3rd Run out

Another simple one (I hope!). Call from the agency just now asking if I can do a run up to Runcorn tomorrow morning. Again, it’s a single drop, return empty, and again it’ll be a simple curtainsider (Exel Logistics). I’m going from the same place as my first ever run, so it may even be the same truck again. (I promise to put the tacho chart in the right way up this time :laughing: )

Incidentally, pay rate is £9.50 p.h. which is reasonable for Class C work, isn’t it?

Roymondo:
Incidentally, pay rate is £9.50 p.h. which is reasonable for Class C work, isn’t it?

Yes If you get overtime after 8 hours & garanteed 8 hours

Good luck with the tacho :wink:

ralliesport:

Ah - there’s the rub. It’s £9.50 flat rate. AIUI no premium for overtime. Also the pay is for as long as the job takes - If I’m done in 6 hours that’s all I get paid for. Not that I mind this as, at least for the time being, this is not my main source of income - Anything I earn from driving is going into my New Motorbike Fund (once the cost of teh training has been covered).

Besides, the complexity factor has just been increased slightly. Originally I was to start at the depot at 9am with the vehicle already loaded. I’ve just had a call to amend that - I have to start at another location at 0630, pick up the empty truck and drive to the depot to get loaded. There are now two drops to make as well - Stoke on Trent and then Runcorn.

Still a nice, easy introduction though I reckon.

Raymondo, are you a fan of teh B3ta club by anychance?

Muz123:
Raymondo, are you a fan of teh B3ta club by anychance?

Sorry Muz, I have no idea what the B3ta club is.

Roymondo the rate sounds pretty resonable to me. But what i’m more interested in is what sort of bike are you after. As soon as the word bike is mentioned you can be sure to get my attention.

£9.50/hr = result :smiley:
Gordy

thats pretty good money roy :laughing: :laughing: . whats the score roy mate, you still wanting to come out one weekend :question: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Roymondo:

ralliesport:

Ah - there’s the rub. It’s £9.50 flat rate. AIUI no premium for overtime. Also the pay is for as long as the job takes - If I’m done in 6 hours that’s all I get paid for. Not that I mind this as, at least for the time being, this is not my main source of income - Anything I earn from driving is going into my New Motorbike Fund (once the cost of teh training has been covered).

Besides, the complexity factor has just been increased slightly. Originally I was to start at the depot at 9am with the vehicle already loaded. I’ve just had a call to amend that - I have to start at another location at 0630, pick up the empty truck and drive to the depot to get loaded. There are now two drops to make as well - Stoke on Trent and then Runcorn.

Still a nice, easy introduction though I reckon.

To my way of thinking, if they want to up the complexity factor, then they want to up the rate as well. I’ve handballed eight pallets of crisps today (35min) got an extra quid an hour for it today. 11 hour day :sunglasses:. Might be worth just mentioning next time it happens :wink: .

The whole job started to unravel right from the outset:

I turned up at Derek Jones Commercials at 0630, and announced that I was picking up the vehicle for Exel Logistics. Blank looks all round, followed by much searching of paperwork, keys etc until they found the truck I was looking for. Only it has outstanding repair jobs on the mangled remains of the driver’s steps.

One of their bods starts doing some temporary repair work, while I get on the phone to sort it out. Some little while later it is announced that I am to take the vehicle as is, and drop it back at the repairers afterwards. Hey, ho - only an hour late starting…

There’s no tacho chart in the vehicle - it’s with the paperwork at the depot, so I have to drive it there without a chart and make a written note to explain the discrepancy. Ho hum…

At the depot, no-one knows anything about the vehicle or the load, until the paperwork is found (and the load). I back it onto the loading bay (after struggling for 10 minutes with a very unco-operative barn door catch…) and eventually I am loaded and off to Stoke on Trent. I’m booked in there for 9am, and it’s already nearly half past eight…

I arrive at Sainsburys RDC at Stoke at 1050am. I eventually leave there at 130pm and bimble up the M6 to my next drop at Runcorn, arriviong at 250pm to see a notice that they will not take deliveries after 3pm. Fortunately the Goods In bloke is co-operative and within 3/4 of an hour I’m on my way back with another full load. Arrive back at Watford Gap for a 630pm finish.

