d imagine though that if he already has Alberta nomination and a permanent employment contract on paper from his company, thats all that will be required at the border for a new TWP and whatever his employer are saying should be irrelevant in reality. Probably just a case of them being confused by the changes to the law and not understanding what the situation is or isn’t.

robinhood_1984:

neilg14:

But surely when his current TWP is close to expiry he’ll just nip down to the border with his PNP cert and whatever else is needed and get a new TWP? Although being in Alberta perhaps its different to the rest of the PNP provinces where the driver puts himself forward, rather than the Alberta model of company sponsorship? I’d imagine though that if he already has Alberta nomination and a permanent employment contract on paper from his company, thats all that will be required at the border for a new TWP and whatever his employer are saying should be irrelevant in reality. Probably just a case of them being confused by the changes to the law and not understanding what the situation is or isn’t.

Again, I understand and agree with you but from what the email said from the company, they can no longer have any drivers working for them existing or new, that are on a WP, contract or not, it could well be just AB because of company sponsorship.
If the drivers contract is ended because of this, I don’t know what options he has unless he is given an open WP at the border.
This is the first one I’ve heard of since they changed the rules a few weeks ago, have to see what happens and see who can & can’t get LMO’s.

neilg14:
Again, I understand and agree with you but from what the email said from the company, they can no longer have any drivers working for them existing or new, that are on a WP, contract or not, it could well be just AB because of company sponsorship.
If the drivers contract is ended because of this, I don’t know what options he has unless he is given an open WP at the border.
This is the first one I’ve heard of since they changed the rules a few weeks ago, have to see what happens and see who can & can’t get LMO’s.

I think its a case of his company being confused and giving a knee jerk reaction. He’s already got Alberta PNP status so his current legal status is already above that of a mere TFW so he’s not even subject to these new rules in the same sense as they won’t be applying for an LMO in the first place to extend his stay, he’s beyond all that. As far as I can tell the changes will only affect new recruits or those already here who have not applied for PNP/PR and as such as simply just TFW’s and thats it. In legal terms he’s not simply an existing driver on a TWP he’s a PNP holder and “implied status” PR applicant so he’s safe as far as I can tell. He certainly needs to get some legal advice though as his company seem hell bent on booting him out, on grounds that seem unfounded to me. If he were a foreign driver who’d been here for X amount of years and not bothered to apply for PNP/PR then his company would or could be correct, but given his legal immigration status given to him by the province of Alberta and his implied status at federal level, his company are almost certainly in the wrong here.

He could soon settle all this by making a visit to the PNP office, wherever that is in Alberta. Here in NB we can phone or go in person to the PNP office in the provincial capital, Fredericton to ask questions or to get them to change the employer on the PNP cert so that you can change jobs before PR is granted. I know changing jobs is a “no no” in Alberta but they should at least be able to tell him that the certificate and legal status that guarantee’s his continual presence in Canada until a decision at federal level has been given by them isn’t worthless as his company are trying to have him believe.

I’m sure if his PNP has been accepted then he should be ok because you don’t need an LMO.

taffytrucker:
I’m sure if his PNP has been accepted then he should be ok because you don’t need an LMO.

Exactly. If he doesn’t need an LMO which he doesn’t, this change in law regarding LMO’s is totally irrelevant to his situation. As I’ve said above more than once, it would seem that his firm just don’t know what they’re talking about, are panicking and giving a knee jerk reaction to something they do not understand.

I think there’s a few firms out there who haven’t got a clue as to what’s going on

Renewing your WP at the border is being phased out very soon, my friend was at the border last week and was told by the officials that flagpoling is no longer going to be allowed and all TWP will need to be done online or by post.

which border was that m8 sounds like more changes glad im going home l.o.l

If it’s Coutts they’ve always been a$$holes there

ye remember it well big problems trying to get in with some bourbon from Kentucky not been that one since

stevejones:
which border was that m8 sounds like more changes glad im going home l.o.l

Regway it was

I’ve been looking into this as much as possible since I was dismissed just after the changes were announced. The company reacted by dismissing a couple of us who were just days short of three months with them. We immediately got offered jobs with other companies locally who are severely short staffed. Both of them had applied for LMO’s late last year and were in the final stages of compliance checks etc when the changes were announced. Since then Service Canada have just gone silent. they won’t even answer the phone to these guys so I’m stuck waiting in limbo with the funds running dry.
I can’t really find anything online to indicate what’s gonna happen with LMO’s that were in the process when the changes were announced. Considering most of the violations were in the food service industry and the transport industry in Canada is forecast to be something like 33,000 drivers short by next year this seems a little short sighted.
Anyway I was miffed about the whole thing so I wrote a few e-mails and now I have a meeting with an MP on Wednesday, apparently he wants to know what’s going on so I’ll put my case to him as best I can. Wish me luck fellas. :open_mouth:

I’ll wish you the best of luck . Ask the guy why immigration goal posts are so different for the Europeans compared to the Filipinos ? It might explain why the system has been exploited especially in the food service industry . Why are they given fast tracked status ? Why are they immediately allowed to bring over all distant family relatives ? How can they obtain Citizenship within 2 years ?
Nearly every gas station, conveniance store ,subway or timmies is now run and staffed by people who struggle to speak the language ,ignore basic food hygiene , and gouge on prices ,whilst subsequently undermining the Canadian standard of living .
Not sure when you arrived but I’m certain the hurdles are slightly higher for fellow members of the Commonwealth wishing to settle here . Why ?
Before anyone plays the race card , my neighbour and good mate is Filipino , and whilst working at the Evraz steelworks during 2011 I taught a couple of chaps how to drive ,although neither of them had a specified trade or grasp of the English/French language they were also awarded citizenship at the same time as myself ,we came Xmas 05 !!