Which type of training truck

I have just bought a new training truck which resembles a 7.5T C1 truck but Is plated at 12ton so you acquire your C licence. Very easy to learn in.

My question is would trainees rather learn in bigger truck and maybe more realistic in the industry or just happy to pass in the smaller easier truck?

Could be interesting debate

In all the posts I have read by newbies, I have never read one where they say they have had difficulties going from 12/13 tonne training truck to 18/26/32 tonne truck

One of the Weedon ttest examiners used to tell trainees that had passed in a 12/13 tonner … you have passed the LGV test in this large VAN so be extra aware when you drive a PROPER lorry … seriously … I think it was Dave the examiner who said that a lot

It’s a no-brainer. Learn and pass your test in the easiest possible vehicle. There’s still plenty that can go wrong so why make life more difficult than it needs to be? The adaption to different vehicles comes with experience once you’ve passed your test.

The particular vehicle that the OP refers to is, I believe, an ex forces training vehicle. And look at the stuff those guys end up driving!

I’ve bought new trucks of a similar type every year for the past few years in my quest to make life as straightforward and enjoyable for the trainee as possible.

And I cant remember anyone phoning and asking about the size of the truck.

All the best with the new purchase Mr. Elmet.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Just passed my class 2 last month, i was driving a volvo fm9, 14ft high and 30ft long. I must say personally myself i’m glad i passed in a larger vehicle so as not to get any horrible surprises when i turn up at a yard to pick up a truck. :wink:

rusty919:
Just passed my class 2 last month, i was driving a volvo fm9, 14ft high and 30ft long. I must say personally myself i’m glad i passed in a larger vehicle so as not to get any horrible surprises when i turn up at a yard to pick up a truck. :wink:

That’s what I’m thinking about as well.
Since I’m paying for my training I might as well use a proper sized lorry to learn, so when I go for an interview and they ask me what lorry did you use on your C training I could proudly say it was a proper 18 tonnes lorry, proper length and had that more difficult gear box.

hkloss1:
so when I go for an interview and they ask me what lorry did you use on your C training I could proudly say it was a proper 18 tonnes lorry, proper length and had that more difficult gear box.

proper 18 tonnes lorrys, so what happens if its a 32 tonne roll on roll off skip lorry they want you to drive■■? you going to say i’v never driven a proper big lorry :confused: and they will have they same four over four if 12 tonne or 18

in edit not all trainnig lorrys have 4 over 4 but most now do

Since I’m paying for my training I might as well use a proper sized lorry to learn

That translates to: I’m paying for my training but I’m going to make it as difficult as I can to pass the test. It wont matter that it will take longer/cost more to reach test standard and that I’ve just made the test harder for myself.

Sorry, after 40 years in training, I just dont understand the reasoning.

But all the best with whatever you decide. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Just passed my class 2 last month, i was driving a volvo fm9, 14ft high and 30ft long. I must say personally myself i’m glad i passed in a larger vehicle so as not to get any horrible surprises when i turn up at a yard to pick up a truck.

Firstly, congratulations on the pass. But I’m puzzled as to the nature of the “horrible surprises”. You are no more prepared now to drive an 8 wheel tipper with a twin splitter than if you had made life easy.

I’m baffled.

Peter ,

Have put a couple of people your way in the last few weeks :smiley:

Need to talk to you again about instructor training after Xmas !

Steve

smallsie:

hkloss1:
so when I go for an interview and they ask me what lorry did you use on your C training I could proudly say it was a proper 18 tonnes lorry, proper length and had that more difficult gear box.

proper 18 tonnes lorrys, so what happens if its a 32 tonne roll on roll off skip lorry they want you to drive■■? you going to say i’v never driven a proper big lorry :confused: and they will have they same four over four if 12 tonne or 18

in edit not all trainnig lorrys have 4 over 4 but most now do

I suspect, it might be easier for me to get used to 32 tonnes lorry having learned to drive an 18 tonnes lorry rather than a vn sized 13 tonnes one.
I might be wrong there, trying to get as many opinions as I can before I make my final decision which one to go for.

To be honest lads, I think the weight doesn’t matter, at the end of the day your driving on your lessons/test unladen, I think if you listen and take in what any instructor is teaching you, and you have a good degree of common sence then your driving should be ok no matter how big the wagon

I suspect, it might be easier for me to get used to 32 tonnes lorry having learned to drive an 18 tonnes lorry rather than a vn sized 13 tonnes one.

With respect, your’e wrong. There are so many different types of body/transmission etc out there, the chances of the training vehicle really preparing you for what you will end up driving are small. Which is why, for many years, I have bought trucks that are easy to drive and make life as easy and as pleasant during the training experience as possible. Training is stressful for many candidates - I consider it my responsibility to reduce the stress as far as possible and enhance the possibilities of a pass.

Many trainers use larger vehicles simply because they are easily available on the second hand market and are considerably cheaper than the lighter weight counterpart. We buy all ours new and they are built to my spec. Our customers love them and they are, without any doubt, the easiest route to a test pass.

Have put a couple of people your way in the last few weeks

Need to talk to you again about instructor training after Xmas !

Keep it up! Speak soon, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I would agree with peter…but in the real world if you have only ever driven a 5 speed truck then your very first employment is in a truck with a 4over4 and splits i can see problems, an employer wont take kindly to you crunching your way through the gears and riding the clutch to the point it needs repair, i dont know what Peter uses these days but im guesing he has at least a roadranger box in the training fleet ?. I can honestly say that Peter has been doing the job a long time and i can recomend him …his longevity speaks for itself and you couldnt wish to meet a nicer fella.

Thanks for the kind comments. All our trucks are 4 over 4. Straight boxes are no longer eligible for test. You can use a splitter rather than a range change but you have to be able to produce at least 8 forward gears.

Peter Smythe:
Thanks for the kind comments. All our trucks are 4 over 4. Straight boxes are no longer eligible for test. You can use a splitter rather than a range change but you have to be able to produce at least 8 forward gears.

Your welcome Pete, thats told me eh? its been a while since i was teaching Peter, we did have both, the 4 over 4 was for me a better tool for what to expect in the real world , hope your well by the way …if im ever passing ill call to say hello thats if your not busy ,lol take care Peter.

i learnt in a 18t curtainsider. (and when it broke down a 18 ton box iveco, with a slap through box, god i HATE the gearbox!) it had its advantages tbh, like part of cpc training was how to use the curtains properly, not something i’d have wanted to have to try and figure out on my first day on the job…

tbh i had issues with its length, but i quite enjoyed the drive once i stopped hitting kerbs :laughing: :laughing:

I passed my Cat C in a full size 18t Rigid and really enjoyed the challenge.

After a year of driving full size trucks it was very strange to drive PSTT WnD combination, but as Pete has said, it simplified the process of passing my CE.

Then I went on to driving full size artics.

Just one question to the OP. Is it going to be used as a Prime Mover for WnD or just for Cat C?

dar1976:
Just one question to the OP. Is it going to be used as a Prime Mover for WnD or just for Cat C?

I am not the OP but in most cases they are also used as the prime mover for a W&D C+E combination because it is so much cheaper to buy the drag and have that standing when not being used instead of having a complete artic standing idle - this is especially ideal for a one-man-band

I’d say the biggest you can get, I’ll be learning in a Volvo FM9 curtain sider if that’s any help.