Failed Class 1 Again

Hi after long time I had another 3 days lesson and went to my 3th class 1 practical test but failed again.Its really ■■■■■■ me off.I had really good drive and came back to test center and done coupling uncoupling and was waiting my congratulations you’ve passed but he said Im sorry to say that you failed???I said why I failed?He said steering??When Im turning left corners I tried to avoid cliping the kerb and I done it a bit wider to make it sure but always checked if somebody is coming or not before turned and he said you did continuesly this minor and you’ve failed.This is a joke, really made me so angry.whats wrong to avoid cliping kerb and making little bit wider and use a bit other road?.This is a test they know if I go over the kerb it makes me fail why they dont let people avoid it during the test?we pay fortune for this training and test.Must they be that hard?If you drive it safely dont effect other people in traffic dont go over the kerbs thats enough but they are looking for nasa space rocket driver standart?I cant think anymore how can I pass this test.This is not real.Really angry.

Having read this a couple of times. I think that the point you are trying to make is :

That every time you took a left turn you took some of the opposite lane on the exit road. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Depending on the way the junction is laid out, often it is necessary to go over to the right of the lane along the line so that you have a better angle of approach and do not have to take much, if any, of the opposite exit lane. If it is a sharp exit bend then you should make sure both directions are clear and take enough of the lane to make the manoeuvre without overdoing it. As soon as you are round the bend get back into your own side of the road.

I am sure one of the resident trainers will be along to correct me shortly. Just going from what I remember from my training and test only a few weeks ago.

Sorry to hear you failed and better luck next time.

yes mate its true I always get a bit other line but he says I shouldnt use it when I dont need to basicly.I know it everybody knows it but he can make me pass it.couse end of the day I didnt block the road didnt make slow down anybody just I used bigger road if its avaible to use thats all.During the test if its busy road that Im turning into I always did it correctly only did wider if road is suitable and when road is empty.

How can they make people fail for this simple things?were paying money for it.

The basic rule is: take whatever road you need (always on the approach) but DONT take road you DONT need. This is a matter of judgement, aided by good clear instruction, and clearly gets a lot easier with experience.

I presume you are one of the folk who have chosen to learn on an artic. It’s a problem that’s rarely encountered on a drawbar.

I wish you all the best and rest my case.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

I mean he could easly put 2 minor instead of 3 thats all.I noticed in city center when Im slowing down for traffic light forgat to check mirrors 2 3 times and I thougt [zb] but was too late but he didnt see any of them.no mirror minor on my sheet.whats that?they see some things they dont see some things and this things cost you a fortune thats what makes me so angry.

berk:
When Im turning left corners I tried to avoid cliping the kerb and I done it a bit wider to make it sure …

Hi berk,

I’m sorry to hear that you failed your test.

Please answer these two questions honestly (but only answer them to yourself) …

1.) Did the instructor tell you to drive exactly as you did?

2.) Is it possible that the instructor told you something very similar to what Peter has said, but you chose to do it your own way instead?

I’m very sorry to say this, but if #2 above is true, then the examiner was correct and this will be why you’ve failed:

berk:
he said you did continuesly this minor and you’ve failed.

To end on a positive note, it seems that you had a good drive, so once you’ve got your left turns practiced a bit more with your instructor, I’d say you’ll probably pass at the next attempt. :smiley:

Hi Berk, you OK

Your driving sounds good mate. The reason you dont pass is all about your mental strength. You have to beleive in you. You are the greatest that has ever taken that simple little driving exam. True or not.

Next time shake the big man’s hand before you leave the waiting room. Tell him you are going to pass/ Then lets see fireworks here.

This is not a hard test to pass… but an easy one to fail

John
Flair Training

Thanks for everyone.I must try harder next time.I need a bit luck too depends how examiner feeling test day.

depends how examiner feeling test day.

… and it’s something to do with the standard of your driving I believe!!

Better luck next time, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi again Berk

There is a constant remark going through this thread. That is how much it is costing you. Obviously very important but possibly one of the problems.

By that I mean you may be focusing on the cost too much instead of concentrating on the actual job in hand.

When turning left on class 1 it is not only about missing the kerb. It is about precision. In a perfect world your N/S trailer wheels would remain about 6-9 inches from the curb throughout the entire turn. Do yours? Are you in the correct gear going slowly enough that you dare take your eyes off the road ahead and actually watch the trailer wheels come round ?

As Pete says take what you need from the road you are leaving, not the road you are turning into. Why miss the kerb by 2 feet. You are bound to cause someone in that road a problem.

