How do you recomend finding work

Hi all,bit premature,coz test not till Wed 17th.but any advice welcome.
How do you go about finding work.Would you recomend agency work or permenant and if so who and how.If you need to send CV off I may as well start now instead of waiting till next Wednesday.Regards Jamie.

Both methods work.
Agencies are a good place to gain a variety of exsperience & find your local good, bad & ugly. You could also find it to be a good way of side stepping the no experience no experience (job) attitude of some employers.
The letter saying I am a new & inexperienced driver looking for work can also find work & often of a better quality than agencies can offer.

Thanks Alan,agency sounds favorite to begin with.Having never set foot in one,how do you start ?

A few questions to ask yourself first are. 1.Do you mind travelling to jobs. 2. do you want/not want nights out. 3. do you want/not want night work.
Make a few phone calls, tell them that you are a new driver. Ask what they pay ( some will ask you what you want, avoid these.) Tell them how far you will travel for work & ask the kind of work they have on the books at the moment & remember its quick & easy to change agencys if they do not come up with the jobs.
Following Christmas work will be in shorter supply at the agencies so a HIAB (Loading Crane) certificate could be money well spent.
I have always found the driving specific agencies to normally be the best.

Thanks again Alan,very helpfull,you make it sound quite easy,regards Jamie.

jamie

when you approach the agency’s most of the decent ones will ask you to do a test to see how clued up on tachograph law you are.

best ones to aproach would be your national companys like driverhire brs places like that.explain you’ve just passed and wanting to get a foot in the door.

alternaivly ypu could go knocking on doors.in banbury you’ve got british bakeries and i think there always looking for drivers.early morning stuff but artic work is normally trunking or large store deliveries.

hope that helps

jon

Thanks Jon,sounds promising,regards Jamie.

Jamie, if you can’t find an agency by personal reccomendation then try the Drivers Section of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation.

Here is the link to their site.

That way you are reasonably sure that you are dealing with a reputable company that has to abide by a Code of Conduct.

Best of luck.

Thanks Krankee,lots of info on this site,will add to favourites,regards Jamie.