One of the bosses takes me back to Crick to pick up my (t)rusty motorbike and I’m home soon after 7pm.

Certianly not a hassle free day, but to be honest I enjoyed the drive :smiley:

Ah, yes Lib, but he’ll be getting paid for several extra hours now.
Picking up the wagon, waiting to load, waiting at first tip, getting lost on the way there :open_mouth: :open_mouth: etc etc.
He should be taking home at least an extra £20, if he works it right :smiley: :smiley: .

If your happy with the job Raymondo, don’t start rocking the boat by asking for a higher rate, for doing a slight extension on the original job.

There are quite a few of us are bikers as well, in here.
On the road, I’ve got a 1981 Honda CB 900 FB. Dead in the garage I’ve got a 1981 BMW R 65 combo, with an R 80 motor in it, seized; and in bits in my shed I’ve got a 1975 (ish) Honda CB 750 K2.

£9.50 was the overtime rate with the agency I was with last. :astonished:

knight:
Roymondo the rate sounds pretty resonable to me. But what i’m more interested in is what sort of bike are you after. As soon as the word bike is mentioned you can be sure to get my attention.

I have a hankering for a BMW Boxer of some sort - R1100S or R1150GS are top of my list right now. I’m currently (ab)using a GPX750, which I have owned now for 6 of her 17 years. The bike is my daily transport to and from work, all year round (so you can imagine the state she’s in). I also quite fancy a VFR750 or 800, or even an ST1100…

can do you a 1998 VFR 800 for £2200

The Biker:
can do you a 1998 VFR 800 for £2200

Thanks - but it’s going to take me a little while to save up doing just one driving job a week :laughing:

Simon:
Ah, yes Lib, but he’ll be getting paid for several extra hours now.

If your happy with the job Raymondo, don’t start rocking the boat by asking for a higher rate, for doing a slight extension on the original job.

I suppose if they’re fairly straight with you, then your okay. Personally I see if I can get away with a ■■■■■■■ about charge to them :grimacing:. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Depends who the client is and if the agency think it’s unfair. If it is, they’ll fight tooth and nail for me. If not, then I think ho hum and get over it :wink: . A day “working in the warehouse” which turned into sticking labels on pallets springs to mind. Almost as boaring as watching paint dry/sticking envolopes :unamused:.

Not keen on the boxers but the VFR and ST1100 are top bikes. used to have a VFR Think the ST’s are a bit overpriced.
By the way I think £9.50 is a good rate. Good luck with future jobs

Roymondo:
One of their bods starts doing some temporary repair work, while I get on the phone to sort it out. Some little while later it is announced that I am to take the vehicle as is, and drop it back at the repairers afterwards. Hey, ho - only an hour late starting…

There’s no tacho chart in the vehicle - it’s with the paperwork at the depot, so I have to drive it there without a chart and make a written note to explain the discrepancy. Ho hum…

If the truck wasnt in a good state of repair you shouldnt have taken it out. Remember its your legs if you had slipped and stopped you drving if ote had happened. Plus they would have argued that you agreed to take it out knowing the risks

The tacho. You shouldnt have taken it at that, you are legally required to use one and VOSA would not accept that they were kept somewhere else and you had to drive back there to get one.

Im glad you enjoyed it. But remember the hirer will blame you if anything goes wrong so make sure you never stray out of your legal requirements.

ralliesport:
If the truck wasnt in a good state of repair you shouldnt have taken it out. Remember its your legs if you had slipped and stopped you drving if ote had happened. Plus they would have argued that you agreed to take it out knowing the risks

The tacho. You shouldnt have taken it at that, you are legally required to use one and VOSA would not accept that they were kept somewhere else and you had to drive back there to get one.

Im glad you enjoyed it. But remember the hirer will blame you if anything goes wrong so make sure you never stray out of your legal requirements.

Sage advice and all noted, thanks.