Work for newbies

There’s been one or two encouraging posts recently regarding work for newly qualified drivers.

It was great when a customer was in the centre this morning to start his CE and was telling us that he actually had to choose between job offers for CAT C that he must have had for all of 3 weeks!

He’s now got a well paid, permanent job with the offer of artic driving when he’s passed his test (should be next week if the plan works!).

But, as he said, he’s “put himself about”. I think that’s the most important bit and it’s been said before. Nothing will happen unless you make it so. But things are certainly getting better out there! Not before time me’thinks :laughing: :laughing:

I said this a few weeks ago, I have spoken to and sent loads of CV’s out to companies and generally had a pretty decent response lots of we have nothing at the minute but any one that did have anything going didnt run a mile when I told them im a newbie.

I had a choice between 3 different jobs and picked the one that looks the best for the future, also got a couple of weeks work starting the 17th and maybe next week if the phone goes until I start my new job.

There jobs out there you just got to do the leg work to get it and not give up after a few knock backs :smiley:

As has been said on here before, the best way is to chuck some kit in the car, put some decent cloths on and actually go round to the yard.

Cv’s tent to get “lost” or filed (R for rubbish bin)

Phone calls, unless you get an appointment to go round tend not to produce results (there are excptions obviously)

However, you turn up at the yard and say another driver has jacked it or phoned in sick and you happen to be there
“I’ve got some kit in the car, I can go NOW”

It does work folks

I said this a few weeks ago

Had you in mind …

There’s been one or two encouraging posts recently regarding work for newly qualified drivers.

it’s been said before

… but it’s so important I thought it stood repeating :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley:

Im a newbie from Devon.
I have only had my licence for 3 months and so far im on my second job and i have had to turn down 2 other jobs!!
I have worked very hard to get these job offers, Lots of phone calls and generally harassing potential employers until i got what i wanted :smiley:

Some people need to put just a bit more effort in and some people i guess are just unlucky :frowning:

Keep trying and dont give up cos me and Macca will tell you it can be done ! :smiley:

total madness:
Im a newbie from Devon.
I have only had my licence for 3 months and so far im on my second job and i have had to turn down 2 other jobs!!
I have worked very hard to get these job offers, Lots of phone calls and generally harassing potential employers until i got what i wanted :smiley:

Some people need to put just a bit more effort in and some people i guess are just unlucky :frowning:

Keep trying and dont give up cos me and Macca will tell you it can be done ! :smiley:

What they say :exclamation: dont take any rejection personally you wont meet them again so they can only say no OR THEY COULD SAY YES whats the saying dont ask dont get :bulb:
jennie x

Jennie:

total madness:
I whats the saying dont ask dont get :bulb:
jennie x

nor shy bairns get nee sweets :laughing:

animal:

Jennie:

total madness:
I whats the saying dont ask dont get :bulb:
jennie x

Very very true :smiley:

animal:

now DD will moan he cant understand again :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: jennie x

Had my Class1 for just over a year and worked ■■■■ hard via the agency system to get a decent rep with the TM’s that i’ve worked for. Now I’m one of the lucky ones as a few have called me directly to offer me work. I’m very happy and the work is (fingers crossed) coming through.

I run a lgv training company in Sherburn in Elmet in North Yorks
My trainees who have passed are finding local work.
Without doubt the industry is on the up, just look at job centre plus website for LGV driving positions.

I WAS THAT SOLDIER!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I guess I’ve been pretty lucky! Since passing my Class 2 I’ve joined up with an agency who’ve kept me fairly busy (3/4 maybe 5 days a week). Not ideal but it’ll do while I’m looking for something permanent, not touched a van or 7.5t either which I’d said I was willing to do just to gain some sort of experience.