Multi drop 12 hrs days & tacho?

Seems to me that a lot of general haulage work I’ve done of late is geared around 12 hrs days, or more…

How do folks on this type of work use their tacho ? I tend to take a 15 min coffee break soon after setting off, then make sure a tip lasts 30 mins towards the 4 hour mark when I put to rest, then carry on for the rest of the day on rest. I know this is wrong, but…

I’ve not yet got into the habit of switching tacho mode, trying my best.

The runs are often take me more than 12 hrs so what am I supposed to do ?

These are day cabs, and yes I’ve moaned that I might need a kip but no go so sod staying over in one.

I try and get a move on, little or no breaks as such, and they’re not so much multi drop as long distances so mostly driving.

So ?

You can do a max of 15 hrs spread over in a day that is 9 or 10hrs driving in a 15 hr day .

I tend to leave my tacho on break all the time and whenever you stop the engine it automatically records a break - a break does not count until 15 minutes have elapsed.

Doing this is not totally legal but saves you forgetting

Ive just gone back to my old job (gefco) albeit with a sub contractor instead of gefco themselves (better money)

I do 10 hour days multi drop i have a 30 minute break after my first hour driving (which is the time it takes from haydock to the services) whilst i sort my notes out then for the rest of the day the tacho stays on break as it usually takes 15 mins to tip at each drop then at my last drop i take an hours break before the 1 1/2 hour drive back never had a problem with this before and the ministry/police have checked my tachos several times and not pulled me for it

simon

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You must never leave the tacho on break if you are tipping! the other work button is for that!

Break is exactly that! a break form any type of work, where you are free to do what ever you please!!!

It is totaly illegal for you to tip while the tacho is on break! and if you think about it you are also robbing yourself.

It’s only illegal to have the tacho on break at a tip if you are doing other work, i.e. unloading, cleaning the truck, doing paperwork etc.
Also on a break from driving you do not need to be free to do what you want, just free to have a break from driving & other work.
It’s a rest period if you are free to dispose of your time as you want. ( a rest period can be taken as a break, but a break is not a rest period.)
Havfing said the above I’m sure we all know the reality is at times very differnt & loading / unloading is all to often a break on the chart if not in reality.

The only way it’s illegal is if you in a yard, tacho on break and doing other work and the ministry catch ya in the act. My ex drives the tonker toys, he always leaves his tacho on break, even though they says it’s illegal he has been pulled by the ministry and has never been pulled up on it.

When i first started off driving i would always forget to switch me tacho over, half would be right but the other would be (by the law) wrong. Nothing was ever said to me and now i am in the habit of changing it when needed.

I suppose truthfully it’s down to the transport manager to be checking these things and pulling drivers on it to eradicate it from the start. It’s also a shame that when your taking your test you cannot be given the low downs on tacho usage and the dos and don’t of the law. Would certainly be beneficial IMHO

I know some companies have analysis, i’m not sure what they truly report, anyone got any clues. I would imagine driving issues, i.e driving over 4 and a half without a break. Who do they report there findings back to? why isn’t action taken? Simple, minimal fuss, keep the wheels turning and turn a blind one.

:unamused:

tiggz:
I know some companies have analysis, i’m not sure what they truly report, anyone got any clues. I would imagine driving issues, i.e driving over 4 and a half without a break. Who do they report there findings back to? why isn’t action taken? Simple, minimal fuss, keep the wheels turning and turn a blind one.

:unamused:

My company has Trutac analise the charts of all their own employees. In the past, in my early days, I’ve ben picked up for :-

Driving for more than 4 1/2 hours without a break (have had those challenged if I’ve put a note on the back but usually unsucessful).

Incorrect mode - Never appealled that one

Speeding - Yes they can tell that (55 within 3 mins of leaving the depot when the motorway is 3 miles away at the closest point) :blush: :blush:

Center field errors or omissions - End duty location or date is the usual one.

In spite of all these I’ve only ever been counselled with a view to improvement and now I have a regular weekly check and rarely get any problems. The Tacho offences are part of our personal KPIs and haven’t been above the target in over 3 years.

Considering the number of times I jump in a truck and find the tack set to rest I guess it’s a common practise…

Do let us know if you ever get agro for doing this Simon so I can mend my ways.

Btw, does anyone EVER check those tacho’s we submit ? I’ve just about stopped handing mine in, on one occasion even refused to hand it over to a client who were fine about it, suggesting I burn the bugger…

steve_24v:
Considering the number of times I jump in a truck and find the tack set to rest I guess it’s a common practise…

The newer CD/drawer style tacho heads default to rest when the disc is removed so they would always be on rest anyway.