Start C Training 30th November

Hello new to this forum 1st post.
I have wanted to drive HGV since May 1981 when i was 8 years old and bought a copy of Truck magazine on our way to boating holiday. I never stopped looking at that mag for the whole week I was there and told everyone I wanted to be a truck driver. 10 Years later I was working for Royal Mail at Leeds MLO Wellington St and kept saying I can’t wait until I’m 21 so i can do my HGV. I never did as an ex truck driver there said I wouldn’t get any work until I was 25 anyway because of insurance. 5 years later I was working as a forklift truck driver always talking to the drivers saying I’d like to get my licence. One driver I used to load up every Thursday to go down to Somerset in a k Reg Artic Scaina used to always talk to me about the ins and outs of HGV driving and one week let me drive his truck down the car park and then reverse back up again! He said I did ok and rather than scare me all I wanted to do then was drive it for him down to the south west! I was made redundant from that place in 1998 and got just over £2,000, why didn’t I use that money to pass my HGV? I don’t know :unamused: . 1998 until now with another firm doing warehouse/forklift but at last after talking to god knows how many drivers and listening to advice decided to go for it! :laughing:
Asked the small haulage firm next to where I work who they use for medical and they said if you pass c would you consider working for us? We would also put you through Hi Ab test!

Really I want to pass the class 1 and would love to drive in Europe Spain, Italy, Greece Etc but need experience before anyone would even consider sending me to Dover. This small haulage firm does have one flat bed artic. If I pass both classes I guess if I asked they would let me drive the artic sometimes. When company’s say they want people with 2 years experience would this count with say 2+ years doing class 2 with an odd day on class 1 to get a job elsewhere on artics?

Done my hazard test and passed even though I didn’t really get it? The real hazards on the video you can see coming a mile off. Seems stupid that someone that has had a B B+E & A licence for 20 years has to do this ridiculous test, seeing what is going to happen before it does on the roads comes as second nature when you have been driving this long.

Then the main theory test, got the cd rom and passed every time on it. Came to real thing and there were loads of questions that I hadn’t had on cd rom and within 20 questions I thought I had cocked it up. Came to the end and looked at piece of paper, 97 out of 100!

Next came the assessment driving lesson, I chose EDT at Sherburn in Elmet as I know the area and he uses the Walton test centre near Wetherby. Again I sort of know the area unlike Keighley where a big training school in Leeds go to. I was told by a friend that the first time I get into the cab of the 18ton Merc it would feel really big but it didn’t. I felt at home straight away. I do tow a 7m long caravan with my car and have taken it all over europe and feel happy reversing it so I guess this helps. It felt great out on the road in the truck. I can’t understand why so many postings I have read on here people saying they were really scared of driving a class 2 even after passing the test! One thing I will agree on though is I kept coming up to roundabouts too fast without knowing until I was on it and in the wrong gear. Only drove for about 40 mins but never even came close to clipping a curb but will have to see when it comes to proper lessons.

1st lesson 30th November then test on the 3rd of December. I can’t bloody wait, not nervous about lessons but will be with the test as I will be so disappointed if I fail :blush: If I pass 1st time then I’ll be in for C+E as soon my licence comes back. The guy at EDT uses the same truck for C+E as just C but with a drawbar trailer. Some people have said this is harder but as I will be used to this truck and have 10+ years of towing and reversing caravans I think it would be better suited to me. I guess I’ll find out when i pass C and have a go with the trailer on.

When I start the lessons at the end of the month I’ll post on here how its going as I have enjoyed reading other peoples apart from that poor guy from down south that has failed 3 times! I really feel sorry for him and makes me realise that sometimes it can be down to luck on the day. When I did my A test (Motorcycle) in 1991 I had a Morris Marina van brake down right in front of me in the middle of a junction. I thought oh great what do I do now? If I hadn’t been on my test it would not have been a problem but on a test its hard to think what to do for the best but passed car and bike 1st time. Just hope I can do the same with the C test :open_mouth:

Ok hope not too Boring or rabbiting too much, wish I was starting next week I just want to get on with it!!! :laughing:

Welcome gardenvespa

I recently passed my category c and really enjoyed it

That’s the main piece of advice I would give. Enjoy it!!!

Don’t worry about the test. It’s just like giving the examiner a lift for an hour. Reversing is no problem if you do a few good ones on practice. Controlled stop is easy. Pick up pace till you reach the cones and stop quickly and safely.

Mirrors and observations are a big thing with LGV driving. Make sure you get plenty of them into that hour and you will have that nice pass certificate. If not. Don’t look at it as a fail. Look at it as an experience to learn from and get you through the next time.

Good luck and keep us posted

Dean

Thanks for the advice Dean :slight_smile: I can’t imagine how it must feel when you pass. Huge relief until you think C + E! I’m used to looking in the mirrors a lot when towing the caravan because its quite a lot wider than the car so I hope that makes me remember. I can’t wait to get started but seems ages already since I had the assessment and its still almost a month until I start the lessons.

I did enjoy the assessment it felt great to be driving a 18ton truck. Got my digital tacho card already, a little premature I guess :laughing:

Are you going to do C + E or just stay as you are for now?

Yes I’ll post on here when I start and give details even if I don’t pass. I can’t give up if I do fail not after waiting all these years!

Rob :grimacing: :grimacing:

Rob

Gonna get some C experience before I go for CE training. I have 2 day old daughter so am enjoying the new addition to the family.

Once Christmas is over, I shall be getting onto the agencies and hopefully getting some work in.

My assessment drive was daunting but definitely empowered me to go for the training.

Dean

Welcome to the forum

You will be given loads of good advice here and people will all be glad to help you in any way they can so good luck for your training and test

all the best
Jennie x

Hiyyaaa gardenvespa & welcome :smiley:

Thanks for all the welcomes :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Welcome to the mad house

A copy of this may be of some use

businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … hicles.pdf

Good luck with the training & enjoy it as it will be here soon enough I know what you mean about the HPT & theory as back in my day I didnt have to do it well no such thing tbh

If in doubt ask your instructor as that what you paying him for or on here if you wish

Hi & welcome! I’m quite new here too, already had loads of tips & advisce from others.

My training starts 22nd (test 26th) & I too got a huge buzz from the assesment drive.

One thing I’m doing to help me for the test is to try to get my “mind set” into truck mode when driving my car. I have the rear view mirror turned down so I have to rely on my side mirrors all the time. I also try to go through the mirror-signal-manouvere procedure EVERY time but to do it as if I were driving a truck on test (i.e. getting into the habit of looking towards the cyclist mirror too)

I’m also using the handrbrake more and flicking (the non-existsant) range switch on the gear lever down so these things become more instinctive

Good luck!

Nez

I’m also using the handrbrake more

Hi Nezza. Just about all you’re doing makes sense - but be careful of the one above. The handbrake - normally known as park brake - is used very little on trucks in normal driving. Be advised by your instructor who should be able to guide you on this (and everything else for that matter!)

Very best of luck - it’s good to see you taking it seriously. Pete :laughing: :laughing:
(Won’t mention the typo!)

Hi Nezza

Went away with caravan at weekend. Need to watch in both side mirrors all the time when towing. Its a German one with no front window so can only see with side mirrors so good practise :smiley:

I don’t drive the car that much I’m usually on 2 wheels been able to brake at the last minute and throw it round roundabouts. Can’t do that with a truck though as I found out with assessment :laughing: :laughing: I found judging speed quite hard without looking at speedo I think maybe because you are much higher from the road. Hopefuly all this will fall into place with the lessons :slight_smile:

Good luck with your test mate :sunglasses:

Rob

Due to start training this coming Tuesday with test Friday 3rd Dec and weather forecast is snow next week :imp: :imp:
I know if test center cancels driving test due to snow you don’t get charged but what if I can’t train all week because of snow then Friday is clear? Would I have to do the test without any training or lose test fee? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Rob

The training school or you could rearrange your test and you are not charged extra so long as it is done with enough notice.

Good luck for next week.

Dean

Dont worry to much about the weather they are used to this & should have a back up plan

Tis happened to me couple years back done all my CE training then come day of test well was fine ( dry ) arrived at test station still all fine then onto test pad for reverse placed in gear about to move when that knock on the door come cancelled due to snow that was dec 4 th

It had come down that quick & fast that from getting onto pad & placing in reverse you couldnt see the box but dont worry as it was then re arranged but next time didnt even get out of yard due to snow so re arranged did I say that was canceled due to snow so did eventually take on feb 23 rd where I failed on the reverse

animal:
Dont worry to much about the weather they are used to this & should have a back up plan

Tis happened to me couple years back done all my CE training then come day of test well was fine ( dry ) arrived at test station still all fine then onto test pad for reverse placed in gear about to move when that knock on the door come cancelled due to snow that was dec 4 th

It had come down that quick & fast that from getting onto pad & placing in reverse you couldnt see the box but dont worry as it was then re arranged but next time didnt even get out of yard due to snow so re arranged did I say that was canceled due to snow so did eventually take on feb 23 rd where I failed on the reverse

Thats a really long time to wait, I’m not surprised you failed after 2 cancelled tests and a almost 3 month delay!

I will just have to see what happens. When I had my assessment in October I thought I might be doing the training and test in a week or so! I was quite surprised when he said test 3rd Dec. The first thing I thought of when he said December was SNOW but then thought I would have to be really unlucky for that to happen. We hardly ever have snow these days do we!!! :laughing: Can’t beleve it could be ruined with the weather after all :cry: :cry: :cry:

Rob

Why didn’t you come to us? Anyhow say hi to Paul from me, he used to work for us. No doubt I’ll see you at the cafe at Thorpe arch.

As for the snow, well those examiners will happily cancel driving tests. It’s rather pathetic but if the reversing area is covered in snow they won’t clear it. Against health and safety rules. Last year it was closed for a week until the snow melted! No one was allowed to touch it with a shovel. We complained like mad but got nowhere.

After you pass in Pauls little waggon, if you fancy a familiarisation lesson in proper artic let me know!

gardenvespa:

animal:

Thats a really long time to wait, I’m not surprised you failed after 2 cancelled tests and a almost 3 month delay!

I will just have to see what happens. When I had my assessment in October I thought I might be doing the training and test in a week or so! I was quite surprised when he said test 3rd Dec. The first thing I thought of when he said December was SNOW but then thought I would have to be really unlucky for that to happen. We hardly ever have snow these days do we!!! :laughing: Can’t beleve it could be ruined with the weather after all :cry: :cry: :cry:

Rob

Sorry but there were about 6 cancelled test in all :unamused: :frowning:

Tockwith Training:
Why didn’t you come to us? Anyhow say hi to Paul from me, he used to work for us. No doubt I’ll see you at the cafe at Thorpe arch.

As for the snow, well those examiners will happily cancel driving tests. It’s rather pathetic but if the reversing area is covered in snow they won’t clear it. Against health and safety rules. Last year it was closed for a week until the snow melted! No one was allowed to touch it with a shovel. We complained like mad but got nowhere.

After you pass in Pauls little waggon, if you fancy a familiarisation lesson in proper artic let me know!

This is so true but the day of my 1st test it was clear until I got onto reverse pad it did come down quickly tbh & no chance of clearing it but also due to where Newcastle test centre is Im not surprised as it is quite open

gardenvespa:
1st lesson 30th November then test on the 3rd of December. I can’t bloody wait, not nervous about lessons but will be with the test as I will be so disappointed if I fail :blush: If I pass 1st time then I’ll be in for C+E as soon my licence comes back. The guy at EDT uses the same truck for C+E as just C but with a drawbar trailer. Some people have said this is harder but as I will be used to this truck and have 10+ years of towing and reversing caravans I think it would be better suited to me. I guess I’ll find out when i pass C and have a go with the trailer on.

Welcome to the site Rob

You have lots in your favour and should have no problems, you are a biker and still alive so I would guess your planning and awareness are pretty good that’s how you pass the practical because if you are planning your drive and aware you will be doing things in the right order at the right time.

Wagon and drag for your C+E you already drive one no different to a caravan just a bit bigger.

Your assessment proves you are already above average so just go nail it.

Good luck and all the best for the 3rd. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Rick

Tockwith Training:

I did look at your website but couldn’t find any prices. I was going to ride over and have a look at your base but couldn’t find it on Google maps!
Its not looking good for next Fridays test I guess if they are that bad :cry:
We have had no snow so far here in Leeds but will it hold for the week■■? :confused: I doubt it but who knows maybe it will stay off.
Yeah I was thinking of asking Paul about getting some experience in an arctic when I pass C+E in the new year. I just want to pass both tests 1st but must be a big advantage to have driven both.
I drove past the test center last Friday morning and saw both your artics waiting to take tests, they do look impressive :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

See you next week then in the cafe then :laughing:
Rob

animal:
Sorry but there were about 6 cancelled test in all :unamused: :frowning:

6 Cancelled! I bet you thought you would never do it!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

God I hope doesn’t happen to me, I was going to start the ball rolling in June this year but other things came up. When I did my medical in September though I didn’t think I wouldn’t be training until now.

Rob :grimacing: