Norwegian Duck

Sounds like something you might clean the toilet with doesn’t it?? :laughing:

Anyway, I’ve been a bit curious about Norway ever since I turned a job down there a couple of years ago in favour of NZ.

I’ve come to realise that one of the official languages (bokmÃ¥l) isn’t that far removed from English and I’ve learned to read and write to a certain degree. With some practice I may be able to converse with the locals but it’s a bit hard to find a Norwegian person in the East Midlands to talk to so I’m going over in August for a few days to have a look around. Does anyone know what the job situation is like there?? Had a look at a few vacancies for “SjÃ¥fører Klasse CE” but I’d imagine there’s a host of Eastern Europeans thinking the same thing. Hopefully I’ll have a nice trip but I’d enjoy it a lot more if the Vikings let me loose in a “lastebil og tilhenger”… :grimacing: :grimacing:

Duck:
“lastebil og tilhenger”

truck and trailer? Only thinking it sounds a bit like lastwagen. And anhänger :slight_smile:

Hi duck.Obviously if you are already making the effort to learn the basics of the language this will put you in a better position re work.Remember that contrary to general belief not everyone speaks English in Scandinavia.Especially when you progress further North and encounter companies in villages.When i first moved up her to Lappland the guy who gave me my first job[who i’m still with] spoke only Swedish and Finnish,as did the two guys who i was working with so the first few weeks were quite interesting.There are a lot of Swedes working in Norway so there are jobs available.I know quite a few guys who have made the move and if you are prepared to adapt to a different way of Life Norway is a great country.I was first going to go to Norway but was offered a better deal on a house here.Obviously the further North you go the less ‘‘cheap’’ competition there is.Not wishing to be negative but remember the climate.You can get up to 7 months of Winter driving and Norway is like nowhere else in Europé to drive in.It makes ‘‘ice road truckers’’ look like Holland.

10-08:

Duck:
“lastebil og tilhenger”

truck and trailer? Only thinking it sounds a bit like lastwagen. And anhänger :slight_smile:

Yep, truck & trailer is the meaning… Seems you can speak Norwegian too!!

hutpik:
Hi duck.Obviously if you are already making the effort to learn the basics of the language this will put you in a better position re work.Remember that contrary to general belief not everyone speaks English in Scandinavia.Especially when you progress further North and encounter companies in villages.When i first moved up her to Lappland the guy who gave me my first job[who i’m still with] spoke only Swedish and Finnish,as did the two guys who i was working with so the first few weeks were quite interesting.There are a lot of Swedes working in Norway so there are jobs available.I know quite a few guys who have made the move and if you are prepared to adapt to a different way of Life Norway is a great country.I was first going to go to Norway but was offered a better deal on a house here.Obviously the further North you go the less ‘‘cheap’’ competition there is.Not wishing to be negative but remember the climate.You can get up to 7 months of Winter driving and Norway is like nowhere else in Europé to drive in.It makes ‘‘ice road truckers’’ look like Holland.

I’ve noticed quite a few jobs advertised by small companies in the extreme North and the ads mention something about housing options although I can’t translate it word for word. I’m guessing it’s hard for them to get people to move up that way?? Part of the attraction is the different language and culture plus it’s not such a major project in terms of flight costs/visas etc. Who knows?? We’ll see what happens… I’m just looking forward to checking the place out first of all… I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m never going to get rich so I might as well check out as much of the World as I can whilst I’ve still got the chance.

Duck:

10-08:

Duck:
“lastebil og tilhenger”

Yep, truck & trailer is the meaning… Seems you can speak Norwegian too!!

hutpik:

I’ve noticed quite a few jobs advertised by small companies in the extreme North and the ads mention something about housing options although I can’t translate it word for word. I’m guessing it’s hard for them to get people to move up that way?? Part of the attraction is the different language and culture plus it’s not such a major project in terms of flight costs/visas etc. Who knows?? We’ll see what happens… I’m just looking forward to checking the place out first of all… I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m never going to get rich so I might as well check out as much of the World as I can whilst I’ve still got the chance.

