Hitching info ???

Hi all. As a frequent visitor to this group, I have gleaned innumerous pearls of wisdom, for which I thank each and every one of you. It has really helped me out in my rookie year as a HGV driver.

My friend is due to take his C+E in January 2004, and I was wondering if any of you learned chaps and chapesses could point me in the direction of some info regarding the hitching / unhitching of trailers, as my mate is starting to quake at the thought of having to do it on his own, and would like any and all info he can lay his hands on, in black and white, you know, essential reading for those boring overniters.

Thanx in advance

Darren
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

PS…you may notice that I only have one post to my name, its my new years resolution to be a more lively poster…should fit in well with my resolutions to quit smoking, lose about 5 stones, get a decent job, keep my wife happy 24/7, and promote world peace and death to all gatsos

Darren…

something like this■■?
<A HREF=http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=100> Coupling Up… When Trailers bite back!!!

Hello Darren, and welcome,
Unhitching: Uncouple suzies and airlines, wind down legs, apply trailer brake, (mainly air now, but occasionally on older trailers, may be a ratchet type). Remove number plate, and then release locking pin. Always pull out steady. When winding legs down, try not to lower them too much, (I usually leave them about an inch off the floor, so that when the trailer is next picked up, its not too difficult to wind them up) Coupling up: Back under steady and listen for click when pin locks. Engage 1st gear and gently try to pull forward to ensure locking pin has engaged. Apply handbrake. Put clip on locking pin lever, (it is an offence not to have the clip on when travelling.) Connect suzies and airlines (including ABS if fitted to trailer.) Wind up legs and stow handle in cradle. Release trailer brake. Fit number plate. When coupling up put hazard lights and side lights on, and then you can check if your tail lights and indicators are working when you fit the number plate. NEVER LET ANYONE DISTRACT YOU WHEN COUPLING UP OR UNHITCHING, just ask them to go away (politely) and come back when youve finished.
Hope this helps
Regards
Trev
PS. Objectives 1, 2, 3, and 5 are easy. Number 4 is impossible :laughing: :laughing:

Personally when im uncoupling, i do brakes, legs, suzies then pull the pin (the number plate comes off on the way through the gate).
I always wind the legs all the way down, and then pull forward and lower the back suspension, also when coupling up, to get the legs off the ground, just go under and then lift the suspension a bit it also stops all the grease building up around the front lip of the trailer.

Same as Gurner Brake first, legs, suzies, pin,

always parking brake first.then legs ,suzies and finally the pin.
use the same routine every time.

i dont wind the legs all the way down however. i leave about two inches left, then as i pull out i lower the airsuspension on the tractor unit.
the reason i do this is if the next person to pick the has no air suspension then they should still be able to get under it without try to lift the trailer by winding down the legs.
i would not do this if i was on test though. :wink:

I always start with a visual check to ensure that I am locked in, then walk to the back put trailer plate on , up the side to wind up legs & check trailer brake/ rear wheel steering if fitted & air suspension, then round to the cab double check that I have put the hand brake on prior to coupling the susies.
I have seen the results of no brakes & feel the extra few seconds taken prior to conecting susies are worth it.
I also now check the indicators rather than the hazards, having once almost sqwuashed a police car after collecting a trailer that had been repossesed where I found, out almost too late, that its wiring had been messed about with.

Many, Many thanx to you all for taking the time and trouble to reply, if he passes now, I think the beers are on him !!! :slight_smile:

HI

I felt the same before my training. But after doing it a couple of times it was quite straight forward, my instructor told me to just remember BLEP Brake (Trailer) Legs, Electrics (lines) Pin. Then when re hitching do it all in reverse.

BLEP certainly helped me.

whatever way you choose from all the suggestions always stick to it …you then wont forget to to something…of course you will be distracted…you will rip the airlines off…and you will drop the trailer to its knees…pray your not spotted by too many drivers when this happens and the trailer is empty…

i jest not hopefully…this wont happen too soon in your career