CPC Mod 4 Test

ROG has asked me to do a little guide to the test so here goes.

There is 8 different combinations each with 5 questions. The last one is always how you would do your daily checks but treat that as a way to top up your marks.

I will try and remember the different questions and go through them as I done them. Firstly this is how the test works.

The examiner will come out to you the same as the driving test check you licence and you CPC mod 2 certificate if you haven’t got them you will not be able to do the test so make sure you have all your documents with you. You will sign to say the vehicle is insured and then lead him out to the vehicle where he will right down the reg.

Then the test will begin, remember you have 30 mins to do it in so take your time think about the question and if you dont understand what you are being asked ask him to say the question again.

My first question was about load security.

Remember that the vehicle is empty so you would place the load at the front up against the head board. YOU HAVE TO SHOW HIM WHERE DONT STAND THERE AND TELL HIM SHOW HIM. Then the second part of the question was what restraining device you would use. My instructor told me that because the vehicle was a box van I would always say tension bar (select what ever device your instructor recommends) then demonstrate how to use the tension bar (remember to leave a gap of about an inch on one side so you dont bend the trolley) Then he will ask you to release the device and place it back on the floor.
TELL HIM WHAT YOU ARE DOING ALL THE TIME AS YOU ARE DOING IT

My second question was about entering the cab and checks you would do before you drive away

Enter using grab rails and all steps and complete cockpit drill point out height indicator, seat position, mirrors, speed limiter sticker, hand brake on and gear in neutral. Start engine explain that you would wait for all lights to go out and no audible warning devices are sounding. Check there is sufficent feul for you jouney and air pressure gauge etc are reading okay. Roll the truck forwards to ensure the speddo is working.

Same again tell him what you are doing

My third question was about vehicle security at border crossing

This is a check of basically any where that any person could hide or drugs etc could be stashed. My advice here is to start in the cab check door pockets, cubby holes, behind seats and if there is a bed under it. Also if there is a sun roof open it and shove you head through it especially if the vehicle has a wind deflector. Check the side lockers as well there is usually a pull handle st the rear of the seat to release them but ask you instructor.

Then start on the outside of the vehicle I started at the steps on the drivers side. Walk around the vehicle SLOWLY checking any little hole or gap where something could be hidden, check the feul cap if it is not locked take it off and look inside it. Check under mud gaurds and all the way underneath the vehicle when you get to the back wheel after checking the mud gaurd get under neath the body so you can see to the front of the truck underneath then to the rear doors explain that is there is a seal on the vehicle you would check the number and make sure it is intact. There was no seal on my vehicle so I opened the door and looked inside. Then repeat the same process along the other side checking everything again and get under the body again and look. When you get back to the front check everywhere again and lift the front grill up and look in gaps etc. Then when you get back to the start point take a few steps back so you can see on top of the truck I done this at the front, side and rear of the truck. Another tip is as you are walking along the side of the vehicle explain that if a curtain side you would check for any slashes and TIR cord.

Remember to tell him what you are doing, take your time and check every where. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK FEUL CAP AS THIS IS ONE OF THE FOUR POINTS THEY ARE AFTER

My forth question was entering the cab correctly

Climb into cab using both grab rails and all steps, adjust the seat to your position and check mirrors and adjust if needed. Point out height indicator. Check handbrake and gear is in neutral then start the vehicle. Check all lights and audible warnings are extinguished and all gauges are reading ok. Then he will ask how you would leave the vehicle. Hand brake, neutral engine off. Check mirror and blind spot open door fully turn round and use both grab rails and all steps to exit close door and push the mirror in explaining that you would do that to stop any other traffic hitting it.

Same again tell them what you are doing as you are doing it.

Question 5 is always daily checks.

Again I started inside the cab. This is my routine that I am going to stick to

Check height inicator, Windscreen wipers work and washers, Horn, Reversing buzzer, tacho calibrated and speed limiter sticker. Look at mirror glass and all windows are clean and free from defects. Hand brake on neutral, start engine all lights and audible warnings out and check gauges feul air pressure etc. Then roll it forwards to check brakes and that the speedo is working. Then hand brake and gear into neutral and exit the cab PROPERLY.

exterior

Switch on all lights including fog lights, hazards, I started by drivers steps again and worked my way from top to bottom checking mirror arms are secure and side indicator is working. Check tyres for tread depth and around the side walls and wheel nuts if indicators are fitted check they are aligned. Work your way along the side of the vehicle making sure nothing is lose such as side impact bar, feul tank brakets are in good order all covers etc are secure and all reflectors are clean and not cracked. Then to the rear axle check trye again, wheel nuts security of mug gaurd and spray suspension and in between wheels for any debris. Check airbags for any sign of damage and under the wagon for any signs of damage.

