Training Diary

Had my first training session today so here is my training diary for all you nosey buggers!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

After my assessment drive a few weeks ago ( previously posted on the forum ) i started training today with Paul Tunstall of Lindley Green LGV Training ( heres the link to his site if anyone hasn’t seen it before ).

paulslgvtraining.co.uk/index.php

I am having 4 hours per day starting today (8.00-12.00 ) and my test :open_mouth: ( cat c ) on Friday at 10.15am.

Please bear with me if i ramble or make any spelling mistakes as not long got in from work :unamused: .

Set of from home at 7.10am to get to Pauls yard for 8.00am, quick cup of tea and a chat to Paul and to his mate Roy who was taking another pupil for his c+e test in Pauls artic to help him out, into the truck, adjusted the seat fired her up and ready to go ( as i said i have had an assessment drive so was already a bit familiar with the truck).

Headed out onto the roads and Paul said he would take me around some of the test routes throughout the morning, nice steady drive, a few roundabouts, junctions etc, the main problem i found myself having was trying to master the gearbox ( slapover ), i found myself occassionally being a bit too rough with if and despite Pauls advice on letting the box do the work ( ie letting it flick to high range/ low range gently and letting the spring do the work ) i was being too forceful and there was a bit of crunching when dropping down from 7 to 5 and then to 4 etc :blush: :blush: .

As the lesson went on i did manage to get it a bit better but still far from perfect :unamused:

The drive took me around places i had never been before so was concentrating a lot on the route and also positioning etc, for a while when driving off i was forgetting my blind spot but after being reminded a few times by Paul :blush: it soon clicked and i was doing it every time i moved off.

Went to the test centre as Paul had to check on his other pupil in the artic so i had a look around at the reversing bay etc and the waiting room and a quick visit to the little boys room :unamused: then it was back in the truck for a few hill starts, i did ok at these ( no rolling back) :sunglasses: although later on in the lesson i did roll back very slightly at 2 junctions :blush:

Spent about an hour driving on roads with different speed limits and lots of parked cars/ traffic lights and a few tight left and right hand turns, pretty sure i never hit any kerbs but i rubbed one on a tight right turn out of a narrow road when i got the truck to far over to the left when i gave way :blush:

Went to a large parking area off a main road in order to have a crack at the reversing manouvre, i had been a bit worried about the reversing despite seeing a few videos on the forum and reading lots of advice from you guys and gals so was a bit apprehensive.

Paul spent a few minutes measuring up and putting the cones into place and setting up a mat he has which is the same as the hatched area on the test, so i drove up to the starting cones ( keeping slightly to the left one ) and then Paul said to get left lock asap and reverse slowly at the same time, did this and stuck my head out of the window to watch the wheel near the line, checking mirrors and could see the centre cone, straightened the steering a bit and could see the nearside front cone of the ‘garage’ in my offside mirror, bit of right hand down, bit more , bit more, eased it off checking both mirrors i could now see cones in both mirrors, straightened the steering and was more or less centre of the cones, Paul has a white mark on the rear arch and he said to get this level with the front of the ‘mat’ and this will be spot on, i took it slighlty over, applied the handbrake and got out to have a look and was about 3 quarters of the way over the mat with the back end so was happy with that, Paul made me have 2 more goes of the reverse and these 2 time i stopped with the white mark level with the front of the ‘mat’ and this was perfect. :sunglasses: .

So after the worrying for nothing i did the reverse 3 times and all 3 were very good and not even half as difficult as i thought it would be!!! :unamused: .

Anyway did a bit more driving and a bit more gear bashing :blush: and then stopped to have a cuppa :smiley: .

Did about another half hour of driving after that, around a few roundabouts, busy junctions and some long single carriageways to get it up to 40 and then it was back to base.

Lessons for today…Slow down a bit earlier when approaching roundabouts :blush:
…Go gently on the gearchangeing :blush:
…Although using mirrors a lot still need a bit more!!!

Learnt today…Have sussed the reversing ( hopefully!!! )
…Hill starts ( did about 3 and all ok)
…Checking the blind spot regularly.
…Pulling up at the kerbside.

