First Load

Did first load of wheat, today since passing test in January. The lorry rides totally different when loaded, and hills make a big difference. Is there going to be a test to take when you are loaded as it handles totally different.

Your vehicle will handle diferently when loaded, just be aware that the weight increase can push you forward over junctions, down hills, & into hazards ect ect, so take your time, plan Well Ahead, take your time, & allow Plenty of Stoping / manovering distance :smiley:

I can only echo what Bonnie Lass has said, just take it easier, plan ahead and dont do anything silly. You’ll soon get used to it and be throwing it around like a pro :wink:

+1
definatly handles different just as everyone says and watch them corners coming off a motorway slip some can be very hairy when fully loaded

Jx

its a bit daft really I think. I was thinking about it when my instructor told me a learner can’t drive with a loaded vehicle. The thing is you learn in something that weighs around 8t because its not loaded. You could pass and have a job the next day and your really unprepared for difference in the vehicles performance/handling etc.

LR18-8:
its a bit daft really I think. I was thinking about it when my instructor told me a learner can’t drive with a loaded vehicle. .

Yes you can…

C-Kay is correct.

Its the DSA that won’t allow loaded vehicles on test. So no ones trains with a load.

I had quite a sharp learning curve when i got my start on cat c , Driving an 8 wheel tipper just short of 32 tonnes loaded , is somewhat different to a 8 tonne training vehicle :laughing: .
you soon learn to stand on the brake pedal and get the throttle to the floor :unamused:
The learning definatly starts after the test :wink:

cheers Mike

But the vehicle can respond to different types of load depends what you are carrying

In the “old” days you could use a flat bed ( unloaded ) for your test with all manual & no air breaks or power steering

I remember when I took my bike test the examiner stood at a given point on the test route & watched ( you could ride upto a 250cc on “L” ) then go out & purchase anysize bike you wished but also you could hold your car licence for 25 years & then “gain” you full bike licence without ever going on 1

So things have moved on & all they do is teach you to drive to pass your test ( whichever that is )

I agree a new learning curve it is :slight_smile: my first load (a month ago now seems like a life time lmao :laughing: )

was a varied sort for Aldi , from bread to compost and as other comments said you soon learn to plan ahead and grow popeye muscles on legs for brakeing :laughing:

dilligaf:
. So no ones trains with a load.

I did :wink: Not that it did me a lot of good, seeing as i went straight onto hauling liquids after passing my test. Totally different ketle of fish driving with a moving load :laughing:

But it did make me aware of how much space you need to leave before pulling out on roundabouts & junctions, how to climb hills properly etc