Round to the rear check the bumber is secure, door is closed and secured, if there is a tail lift check it is in locked position and all lights are working and number plate is secure and light is working. Ask the instrutor to press the brake and put the vehicle into reverse to check brake and reverse light are working he will probably say it is ok but make sure you say it to him. then repeat along the other side checking everything again.

At the front check top to bottom make sure no lose panels all lights are working windscreen is ok tax disc and operators licence. Open grill explain that you would check fluid levels and indentify where they are and check number plate is secure.

Then the examiner will add up your scores and hopefully you will recieve a nice read certificate and a bit of feedback. Shake hands and say thank you to your instructor and go the pub :slight_smile:

That is how my test went but some general advice that may help you is if possible get the you training centre around an hour before you are due to be there and sit somewhere quiet and go over the questions and try to remember the four points they are after you can stand there talking crap for half an hour but if you don’t say what they want to hear you will fail.

Think about your answer before you start, if you don’t understand the question ask them to repeat it. Think about the question and what the four points are that they want to hear.

Think of the examiner as a complete numbty and has no clue about trucks and demonstrate everything like you are teaching him how to do it. Tell him what you are doing as you are doing it.

My examiner said he finds these tests boring and he walked round and I didnt even think he was really listening, they are after four points which are worth five percent each so you have to get them in.

I hope this helps but please remember I am not an instructor so listen to what they tell you this was just to show you that you have to act it all out and really check everything take your time and you will be fine the slower you walk around the less likely you are to forget something.

If anyone has anything to add please do, this test is still reasonably new and I didnt really know what to expect before I done it this will hopefully give people a heads up before they do it.

GOOD LUCK

That is a very good description of what the test is like and how to go about answering the questions. I am adding a link that either training companies or individual trainees can use. It is a link to the 20 possible questions you can be asked on the CPC Mod 4 test. flairtraining.co.uk/PDF/cpcp … stions.pdf

The questions come from a very reliable source.

There are 8 different test papers, each with 5 questions, but as some questions appear on every paper there are only 20 different ones. The walk round check and the question on how to correctly enter the vehicle appear on every paper.

Each question is worth 20 points maximum. You can score either 5,10,15 or 20 points for the question. Most questions require 4 parts to the answer with each part being worth 5 points each. The exception is the walk round check where each item correctly demonstrated is worth 2 points each (there are 10 items)

To pass you must achieve a minimum of 15 in EVERY question, but that is not enough as you must score a minimum of 80 points overall. You must therefore get maximum 20 points in at least 1 question. (you definately know 2 of the questions)

Hope this helps everyone yet to go through this test.

Regards

John

The best advice I can give for the Mod 4 is to take your time answering the questions and be ABSOLUTELY THOROUGH. The 30 minute test time is for the examiner to worry about.

Point to/touch everything you are talking about and be utterly meticulous. Don’t skimp over anything because the examiner is looking out for signs of you overlooking stuff. If the examiner starts to get a bit impatient and cutting you short to move the test forward, then its a sure fire sign that your getting everything right. They won’t move onto the next question until you are happy to do so, or they are already satisfied you know everything. If they do cut you short on a question by saying something along the lines of “that’ll do”, its worth covering your back and asking “are you sure?”.

I got 100% on mine and agree with pretty much everything macca has said. Seems to vary a lot between test centres/examiners though unfortunately. (as Is always the case).

Only thing I’m a little on the fence with is Robs comment on asking “are you sure?” if the examiner cuts you short or moves you on. Surely if they do this then it’s because they’re satisfied that you know what you’re on about and/or don’t need to see anymore. 99% of the time if you’ve missed anything major they do that completely UNHELPFUL thing of either standing in complete silence or the marginly more helpful “Are you happy with that?” prompty thing.

take a daily walk round check sheet with you print it off the flair training link and use that to help you as i was told on my cpc mod 4 they cant stop you if its something you will use in your everyday routine. happy days only 4 questions to get right now.

take a daily walk round check sheet with you print it off the flair training link and use that to help you as i was told on my cpc mod 4 they cant stop you if its something you will use in your everyday routine.

No they can’t stop you doing that. But we find examiners are happy for you to do the walk round check and then refer to the check sheet. Shows a bit of knowledge and doesn’t smack the arse out of it. Good luck :laughing: :laughing: