Which is harder...C or C+E?

This bored has gone quiet so i thought id ask a silly question as i know both driving tests are difficult from what i have heard. I am working with drivers all the time i have a lot of friends who are full time class 1 drivers. They all tell m different things…some say the class 2 is less difficult the class 1…others say the opoosite. What is your opinion and why…?

Wouldn’t know! I took my test before the rule of taking C before C+E.

I guess you could say that C+E is more difficult as it involves more. The vehicle is bigger for a start. More gears to contend with. A trailer to reverse, couple and uncouple.

On the other hand, you could say that C is more difficult. You are basically training from scratch. Whereas, when taking C+E you will already have some experience of driving LGV’s

Only one way to find out for yourself - take the tests!

It all depends on the person, and their background.
If you started off and worked your way up through 7.5tonners, then the step up to class 2 will be pretty easy, more of the same only a bit bigger.
If you went from a metro to an 18t truck, then it’d be a huge shock.
If you’re doing the tests now, I’d say it boils down to how long you wait between your C and your C+E. The more time you have between them, the more out of test style driving you get.
As well as that, it depends on your trainer, and how well you get on with the vehicle. So many factors affect how you do on your test. I’d recommend avoiding tests during the school rush by the way. You know how school run mums drive… :unamused:

Having taken tests for Car, Motorcycle, Trucks & Buses, despite passing every test, except car, first time. I would say no driving test is easy.
I found my PSV easier than my HGV, but then I paid for my HGV myself, but was being paid to take the PSV. & thus I knew if I failed I had 2 more goes, on wages, before I lost any money, which does take some of the pressure off, also the examiner was a company employee who I knew which also helps.
As Alikat said “only one way to find out”

Which is ever second to pass. Basically passing your class 2, should make passing class 1 easier as you know what to expect and what you have to do to get a pass. But as with most things in life logic doesnt always fit reality :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Well if all goes well i should be able to give my own opinion by January as i have paid up front for both my class C and C+E. fingers crossed

Class 2 in theory, cuz it’s all new…

But… In reality, it’s gotta be a C1 for the reversing aspect alone… after all a rigid is just a big splinter van to park…

But it won’t be any of that that gets you… !!! I was quite prepared for my first days C2 training UNTIL I got in the cab and was told to FEED THE WHEEL… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

OMG… !!! Shock of my life… I seriously didn’t expect that, and it took a bit of getting used to… Splitters… Mirrors… Checking blindspots… It’s nothing compared to feeding the wheel… :wink:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

I found class C harder than C+E, going from nothing bigger than a family car into a large wagon with a big box on the back took some getting used to.

I failed on the first try at C but passed C+E first time, I very rarely drive a ridgid but when I get asked to I feel faint.

Wayne.

Ditto the above, but I’d ridden a motorbike for 4 years previous. C1 wasn’t too bad. C2 was a lot more difficult.

When I started taking class 2 lessons I was asked how often I drove. My first answer was all the time. Then I thought about it, as a motorcyclist I ride every day and we use the bike at weekends for most things. It dawned on me that,apart from backing the car down the drive at night, I hadn’t driven for nearly three weeks. Thinking about it more I didn’t drive that often. Which probably acounted for one of my faults, which I still have. Namely approaching corners and roundabouts too fast and using the gears to slow down on the plus side I was usually in the right gear to power out .

this will sound a bit wierd but, i found the class 2 test easier than class 1…but found class 1 lessons easier than the class 2 lessons. i think someone mentioned it earlier that class 2 it is all new and class 1 purely because of the reversing manouvre :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I passed my C at 2nd attempt in September and my C+E at beginning of this month at first attempt.

My failure at C was mostly down to my very confused steering - I realise now that I wasn’t used to the Mercedes setup of having the indicator and park brake to the right and trying to feed it didn’t always work. On the Scania 93 they use for C+E most things are to the left, so the right hand has nothing much to do except steer.

The critical thing on C+E is the reverse - I could do on the training ground 9 out of 10 but then occasionally one would go array. That puts a lot of pressure on the test attempt. In my younger days I used to use farm tractors and trailers a lot so always knew how to bend them LOOKING BACKWARDS. But it took me three days of training to get the wheel movement correct using the mirrors - it just clicked on the Thursday.

Another thing it took me a day or three to get used to on the artic was shifting focus from the normal to wideangle mirror at sharp turns to follow the trailer wheels.