Paul if you read this feel free to add any comments ( good or bad ) and this goes for anyone else if you are still awake after spending the last hour reading this!!! :wink:

Anyway totally knackered now because as soon as my lessons finish i am straight back to work paving and didn’t get home til 6.30…goodnight…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sounds like you had a good drive mate :smiley: Keep up the good work :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a question, I thought I read that a 4 over 4 gear box is compulsory on test?? did I imagine that? lol

Sounds like your day went well, all those little things will come into place over the next few days. Brings back memories, same 18 Ton Iveco i trained in, you’ll soon get to grips with the slapover box, goodluck with the rest of your training, i wish you all the best :slight_smile:

DAY 2…

Started the day off by going round the truck and Paul showing me the daily checks that need to be made, oil,water, washer, brake fluid, lights etc then it was into the truck and out of the yard.

Yesterday i drove around some of the possible test routes i could be taken on and Paul said today i would go over a different route and some of yesterdays as well, drove down narrow roads, dual carriageways and even went on the motorway for 2 junctions, no problems to speak of lots of mirrors, mirrors and more mirrors ( as Paul had mentioned yesterday :blush: ).

So far Paul has learnt me about things such as Pulling over to the kerb correctly, pulling away again, hill starts ( uphill & downhill ), leaving a decent gap behind the vehicle in front when stopping at lights etc, drumming home about checking the blind spot when moving off ( all these i have now more or less mastered ) :smiley:

Yesterday i battled a bit with the slapover gearbox but today it has become a lot easier to manage with me being a bit more gentle and taking a bit more time when changing gear so i am quite pleased with that :sunglasses: .

My worst fault today was speed or should i say too much of it, especially on the approach to roundabouts etc, for some reason i just couldn’t get out of ‘car mode’ and was approaching roundabouts to fast and then trying to select the correct gear, indicate and turn the wheel all at once :blush: :blush: .

This resulted in me mounting the kerb slightly when tryng to go round a small r/b and straight on ( by not straddling the 2 lanes on approach ), i stayed too far to the left and cocked it up :cry: .

After me getting a bit peeed off with myself about all that Paul suggested that he drive for 5 mins and i can have a look at how he does it so we swapped over and i watched him driving, slow and steady and lots of time to select gears etc, after that i drove a lot more steady and for the last half hour seemed to get it together better, so i will aim to carry this on tomorrow.

What i have noticed about myself is that for the first 3 hours i am fine but the last hour seems to ■■■■ up one way or another and i just can’t seem to nail it :frowning: :frowning: .

Lessons for today…slow down on the approach to roundabouts (still!!!) ( see day 1) :unamused: ).
…More observation and planning on small roundabouts ( see above :unamused: )
…Getting more consistant with mirrors but a bit more nearside mirror needed.

Learnt today…Got mirror,mirror, blindspot nailed when pulling off.
…Mastered the gearbox including skipping gears etc :sunglasses:
…Not to try and steer ten to two out of a tight left/right turn but to ‘palm it’ but not all the time (only if called for)!!!

driverjohn:
Not to try and steer ten to two out of a tight left/right turn but to ‘palm it’ but not all the time (only if called for)!!!

Can easily be done using pull push but requires all the wheel to be used - both hands at 12 then meet both hands at 6 on the pull down and then meet both hands back at 12 for the push up

PS - I think the zzzzzzzs in your day 1 post are causing the page to widen so entails scrolling from side to side a bit - could you or the mods take a few Zs out if others are experiencing the same as me

Yeah I had that with the page width too :smiley:

Its coming mate, take your time and it will all come together nicely :smiley:

1 of my minors today was the opposite of one of your bad habits lol. Where you need to slow down at roundabouts I need to speed up lol. I got a minor on approach to roundabout because I was being too cautious when the roundabout was very clear.

Have taken some zzzzs off my first post Rog, can you let me know if any better :smiley:, also Paul did it the way you described 12 to 6 push pull, i will try it tomorrow :wink:

Cheers.

John.

driverjohn:
Have taken some zzzzs off my first post Rog, can you let me know if any better :smiley:, also Paul did it the way you described 12 to 6 push pull, i will try it tomorrow :wink:

Cheers.

John.

