Confused by the licence Categorys

Hi everyone I’ve been lurking around the board for the last couple of months or so I learned a lot but can’t find anything relating to my query
I’m just in the process of filling in my application form for provisional I was just about to tick categorys c c1 c1+e and noticed I already have c1 c1e on my driving licence.
Does this mean I don’t even have to apply for a provisional LGV licence.
I already suspect the answer I do.
But why does it already have these catergorys on my licence?
Cheers!

Hello Billy and welcome to TruckNet.

c1 and c1+e refer to 7.5 tonners. (the 1 indicates a “puddlejumper”)

The heavy goods categories are as follows.

Class C. Similar to the old class 3 and 2. A rigid-bodied vehicle with four wheels (class 3) Or with six or more wheels (class 2)

C+E- an articulated lorry (class 1)

The “E” part on any entitlement always refers to a trailer, whatever the category of towing vehicle. So C+E means you can drive a rigid-bodied goods vehicle pulling a trailer- which is exactly what an articulated lorry is.

Vince

Billy:
I’m just in the process of filling in my application form for provisional I was just about to tick categorys c c1 c1+e and noticed I already have c1 c1e on my driving licence.

c1 is 7.5 tonne isn’t it?

Denis F:
c1 is 7.5 tonne isn’t it?

s’okay Vince answered while i was writing my reply :slight_smile:

Billy:
Hi everyone I’ve been lurking around the board for the last couple of months or so I learned a lot but can’t find anything relating to my query !

You see. You were too shy for too long.

The moment you asked, you found out.

A cautionary tale for other lurkers! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Incidentally Billy, a wise first step is to talk to an HGV instructor as they usually have all the forms you need (they nick `em from the Post Office) and will talk you through the procedure for your licence and compulsary medical.

But of course you can ask here too. Good luck with it.

Vince

as an addendum, your local instructor should be able to point you the way of a friendly local doctor - my GP wanted about £80 for the medical, I got it elsewhere for £50, but I know a quack in town (retired gp) does it for £35, just could never get hold of said bloke :confused:

Thanks for the replys guys it makes it a lot clearer when you refer to them as class 2 and class 1 etc. :slight_smile:

Unfortunatley I already got ripped off by the doctor for the pricely sum of £70 (robbing dogs)
I’ve since heard of place that will do it for £25 :cry:

I’ve sent off all the forms so I’m now looking for a decent instructor around South Yorkshire/North Nottinghamshire area.
A mate of a mate :unamused: supposedly knows someone that will take me through to class1 for £1000 which sounds too good to be true the instructor is in the Mansfield area so I’ll have to wait and see on that one. :slight_smile:

That was 10 quid cheaper than My Medical Billy… £80 mine cost… :astonished: :astonished: :open_mouth: :unamused:

Billy, the guy that trained me is based in North Notts, in CinderHill if you know it, about 5 minutes away from junction 26.

He uses a ‘proper sized’ G reg DAF plated at 26tons for his rigid training and uses it as a wagon and drag for artic. 2 years ago he was charging £30 an hour for one on one training and really knows his stuff. I’d happily recomend him to anyone. Give me a shout if you want me to dig his details out for you.

Cheers Mart.