Well, I've done it

This morning I handed notice in on my well paid IT job. From 18th December onwards I’m a truck driver. Eeek!

Paul

Taken the big plunge then Paul - not going to work for Dave full time then??

The Biker:
Taken the big plunge then Paul - not going to work for Dave full time then??

It’s one option. Given the time of year full time work might well be the best thing for me, as I’m going to get stuff all on agency for a bit I would think.

Paul

Good Luck.

repton:
This morning I handed notice in on my well paid IT job. From 18th December onwards I’m a truck driver. Eeek!

Paul

Did the same myself after 30 years in IT. No regrets, wish you well…

Well done that man. Must have had a bad day a work then!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You got some work lined up??

Good look repton hope all goes
well for you.

All the best :slight_smile:

It’s been 18 months since I quit my well paid programming job… 37hrs to 60+… £22k to £5.25ph… (better pay now tho… :wink: )
All I can say is… IT’S AB FAB… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I enjoy every minute I work and usually find it heartbreaking to give the keys back at the end of the day… :cry: :frowning:

I’ve had 6 months in rigids now, and my C1 test is very soon…

You WON’T regret it… :wink:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

I too left a job in IT (to be honest it left me… I was made redundant). Now very happy in my job with a small courier company normally driving a 7.5 tonner or a Sprinter van.

Do I miss IT - No.

Would I miss driving - Yes

Good luck in your new job Paul, hope it all goes well.

Calv

I’d much sooner be looking through a windscreen than staring at a computer screen for 12 hours a day + Rep, any day :wink: . Used to print exhibition graphics and hate being in an office now (except one with a steering wheel).

Thanks for all the wishes of good luck :slight_smile:
I’ve no firm plans yet, but I think it might well be agency work and if by mid Jan it’s dried up then I’ll get something more permanent instead.
Not really decided for sure yet though…

Paul

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I suppose it shouldn’t be a suprise Paul you have been unhappy for a long time so best of luck buddy. Do think about the permanant job just to get some time under your belt it will help later on coupled with the fact you will have a lot of questions and it can be easier to learn within a company than it is as an agency driver. :wink:

Good luck Paul

Good luck Paul. After 28 years in a factory I jacked it in last June. Took a drop in wages of nearly £1.50 an hour, Any regrets? No miss some of the lads but not the job.

After 27 years on oil rigs and supply boats this driving lark is suiting me fine. I thought the stress of multi drops in city centres would do me head in, but no. Maybe it’s the new challenges and the novelty, who knows? Maybe sub-consciously the end of flying through snow storms in 30 year old choppers has something to do with it.
Gordy :smiley:

paul, i jacked a team leaders job in a direct mail warehouse to become a driver and i love it like some have said a little less money but hey i love going to work now :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ladytrucker679:
:shock: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I suppose it shouldn’t be a suprise Paul you have been unhappy for a long time so best of luck buddy. Do think about the permanant job just to get some time under your belt it will help later on coupled with the fact you will have a lot of questions and it can be easier to learn within a company than it is as an agency driver. :wink:

Having gone down the agency road, I have to agree it is easier to get help and advice within a company. I’ve picked up more in 7 weeks in a full time job than I did in a year of agency work. It is assumed that you know everything you need to know when you do an agency job, and it is hard to meet many of their drivers, as you are being briefed while they get ready and leave. You get experience of a lot of different trucks and jobs, but you have to work it all out for yourself.

Trial and error is not always the best way to learn :blush: :blush:

All the Best Paul… Hope you have a ball in your new vocation… I know I do… LOL

Good Luck Pal…