Eye sight requirements

Can anybody tell me the actual eye sight requirements for driving an LGV or PCV. I was always under the impression that it was the same as it is for cars (eg a number plate from 70’ or whatever it is).

A friend of mine who is looking to go for his cat C has been informed (I don’t know where from) that his eye sight does not meet the standard needed to drive LGV’s and it can’t be corrected by lenses as it is due to nerve damage in one eye following an accident. Although he still holds his car licence and legally drives that.

If anyone has a definative answer it’d be appreciated!!

Cheers Mart

its in the medical that the doc does - if he rings the doctor or looks thru the form you get before going to see the quack it tells you in there; basically you just read the chart on the wall and then again holdig a card up to one eye then the other, so if he can pass that he’d be ok i think

Mart.I asked a similiar question on the old Trucknet forums earlier in the year.The reply that I got from the Forums legal consultant was as follows: A driver holding a vocational entitlement on 1st March 1992 must have vision, with the aid of corrective lenses if necessary, of at least 6/9 in the better eye or 6/12 in the other, or uncorrected vision no worse than 3/60 in at least one eye.
A driver holding a vocational entitlement on 31st December 1996 must have vision, with the aid of corrective lenses if necessary, of at least 6/9 in the better eye and at least 6/12 in the other and, if corrective lenses are needed to meet that standard, uncorrected vision no worse than 3/60 in at least one eye.

I needed to know as I am due to have a medical in a couple of years when I reach 45 and I wear glasses.I was just curious to know wether my eyes were ok and at the moment they are. I don’t think there has been a change in the law since I was told about the regulations but if there has then this is the site to find it.Hope this helps you Mart.

If you can’t pass the basic standards, you can’t get a new LGV, as Marts mate found out. For as long as I’ve ben driving LGV’s there has been a higher basic eyesight standard for LGV drivers than there has for cars.

BryanH. As you have an LGV licence, they don’t take it off you because your eyes are not up to the current basic standards, only if they are worse than the minimum standard.

I checked this out for myself a few years ago, when the new standards came in (rather the new application of the old standards). So, unless your eyes have become worse than 3/60, you are OK. If you are worried that they have become too bad, go n see your regular spec-tician, they will check you out, know about the new application of the rules and give you advance warning?