Probably a daft question!

I’m 23 years old and I’ve been driving cars since FEB 1998. Is it possible to do a C1+E course without having to do C2 first??

If not is there any fast track method?

GEE

Welcome to TrucknetUK.

I havn’t heard of C2. :confused:

You don’t need to do C1, you can go direct to class C, but I’me pretty sure you need to hold class C for a little while before going for C+ E. So that you get used to the general size, before adding in the complication of a long trailer.

Not too sure about C1 + E. I think you can do that immediately. :blush:

Sometime this weekend, you will get a diffinitive answer from one of the members. By the way, we try to answer any question, and don’t really consider any question as daft, provided its a genuine question.

As a last resort, phone your local LGV training school, or chech their web site. They are the people who need to be right up to date, on the exact ins n outs of the laws, concerning LGV training.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Here is the link for the DVLA licensing section.

dvla.gov.uk/drivers/vehicle_cat_desc.htm

This does not mention C2 so I can’t help, and it would seem nor can the DVLA, but as Simon has stated you can take your C and then C & E and the C1 is included as part of the C qualification.

Hiya Gee, welcome to the mad house… :laughing:
As for your question, You are over 21 and been driving more than a year, so as simon has said, you can go straight for your Category C licence. Cat C1, I believe is for those under the age of 21, but older than 18. so this dont apply to you… and yeah, Category C2 dont exist…

But, you dont have to wait to gain any experience on Cat C before going for your C+E. Its not like a motorbike licence where you would be restricted for a certain amount of time before upgrading.

And once you have got your Full Cat C Licence, that then becomes you provisional C+E licence.

Hope this has helped…
All the best

Mmmm…

Maybe you are getting confussed with the old system and the new one…

Cat C1 = Class 3 (I think, but dont quote me)
Cat C = Class 2
Cat C+E = Class 1

Nah, your a bit out there Andy.

HGV 3 was for 2 axle rigids,
HGV 2 was for more than 2 axled rigids,
HGV 1 was for artics (any size).

We didn’t have C1, because your car licence covered you up to 7.5tonners. :unamused:

My first HGV licence was a small, hardback, dark brown booklet which had a stick-on ticket which had to be renewed every 5(I think) years. As you sent off for and got your renewal sticker, you just stuck it on top of the old one. The page with the renewal stickers got as thick n rigid as the hardback covers. :laughing:

No such things as CITB certs for Hi-Ab cranes, forklifts etc. You turned up for your interview and if you were asked, you said “yes, no bother”, or words to that effect. Then have a play n figure it out as you went along. You were qualified as long as you didn’t prove that you wern’t. :open_mouth: :sunglasses: :laughing:

Simon:
Nah, your a bit out there Andy.

HGV 3 was for 2 axle rigids,
HGV 2 was for more than 2 axled rigids,
HGV 1 was for artics (any size).

We didn’t have C1, because your car licence covered you up to 7.5tonners.

Ahh, right, thanx for the correction Simon.

But getting back to you Gee, you need you cat C before your C+E as you cant go straight for C+E anymore.

And the only fast track method I know of, is finding a dodgy training company with no-one on the books …LOL

Since you passed your test after 1st Jan. 1997. you’ll only have Cat.B and Cat.B1 on your license.

I’m not sure what you want to get - if it’s really C1+E (goods vehicle under 7.5 t, towing trailer >750 kg, total maximum 12 t), then you need to take a C1 test (rigid 7.5t) followed by a C1+E test.

However, since it costs about the same, and there’s not much difference between the vehicles, you’re probably better off going the whole hog, and taking a Cat.C (goods vehicle over 7.5 t) test, followed by a Cat.C+E (goods vehicle over 7.5 t towing a trailer over 750 kg) test, since this will allow you to drive pretty much any truck on the road (HIAB cranes and HazMat excepted). I don’t know of many vehicles which come under C1+E.

If you want C1+E, you have to take C1 first, and if you want C+E, you have to take C first. You don’t have to take C1 before C. There are no shortcuts.

HTH…

Thanks everyone,

Yes I obviously got my classifications completley confused. I do want to go for the full C+E so all your comments have been a great help.

Seriously considering a career change as the airline industry is almost on its knees but I’m worried that I will be unable to find work due lack of LGV experience.

Wish me luck!! :smiley:

GEE

GEE:
Thanks everyone,

…snip…Seriously considering a career change as the airline industry is almost on its knees but I’m worried that I will be unable to find work due lack of LGV experience.

Wish me luck!! :smiley:

GEE

No-one I know had any experience when they first started Gee. :smiley: :smiley: There is a reputed driver shortage and getting young blood into the industry to replace those who will be retiring in the relatively near future is a problem the whole industry is facing.

It may take a while for you to find the niche thats suits you but with perseverance, and confidence, I reckon you’l be fine.

Good luck. :wink:

There IS NOT A DRIVER SHORTAGE! How many times do we have to say!!!

It’s simply that 90% of the companies in this country wanting drivers are expecting them to work 70+hrs/week, 5 nights out for £200 take home and quite rightly, we’re telling them with our feet where to shove it.

Add £400+/week to that figure and the alleged DRIVER SHORTAGE will dry up overnight.

You pays peanuts you gets monkeys (although the monkeys are wising up now…)

Brgds

Speedy

Seriously considering a career change as the airline industry is almost on its knees but I’m worried that I will be unable to find work due lack of LGV experience.

If experience is a problem, then may I suggest agency work?, I had none at all and was soon tooling round the country with various different companies / units / trailers. This, for me has been an invaluable way to get at least a little bit of experience, hopefully to propel me to bigger and better things.

Good luck with whatever decision you make