If the cost is unacceptable then dont try again. I know from your posts that you are determined. Watch the instructor turn left and watch very closely. Of course don’t focus on left turns to the exclusion of everything else. I would guess on the average test route you may do 7 or 8 left turns. These will take up approx 1% of the test time.

Forget the cost and lets see fireworks.

Good luck

John
Flair Training

LGVTrainer:
When turning left on class 1 it is not only about missing the kerb. It is about precision. In a perfect world your N/S trailer wheels would remain about 6-9 inches from the curb throughout the entire turn.

If there are drains or yellow lines then getting your trailer wheels to just miss them is another good guide that you have a good line when turning left

Did your instructor give advice on how much road to take at every turn ? I made notes after each run as to when it was acceptable to take a little of the other lane . On test day I had three very tight left turns and the instruction which I had received was perfect for each turning . I was given various markers as to when to turn and memorised them - man hole covers , lines etc . The issue you have is with your trainer , not the examiner . Good luck with your re test

I don’t fully understand the fuss. When turning left there is no requirement to be x inches from the curb. What’s important is that the turn is made safely. This is determined by a) not hitting the curb (though there are circumstances when this is accepted on test) and b) not being too wide. “Too wide” is leaving enough room for another vehicle to come between you and the curb. The exception to this, particularly with an artic, is if you have to move out a considerable distance on the approach to the turn in order to complete it without hitting the curb.

Let’s not make like more difficult by introducing spurious rules that don’t exist in reality! “Tidy” driving comes with practice and experience and is not required to pass a test.

Without wishing to hijack the thread, can I also point out that this discussion never arises with a drawbar as the major feature of that type of combination is that they “follow” the prime mover.

Good luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
can I also point out that this discussion never arises with a drawbar as the major feature of that type of combination is that they “follow” the prime mover.

Worthless really, when he is not in a drawbar!! :unamused:

49er:

Peter Smythe:
can I also point out that this discussion never arises with a drawbar as the major feature of that type of combination is that they “follow” the prime mover.

Worthless really, when he is not in a drawbar!!

Intended as a general comment; might save some other poor soul a load of needless stress. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Like most test failure candidates, you probably failed for “insufficient bum licking”, just try to butter him up a bit more next time etc :wink:

Hi Berk
I know how you feel matey I have failed C/E twice now on the same roundabout( A58 /A 6 )at Bolton wronge lane even though there was only me on the roundabout at the time the lanes split and i took the wroge one corrected it safley But Got a seriouse for it … and im [zb]ing myself now for the next test …The examiner explained to my instructor where i went wronge the 1st time and although i did say to the instructor I nead more time on that roundabout he said no you will remember it next time and I didnt … after 2nd fail examiner said would you like me to explain to your instructor shame you had a great drive its just that roundabout :laughing: I said nope I won’t be taking it with these cowboys again :angry: …as for left turns I was told pinch as much of the road as you nead in fact the trainer was cursing car drivers that were not leaving room for us to get round … …but if he spent 3 days with you the trainer should have picked up on that fault and put you right … Best of luck next time mate …

Peter Smythe:

49er:

Peter Smythe:

Intended as a general comment; might save some other poor soul a load of needless stress. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Will come across the problem when driving a proper artic if only passed in wag and drag

Kirk Ella 71:

Peter Smythe:

49er:

Peter Smythe:

Will come across the problem when driving a proper artic if only passed in wag and drag

Two things spring immediately to mind: firstly, the situation wont arise if people cant pass the test to start with. And secondly, when there’s no examiner there, it’s a hell of a lot easier. A sensible driver will be checking to make sure there’s nothing down the side before and during the turn - so it ceases to be an issue whether or not there’s space for another vehicle as there’s no-one with a clipboard sat at the side of you.

I’ve always said that the easy way to deal with all CE training is to learn and pass on a drawbar (thus getting the licence!) and then, without the stress, have a short session on an artic just to find out the differences. I have never said it’s a good thing to go from drawbar straight to artic - though plenty have done it without problem.

Hope I’ve cleared that up. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry,

But I do not see how you keep misjuding left turns, if this is the case you are either ignoring the advise of the instructor our you are mentally switching off.

Reference the Arctic/Wag & Drag debate this has been done to its death, I learned in an Arctic so I would say them but Draw bar do have an advantage of sorts.

Why do you keep taking ti that wide, if you look on the DSA website I think it gives lists of the test routes from each centre. Get out in your car and have a drive on the routes then see where you are goig wrong.

Good luck and dont give up will be worth the stress in the end

Disco