Page width fine now :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You can practise that 12 to 6 to 12 to 6 … in your car especially in a very tight turning space at about 2mph - hard work till you get used to it

Nice read and good luck with it, John

Slowing down at roundabouts was something I had to work on too. Although it felt unatural and as if I was holding everyone up it really does help with planning and observation. You can’t do mirrors, indicators, gears and steering all at the same time like you can in a car or van. I also kept trying to change gear on the roundabout or at a tight junction which is hard to do without crossing your hands on the wheel. Just take it slowly. Better to risk a minor for hesitation than get a fail for going too fast or pulling out infront of someone

Hi Squiddy, everything you have just said is true, that was how i was doing it yesterday :blush: however today was a different story :smiley: …read on…

DAY 3

Gave myself a big kick up the backside before i left the house and made myself a promise to try harder today and slow everything down :open_mouth: :open_mouth: …

Got to Paul’s yard at 5 to 8, had a quick cuppa :smiley: and a chat about yesterdays shenan…shinane…shenigns…■■■■ ups!!! :unamused:

Into the truck and off we go, the last 2 days i have driven wearing my steel toe cap boots but today i thought i would wear my trainers ( old and battered and more like slippers!! :smiley: ) to see if it helped on braking by being able to feel the pedal underfooot a bit more, if this makes sense!!! :confused:

Today was to be same as regards to driving on test routes etc so we headed out onto part of the route we covererd on monday, starting to recognise some of the area now so this helped a lot, took it nice and steady, nice and easy gear changes ( me and the gearbox are like bezzy mates now, told it that it can come up to ours on saturday for a drink… :smiley: ).

Oh xxxx heres a roundabout!!!..slow down…slow down…observation…braking gently…nice and slow, into 5th trundle round…mirrors…signal left ( 2nd exit) mirrors…round we go and away!!!, this gave me a big confidence boost :sunglasses: so on we went, through built up areas, through main streets, lots of parked cars / pedestrians, bus lanes, traffic lights and even a few more roundabouts…no problem whatsoever :smiley: :smiley: , things are starting to click into place… ( wish my back and my knees would!) :laughing: .

Anyway we stopped at the test centre to have a look at some of the reversing, there was an artic and a coach so watched the artic first and then the coach, strangely the coach stopped with its back end only maybe just a quarter of the way over the hatched area, the driver didn’t get out to check and the examiner jumped in and off they went, even Paul was suprised!!!

After that i drove for about another hour around another test route, dual carriageway, motorway, more roundabouts for good measure, i was enjoying it knowing that i was doing it well, surely nothing could go wrong■■? :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :open_mouth: .

Came up to a t junction and Paul said i was going to turn left,it was a little bit tight but not rediculously… indicated and got myself right over to the white line, looking left, looking right, all clear out we go…didn’t go out far enough steered left a bit too early and mounted the corner of the kerb with the outer nearside wheel, ( okay, not a disaster but enough to fail your test on), i was well peeeed off with myself but carried on.

Paul measured out and set up the cones, had two goes at the reverse, both spot on even if i do say so myself :unamused: , hope this doesn’t bite my ■■■ on the test day!!!, drove the last half hour back to the yard no problems, nice and steady, lots of nice gear changes, skipping gears and tackling a few tight bends and roundabouts, forgot to mention earlier in the day did a few hillstarts inc 1 on quite a steep hill, and pulling out from kerbside when parked about 2 cars lenghts behind a parked car, waiting for space in the oncoming traffic etc as had to pinch a bit of their lane :smiley: .

Paul didn’t even have to remind me to check the nearside mirror today, think i looked in the mirrors more than through the windscreen today as my neck was aching a bit.

Lessons for today…On tight t junctions when taking a left turn take a lot more room before getting the rear end round ( a bit like my missus has to!! :laughing:) …xxxx hope she doesn’t read this :open_mouth:

Learnt today…slow it right down on roundabouts, junctions, in fact everything!!!
…Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors, mirrors…

Only 4 hours tomorrow and then 2 on friday before my test…valium at the ready!!!

Sounds like things are going well mate :smiley:

The coaches don’t have to over hang the black chevron lines, they only need to get into the yellow area of the bay. Come to think of it when I took my test a girl was going her coach reverse before I done mine and she didn’t get out to look either.

As for the kerb, it does happen. I actually very slightly mounted a kerb on my test and I still got a pass. I thought I only rubbed it but the examiner told me at the end that I did actually mount it. Only very slightly but I still went onto it. When I said to him I thought that would have been a fail he told me its OK and that it does happen as long as it isn’t extreme like having the whole wheel on the pavement on every turn.

When I told Bob my instructor what my minors were and mentioned that one he said he thinks because I had such a good and smooth drive the examiner made a judgement call that I was good enough and safe enough to pass. Even with that little kerb incident.

DAY 4 OF TRAINING.

Got up at 6.15am same as i have done all this week to have my lessons, left home at just gone 7 to get to Pauls yard just before 8, wes feeling pretty tired this morning and said to Paul that is is due to the fact that when i finish my lesson i am driving back home and then onto work paving/landscaping and then not getting home til around 6, so a bit knackered when i get home.

Anyway today i have knocked work on the head and come straight home to have the afternoon off and have a rest before my test tomorrow, will tell you why in a bit…

Anyway started off by doing all the pre-flight checks, lights, air, tyres etc, Paul asked me to show him how to check the oil / water and washer levels, a few questions regarding condition of tyres, wheel nuts and body condition and weight distribution and then we jumped into the truck and headed off.

The first 2 and a half hours were great, covered some test routes, all the usual stuff, built up areas, dual carriageways etc, did a couple of tight left and right turns for good measure, have now mastered these after yesterdays ■■■■ up :sunglasses: .

Did a run up the m61 for 2 junctions and then through some shopping areas, bus lanes etc, i am really feeling at home in the truck now, taking corners/turns etc nice and slowly, no wrong gears, no crossing of the arms, so was feeling pretty chuffed.

Did a few hillstarts and a pulling out from behind a parked vehicle etc, had a cup of tea and then back into the truck for the last hour, as we were progressing Paul noticed that i was starting to be a bit hasty on some gear changes and then on a roundabout i was turning right and rolled over ( only just) the edge of the island when going round :blush: , then i took off in 5th at some lights ( thought i had knocked it down to low range and into 3rd :blush:

Paul reckoned that this was down to fatigue as i had been driving solid for around 3 and a half hours with only a 15 min break, i had to agree with him, i was feeling shattered…

Drove nice and steady back to the yard and parked up.

Starting a bit later tomorrow, .8.30 instead of 8.00 and doing a bit of driving with a few short breaks so hopefully i will be at my best for my test at 10.15 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Around 20 hours to go :open_mouth: so watch this space… i am working tomorrow straight after my test so won’t be posting til about 6 so will have to keep you in suspenders til then :smiley:.

I know, i know, you are thinking, oh how will you get through the day not knowing, just keep yourselves busy and the time will fly by…just don’t sit around anxiously waiting all day…mow the lawn, take the dog for a walk, wash the car, get the shopping done, have a spring clean…please please please don’t worry…it will be worth the wait…I HOPE :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Best of luck matey

Good luck for tomorrow will be keeping my fingers crossed for ya ,

Jen x

:smiley:
Image0017.jpg
truck 1.jpg

John you’ve been a pleasure to work with this week, I wish you all the best for tomorrow.
Many thanks to Rog for the phone call to tel me about this diary :blush: I’m sure Rog will confirm i was absolutely gobsmacked and genuinely didn’t know about it.
However after saying that i do think it makes a ■■■■ good read :smiley:

Good luck for tomorrow. You will be fine :slight_smile:

Good luck with you test pal. Sure you will ace it. :smiley:

Test day

Oh well here we go…im sure you all have had a sleepless night wondering about how i would get on…so here goes.

Started a bit later today as i was totally knackered yesterday and me and Paul agreed that a later start would benefit me come the test :smiley: , i went home yesterday totally drained, fell asleep on the couch around 7 oclock and was in bed for nine :open_mouth:

Got to the yard and had a quick cuppa, pre drive checks and off we go, i had about an hour and 20 mins to go before ny test so just enough time to get warmed up :smiley: .

Drove round some of the test routes we had covered during the week and went to fuel up, Paul had cleaned the windows inside and out and the mirrors were spotless, ( not that any of them were dirty during my lessons ) but they were crystal clear and just the ticket for the test!!.

Paul gave me some last minute reminders to keep speed down approaching hazards, nice and easy gearchanges etc, and i drove around steady for about half an hour, with only about 30 mins to my test i started to crunch gears and select the wrong ones and generally was getting a bit hasty with it all, Paul sensed this and suggested we pull over for a cuppa, and calm down a bit, this worked well and as i drove up to the test centre i felt slightly better, drove in and backed into a parking bay and went into the waiting area…after having a much needed pee!!

In the waiting room were about 5 or 6 other victims, sorry…candidates!! who were waiting for various tests car, bike, truck etc, the test centre is Atherton Wigan by the way, don’t think i have mentioned it before, nice centre with no vehicles all parked up outside blocking views etc.

The examiners were coming out and the place was emptying out, i was the last one and then the examiner came out, said my name, i put my name in the box and with a final good luck from Paul we were off, the examiner said his name was also John and he gave me a quick rundown of the test, then it was time for the show me/tell me stuff, how do you check coolant level, demonstrate how to check wheel arches and spray suppression, how to check audible devices ( sat in cab now ), how to put main beam on…can’t remember last one!

Time for the reverse, John showed me the ‘map’ and he headed to the start and waved me up, reverse was no problem as i had carried it out 5 times during the week and Paul had give me some good pointers on it, straight into the ‘garage’ job done :smiley:

Paul had also explained to me about the tight left turn out of the test centre and about making sure both lanes are clear before exiting as people have failed here as they have drove over the kerb, so i took this in and did exactly what Paul had said and was out and away.

John seemed pleasant enough and gave me some instructions and i set about with the drive, John chatted with me while we were sat at the lights but didn’t say anything while i was driving apart from giving me instructions, turn left, straight on, pull over, drive off etc.

We drove on one of the routes that Paul had took me on and this helped me a lot, but then i realised i hadn’t got straight into a bus lane that had a 7.30am to 10.00am limit on it ( i wouldn’t mind but i had missed this earlier in the week and Paul had bent my ear about it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: , snuck into it quickly when i thought John wasn’t looking :laughing: and drove in it til it ended, on through a 20 zone, tight built up areas, dual carriageway, single carriageway, then John said it was time for the independant drive, he gave me instructions of where to head for and left it to me, down a dual carriageway, signs for m61 north, round a big roundabout and onto the motorway, off at the next junction and follow Chorley signs, after about 10 mins John said he would now carry on giving instructions.

Turn left at the next turning…now this was a very tight turn, almost back on yourself and up a hill to boot :open_mouth: , now Paul had took me this way yesterday and give me some good pointers so i used them all :sunglasses: , up the hill, pull over, hill start, carry on through tight roads with lots of parked cars, stop at roadworks, right at the lights and carry on, before long i could see we were coming up to the second to last roundabout before the test centre :open_mouth: , now i had driven round this roundabout before, it is a bit of a tight left turn and your vision is a bit xxxx from the right, i had also ballsed this up before!!!, keep calm, slow it down, nice and steady and round we go, down the hill to last roundabout, round that, into the test centre and round the perimeter to park up.

I could see Paul walking over slowely and John said to me, “just give me a minute to fill out this paperwork”■■? and by the way im pleased to tell you that you have passed!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: And only 2 minors too!!! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: I called Paul over so he could hear some details from the examiner, John said to us that it was a good drive and he could do with 4 like that every day!!! Paul said to me later that that was a good comment for the guy to make.

Anyway i would like to thank all you guys and gals out there for giving me some nice comments and encouragement and thanks for all the great advice,

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: and to you Paul ( cos i know you are reading this :wink: ) :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Many many thanks for all the advice, tips, patience and great training, i learnt so much every day and without being pressurised into learning it, the whole training process was totally enjoyable and in a way i will miss my morning lessons but i will defo be doing my c+e with you in June…

As i have said before if anyone wants great training, at an affordable price, one to one and an enjoyable no pressure experience then give Paul a shout…you won’t regret it!!!

paulslgvtraining.co.uk/index.php

ps i have a photo of me by the truck with my pass cert but i cant get it to load, it comes coming up as picture is to large 2.54mb…any ideas anyone?? so you can put a face to the story.

Thanks Alan :sunglasses:

Well done John :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have to to admit i went right to the bottom of your post to see the result lol.

Made up for you mate. Get on a job hunt now haha :slight_smile: :slight_smile: