Ministry Checks

How often do you expect to be stopped for a routine Ministry check? Does it make any difference what sort of vehicle you are driving and/or what firm you are driving for?

I’ve not been stopped at a roadside checkpoint in nearly 3 years and passed plenty. Amazes me now when you think of the leagle rustbucket I used to drive :laughing: - you watch, tomorrow’s the day :confused: . I’ll stick my neck out here and say yes. I do think it makes a difference what firm you drive for, as whenever I’ve been anywhere near any in a vehicle that’s belonged to any of the big logistics firms - especially Walkers, they havn’t even given me a second glance- it’s just their attitude that does it. Rather than eyeing you up and then deciding to leave you alone, they just seem to blank you - maybe because they know they’ve got a load of dosh to throw at the thing and expect it to be in order, so they don’t pull you as it’s not worth their while. That’s what I’ve found anyways. Weather it’s true or not I don’t know - someone u’ll correct me if I’m wrong. Just my gut feeling :wink: .

I drive a '54 plate Actros and whenever I approach a checkpoint the copper looks the other way :smiley: . I think they are more likely to pull in older or tatty looking vehicles than shiny new ones as they are more likely to find more things wrong with the vehicle. They seem to target an awful lot of horseboxes in my area though,you know,the old Bedford TK types.

And you can be stopped at any time,at a checkpoint,by a vosa patrol vehicle which will flash up a sign saying “follow me” and takes you to the nearest checkpoint,or even in MSA’s they can be walking round the lorry park.
I had customs and excise waking round at Trowell services the other week,checking for red diesel.

So just be on your guard.

(Oh, and happy trucking!!).

Dan.

Reckon 95% of the time the pulls are targeted, in other words VOSA know who’s running bent.

i was checked once by the vosa at a msa nr bournmouth …just my luck to have a break inbetween 2 willie betz lorries, didnt get me for nowt mind you…