A word of thanks and caution

Hi all,please excuse my typing skills[was a girly thing when i was at school]…just a quick word of thanks to all on this forum for their words a wisdom and insight into the world of trucking,it has been a real help.
As my screen name suggests my youngest lad passed his class c just before christmas after being made redundant by tesco when they shut the infamous middlewich rdc earlier in 2010[i worked there as well for my sins,but left 1yr earlier]
just a few words of caution to newbies considering trucking as a career taken first hand from our experience!!
there is no driver shortage… fact
many jobs advertised on direct gov do not exist…fact
you will have to be prepared to take anything to get a foothold[vans,multidrop etc]…fact
many agencies advertising jobs they do not have the contract for[yet]…fact
be prepared for many knockbacks[thickskin essential]…fact
paying in the region of £2k for your licence and being offered £6.50Hr wage, gut wrenching…fact
contacts within the industry are essential to get a reasonable job…fact
no sign of an upturn yet[in the northwest at least]…fact
the 2yr experience catch 22 is alive and well…fact
All that said,sonny jim is getting odd jobs here and there,but is not walking into jobs as we believed would happen once he passed his class 2…he really wants the work and career change[sick of being stuck in one place day in day out]…to all newbies,scour this forum for a true insight into trucking…it isnt all big bucks and jobs aplenty…the old hands on here do know their stuff and the information has been really helpfull…with hindsight my son maybe have been better holding on to his money and waiting for the upturn[if it comes!!] and to see if wages improve[employers still may go down the foreign driver route rather than improving pay]…class 1 test is on hold for that reason.Hoping this doesnt sound too negative,but you really need to weigh up the pro`s and cons before committing yourself…cheers,Stu

All very true, Stu. Welcome.

I don’t tend to frequent this particular forum too often but sometimes the thread titles catch me eye when using the ‘new posts since last visit’ tool, as this one did. I’ve been saying for some time now that there should be a pinned thread or something to alert potential newbie drivers to what they’re up against but I was instantly shot down in flames by all the LGV trainers on here :unamused: .

With haulage firms going pop on a near weekly basis those drivers have to go somewhere and the majority of them will end up on agency books, so as a new driver you don’t even got a look in. :frowning:

Wannabes coming to this site for the first time should imho be discouraged from starting any training unless they have a firm job offer already lined because otherwise the financial outlay to do the job could end up crippling them when they discover the harsh reality that there is no shortage of drivers and they are unable to source any work. :cry:

Thanks Rob…just trying to give our view on the current situation…sonny jim is a grafter and reliable…just trying to build his reputation with the agencies hes registered with...we were a little nieve about the job prospects i think...its going to be a uphill struggle for the time being ..but now hes got it ,they cant take it away…onwards and upwards hopefully…regards,stu

I know I don’t post often here but anyway. To put a different slant on it, think about how many young people (of my age group and your son’s by the sounds) have spent thousands on University degrees that are near on worthless with graduates flooding the desk-bound related jobs. I think I’d rather pay a couple of grand and wait it out for the job, rather than have paid out in excess of twenty grand and having the same problem. :open_mouth:

Welcome to the forums

Some very good advice there & yes it is a very cut throat market out there for all as employers now have a pick of drivers to chose form

Good luck to your son for the future

Hi newtruckersdad,

What a great post!! :smiley:

newtruckersdad:
… please excuse my typing skills …

:bulb: BTW, please don’t worry about your typing skills. :wink: :grimacing:

Hi all again…thanks for the kind words and observations…especially about university,point taken but hes like a lot of young uns,realistically not university material..hes a real world kid[theres alot out there with no prospect of trade etc]…but on the bright side…got some distance van work with agency…enjoyed that…they now ask for him by name[good for his rep]…got a conditional offer of full time job with with local firm [large box vans multidrop beds]…then had the rug pulled because you dont seem to be excited about the offer[£6ph,12>14hr shifts]…do me a favour!!! also said he drove like miss daisyie…hes not prepared to break the speed limits which theyinferred was expected..lucky escape i think!!! hes just registered with yet another agency [ around 7 now!!!]…they came up with his first 7.5 ton job…double manned,manic multidrop …there on job and knock by the looks…first day fine with a decent guy but digicard decides it going to spit its dummy out…driving on readouts now…card winging its way back to DVLA as i write this…he`s just finished second day with the firm with different driver,complete pleb!! :angry: ,all he talked about was his time in prison and how hard he was[only the daft get caught!!!]…whilst doing 50mph around housing estates…it takes all sorts i suppose…guy at this agency reckons is the 6month mark thats important…reckons the better quality work will come to him then and be able to get in the class 2 regular…but he will take anything offered at the minute…again gents thanks for all the info and advice this forum has provided…cheers,stu

CAN WE MAKE THIS POST A STICKY PLEASE?

Welcome to the site sonny jims dad :stuck_out_tongue:

Great post, and very truthful

newtruckersdad:
Hi all…again gents thanks for all the info and advice this forum has provided…cheers,stu

Gents :question: :question: :question:

I am female or was last time I looked :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BTW you have a PM look as the top of page ( if in doubt do as I ask son) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hi Animal…didnt mean to offend…thanks to all lads and lasses out there …cheers,stu

newtruckersdad:
hi Animal…didnt mean to offend…thanks to all lads and lasses out there …cheers,stu

No offence taken i am a bit thick skinned been in transport too long :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: