Never too old

Hello members, really great informative professional site.

What do other member think about starting out at age 42. :open_mouth: :blush: :laughing:

Redrorry

Redrorry:
really great informative professional site

Shhhhh dont go saying thatā€¦some members on here wont be able to fit their heads thru the doors :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Redrorry:
What do other member think about starting out at age 42

From my own experience on the road, Ive met other drivers who have come into the driving game at a later stage of life. Normally due to a change of jobs via redundancy or just old plain fed up.
:bulb: If you can tell us where about you are, then a local member might be able to tell you what the job scene is like there?
This post might be useful if you do go doing the HGV route :arrow_right: Job Hunting

Assuming you had passed your car test before 1997 and therefore have C1 entitlement on your licence you do not need to worry about the Inital CPC but instead the PERIODIC CPC

Hiyyaaa REDRORRY, If its what you want to do then why not -go for it :smiley:

bonnie lass:
Hiyyaaa REDRORRY, If its what you want to do then why not -go for it :smiley:

exactly what she said :smiley:

tonka236:
:bulb: If you can tell us where about you are, then a local member might be able to tell you what the job scene is like there?
This post might be useful if you do go doing the HGV route :arrow_right: Job Hunting

Assuming you had passed your car test before 1997 and therefore have C1 entitlement on your licence you do not need to worry about the Inital CPC but instead the PERIODIC CPC

Hi tonka , I am a self employed driving instructor (10 years, grade 5), Things are very stop/go in the industry at the moment with the recession the youngsters canā€™t find the money for lessons. I was hoping to do c and c+e and maybe fit in some agency work around instructing. Iā€™m not adverse to driving nightshift single drop in an artic my next door neighbour does this for wickes and putting the driving school on hold, will always have my ADI to fall back on. The idea is more eggs in the basket so to speak, but like everything the theory and the practice are two different things.

(Held cat B and C1 since 1988 adi since 2000)

Any advice on the pitfalls would be good.

Now a few other members would be best to ask so I wont discuss the issues of working in another job and available hours (like I say there are more knowledgeable people)

Redrorry:
I am a self employed driving instructor (10 years, grade 5)

If only you were here a few months ago you would have met Rog. He also was an instructorā€¦actually thinking about it, are you his long lost brother? :laughing:

Redrorry:
the youngsters canā€™t find the money for lessons

And heres me thinking they were called parents

NOW IN ALL SERIOUSNESSā€¦

Redrorry:
Iā€™m not adverse to driving nightshift single drop in an artic my next door neighbour does this for wickes

It might be worthwhile chatting to him (heres hoping your on good terms) and seeing IF you did the C and C+E if he would be able to get you a start at wickes. Or if he has connections with people who dont mind taking on someone without the 2 years licence ā€œexperienceā€

Redrorry:
ā€¦will always have my ADI to fall back on.The idea is more eggs in the basket so to speakā€¦

Cant blame you on the idea of more eggs in the basket. The fact that your looking at different avenues (had to use that joke somewhere) and looking at adapting your skills is a big bonus and speaks good for you.

The driving industry, like instructing, has been hit by the recession. So much so that there has been more experienced drivers outta work so employers have been able to pick who they want. HOWEVER, over the past couple of months more and more newbies have been posting on here that they have been able to gain that first/second/third job and are now in full time employmentā€¦and within the normal 2 years experience that is normally asked for. So there are green shoots within the sector which is great news.

Redrorry:

What do other member think about starting out at age 42. :open_mouth: :blush: :laughing:

as a wheel steerer yup you get a job .

to be a driver no nothing personal youll never be a driver.

just the way things are ,things are crap these days.
drivers used to fix motors them selve yes i carried a tool bag.

im not popular on this site but he ho :smiley:
yes youll get work.
thats what you wanted to hear.

Your only a couple o years older than me an i aint old so neither are you go for it if its what you want to do theres grannies jumping out of planes no one tells em they are too old
jennie x

sorry :blush:
Welcome to the forum
jennie x

scania245:

Redrorry:

as a wheel steerer yup you get a job .

to be a driver no nothing personal youll never be a driver.

just the way things are ,things are crap these days.
drivers used to fix motors them selve yes i carried a tool bag.

im not popular on this site but he ho :smiley:
yes youll get work.
thats what you wanted to hear.

Is that a riddle to be solved. :wink:

Canā€™t see any problem with starting at 42, attitude is more important than age (unless your 90 and canā€™t climb into the cab :smiley: )

Redrorry:
Is that a riddle to be solved.

Remember the Monty Python sketch about the 4 Yorkshire men ? When I were a ladā€¦etc etc

Yea, I got my class 1 after me 40th so that I am not always doing the donkey work in Class 2 agency land. There is work available ā€œAfter two years experienceā€ so you might have to wait till you are 44 to get onto the bigger stuff. Better paid than many other work and always a laugh, go for it.

Hi Redrorry
Iā€™m 42 and just about to start training and I donā€™t think age has anything to do with it. As long as itā€™s what you want to do just go for it, my only regret is that I didnā€™t do it years ago.

Thereā€™s two ways of looking at the ā€œageā€ thing.

In my experience, young drivers are welcomed by employers who have the foresight to carry out further training and mould the driver to their way of doing things.

Those of us who are a little older score as anyone over 40 could be perceived as being more mature.

Itā€™s all nonsense, of course, but thatā€™s how it is. One way or another it ends up as a reasonably level playing field.

As has been said in this thread, if you want to do it - get on with it.

Good luck with it all. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks everyone for the positive encouragement, I will continue looking into it. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to work around another job. Iā€™m self employed and could set aside certain days for agency work.

Can you get a good enough turn from agency work to be full time agency, or is it a kind of drop everything and run weā€™ve got a job needs doing.

Cheers Brian.