New driving hours law

Apparently there is a new 48 hour week coming in soon for truck drivers. I know pretty much how it will work if it is implimented into the industry. What i am interested to know is…surely January where it goes all quiet will not be so quiet this year as hauliers will be looking to employ new drivers to cover for the 48 hour week law. Do you think im right or not? Its just im doing my class 1 in January and everyone says to me its hard to fin work in Jan…i just thought surely with this new 48 hour week law he demand for drivers will be on the increase in Jan ready for the changes in March?!

re 48 averaged over 17 weeks…i do general haulage with the odd nite out and whilst at asda rdc i decided to work out how many hours i average the answer a lowly 51.4…yes January is quiet but it needs to be after the xmas rush so we can recover

Don’t let it put you off taking your test Mike, i haven’t been in the club long and i remember last year being dead on the agencies over xmas, it picked up for the first week in january and then died off pretty much until March. There is obviously work there, but you need to be able to bend over backwards and the drop of a hats notice.

As for you theory of whether companies will employ to get over the WTD, i would imagine they will hold off until it’s actually in place and try and rely on Agency to see exactly how many drivers they will truly need to cover the workload. That’s my theory on it anywayz.

I would also imagine that the agency rates will possibly increase.

:unamused:

Marie