Sounds like fun, take me with you :wink:
I love languages, I see patterns in everything :slight_smile:
Good luck with it, it sounds like a brilliant thing to do :slight_smile:

No worries mate…
I’ll see you at Stansted airport!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ryanair do a cheap flight to Torp or Rygge near Oslo and I’ve just been asked if I want the same job that I turned down a couple of years ago.

Now then…■■
Can I handle a LHD 3 series T-cab and hordes of Scandanavian women??
HMMMM, TOUGH ONE :exclamation: :exclamation:

Not mega-money BUT all meals and temporary accomodation provided f.o.c. plus they’ll take care of my work permit and Norwegian bank accounts.

Here we go again… :grimacing: :grimacing:
Maan, it’s hard work being insane!! :stuck_out_tongue:

tivoli6.jpg

good luck with that duck keep us posted with one of your great diaries with pics

Good luck driver, look forward to readibg about your exploits :sunglasses:

Good luck with this new adventure. Please do a few diaries to keep us lot entertained!

Ohhh don’t worry, I’ll keep y’all posted… AFTER I’ve made friends with the locals of course!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

All sorted, now flying out next Friday night from Manchester airport.
Prepare yourselves for some Nordic travels with a mad man, might even have a go at a video this time.

Hi Duck.Good time to be going,you will have time to get used to the way of working\driving\living Before the Winter starts.Where exactly are you going in Norway and what type of work will you be doing,just curious.If you get up this way you can always stop for a coffee and elk burger.Mike

If things go according to plan I should be working as a foreman on a travelling “Tivoli” all over Norway until Oct/Nov. The whole crew speaks English and they have an onsite chef too… Mmmm, tasty!! It should give me a chance to find my way around and get better at speaking the language before the Winter comes. If there’s nothing else to do when the bad weather finally arrives I can always head home on a cheap flight as it’s not such a major problem in terms of returning to the UK at short notice. Don’t know why but I’m looking forward to this one… There’s not as much pressure to succeed, just going to enjoy it and if things work out long term that’s a bonus!

Duck:
Ohhh don’t worry, I’ll keep y’all posted… AFTER I’ve made friends with the locals of course!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I can see the pink suiting you mr D

Hello Duck,

Are you a Brit living in Norway, I been here 16 years and am still crap with the language but i surpose it hasent helped that i have been driving Europe most of that time.

Hi Alan,

Hvordan går det med deg?
Jeg er engelsk og min norsk er litt darlig også! :laughing:

No I don’t live in Norway, I tried a few firms around Stavanger and Bergen but haven’t had much joy.
Almost got in with Falck Redning on heavy recovery but quite understandably they need you to speak the language perfectly.
Also had some contact with an Englishman that runs an agency in Stavanger but I’ve decided to put the Scandanavian adventure on hold for a short while as I’m flying out to Asia on Wednesday.

Duck:
Hi Alan,

Hvordan går det med deg?
Jeg er engelsk og min norsk er litt darlig også! :laughing:

No I don’t live in Norway, I tried a few firms around Stavanger and Bergen but haven’t had much joy.
Almost got in with Falck Redning on heavy recovery but quite understandably they need you to speak the language perfectly.
Also had some contact with an Englishman that runs an agency in Stavanger but I’ve decided to put the Scandanavian adventure on hold for a short while as I’m flying out to Asia on Wednesday.

Try these,if your still interested

Alta Bergingssenter Falck/ Naf — 909 47 995

Thomasbakkveien 56, 9513 Altawww.falck.no

Dont even bother trying for a long distance driving job up here,you wont get it,its all about the winter driving,but good Luck With these People at Falck,

Chris

Well at least I haven’t done something like this in Norway:

m.db.no/2013/05/26/nyheter/trafi … 727/?www=1

He was lucky to get away with it… Wonder what statens vegvesen thought reading about this.

For those of you that don’t understand, the British driver was messing with his sat-nav (in a Norwegian registered truck ) and then for some reason decided to drive the wrong way on a few roundabouts… Whoops!!