Double hauling.

This was taken by one of our Albany drivers, nice little ditty :slight_smile:
youtube.com/watch?v=BSZok__3zig

Hi Pat, that’s a nice video there. I have pulled turnpike doubles here in Florida, 45ft tankers carrying water and 48ft box vans carrying bottled water.
Once you get them up to speed they’re not to bad to pull. Overtaking another set of doubles is the pain, especially if there is only two lanes, although Florida’s turnpike between Orlando and Miami is three lanes a fair bit of the way now. Just like a set of 28ft pups they follow each other around corners on the same track. obviously heaviest trailer is the lead trailer, but as in the video equal weight and size pull well.
I used to load and set up between two to four trailers a night for an LTL freight company. Going off manifest weights could cause issues, and if it was a break bulk trailer with a head load from another terminal king pin and axle weights could be an issue.
That’s where the sliding tandem is really your friend. We normally set the first tandem 48ft trailer to the furthest back position 41ft, and the second trailers between 36 and 41ft ( kingpin to center of tandem). The line haul drivers had the option to make adjustments if they weren’t happy with the way they pulled.

Not sure if you passed it or would remember it, there is a set up and breakdown pad where Interstate 4 meets with the Turnpike.
Quite a few of the LTL companies run up and down night and day, along with CVS and Walgreens. Wal-Mart used to run a lot of trailers also before they opened a distribution center in Fort Pierce.

Cheers Paul.

I remember that breakdown pad Paul, I haven’t been down there since 07 but I still remember, I used to stop and scrawl some lies before going into the post office center near Orlando airport.

â– â– â– â–  pikes are a pain sat there at 90kph

taffytrucker:
â– â– â– â–  pikes are a pain sat there at 90kph

90 kph ? … Not here mate, these guys come by me and leave me standing :laughing:

Other way round up here Pat. Then they take up every inch of parking doing switches.