W&D Training Diary - Now PASSED! YAY!

I saw her again today…what a beautiful woman. My heart skipped…arghhhhhhh wrong diary!!

24th September

So it is actually today that see’s me start my ‘’Class 1’’ (sorry but for a young lad I’m still old school) training. I arrive at the yard to see the truck (below) all coupled up raring to go…Well that’s…erm…erm…looks big! But I think back to the rigid and I had the same thoughts then but as the time driving it passed my confidence began to grow and by the end of the course I was well away.
We quickly give a walk around check and a quick debrief on the coupling system and how the trailer works in relation to towing. This brings me a laugh as when we walk round the trailer we reach the back door to find a big open space…’’erm, should that be like that??’’ Turns out that some thieving low life tried to rob the diesel, couldn’t and decided to take the door instead. Go figure eh?
We leave Hednesford and head for a short drive down to the local lay-by with Grant (the instructor for the week) driving. Again, same as the rigid he gives a good commentary on how to approach junctions, islands etc etc, which he makes seem so easy. As soon as it he had begun it was suddenly my turn.
YAY I’m actually going to be driving this big mamma jamma for the week and hopefully many many years to come*. I find it easy to quickly switch back into the learner mode. I’m constantly in mirrors, checking my position, checking off the cars that pass me on the opposite carriage way. The ride up to the reverse pad (my location for the next two days) goes past in a blur without any major or minor incidents. The roads we did on the very first day of the rigid (where I was contemplating throwing in the towel there and then) are effortlessness. No kerbs, nothing ‘dangerous’. I’m happy.
As I said earlier we spent a good 3hours (of 4) up the reverse pad getting that nailed down along with the braking and (un)coupling. I get a quick demo of how the reverse should go and make a quick note of that ‘’mark’’ on the rear mud guard. Then it is my turn and to my shock…first reverse…STRIAGHT IN THE BAY!! :open_mouth: That should have left me in a good mood about it however I start to put pressure on myself to prove that it wasn’t a fluke :smiling_imp: . As a result the next couple all require a shunt. Now I will openly admit that I would love to get it in on test first time…however I also know that I will openly take a shunt if I’m in doubt. After all it is better to be safe than sorry.
I think the problem is, that I’m driving it like the rigid, where I’m leaving it until the bay to correct it. Ultimately I should be curving it into the bay. Seems so easy when it is written down.
We had a quick couple and uncouple which went easy and is all good. That I’m pleased to say is playing through my head and I feel ok in that.
The way back to base brings fun…MOTORWAY! I’m pleased to report that my motorway cherry is officially popped! I’m smiling all the way back to our junction, feeling like I’m starting to belong. Ultimately I think I will belong once I have done all this when in a job and no-one is there to tell me ‘’try this…try that’’.

This is ‘MY’ truck for the week

• Before anyone starts posting, I’m aware of the job scene but hey everyone has a right to dream and have aspirations surely??

** Just a quick thanks to Rog for uploading my rigid diary on to the training page. Was reading it when half way thru it started to sound familiar :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Oooh goody - this looks like it could be another diary to be added to the list :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Are you intending to get some artic training post W&D CE test :question:

tonka236:
I saw her again today…what a beautiful woman. My heart skipped…arghhhhhhh wrong diary!!

I think you should post this one who knows it might make a film.

Seriously GOOD LUCK with the training and enjoy, there is a bit more work out there I had a phone call asking me for a newly passed class 1 urgently required for today and that was only yesterday.

Who knows it could be picking up.

ROG:
Are you intending to get some artic training post W&D CE test :question:

Ultimately i think will need to attend a refreser course, for confidence and understanding of how they differ but mainly for the safety aspect as well

Glad to hear it’s going well Ben :sunglasses:

Data Academy:

tonka236:

I think you should post this one who knows it might make a film.

Seriously GOOD LUCK with the training and enjoy, there is a bit more work out there I had a phone call asking me for a newly passed class 1 urgently required for today and that was only yesterday.

Who knows it could be picking up.

Thought it might get peoples attention with that openly line :wink:

Regarding the call about the driver … DAMMIT!! Knew i should have done this earlier :laughing: :laughing:
Think that is offically called the Law of Sod!
Same day I passed the C there were a couple of jobs for the single week :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: Like I say Law of Sod eh?

26th September

Not much to report today if I’m honest. Reverse is now getting better and will only require a brush up over the next couple of days until test on Tuesday. I’m now able to read where the uni should be, where the trailer should be and what they both should be doing. I’m now understanding when to take a shunt and what to do in the shunt to make life easier when I come back. Yesterday on the first couple I would take a shunt and end up back where I started, but not today thankfully.
The couple and uncouple is also going great. The only difference to the BLANK or BLACK mentioned on the site is that, Chunky has me put the number plate on when giving the ‘new’ trailer the once over on the checks like. Can understand his thinking and ultimately before I’m happy I have the mental image of BLANK in my head and I make an habbit of ticking each letter off.
Ah mentioning the daily checks on the trailer. For those that have read yesterdays installments about the trailer door being robbed, it has been bettered. On inspection on the corner upright :open_mouth: …there’s only a birds nest. Now I wonder if, seeing as I’m driving a HGV if I can also do my PSV seeing as I’m carrying passengers? :grimacing: Of course I joke I mind.
On the way to and from the reverse pad, we do part of one of the test routes. Both ways in the end along Sandon Road. The morning rush hour made it fun when you reach the end (Beaconside) you have no option but to wait until there is a space big enough to pull out off. Ultimately you will be going across both carriageways which dictates that you will need a space big enough to get through. The reverse of the Sandon Road thankfully brings no trouble. Now this road, where you turn off Beaconside onto the Sandon Road, brought me nothing but trouble in the rigid. However due to the size, it has to be approached as stop before proceeding, cos you will need to rob the opposite side of the road. Felt pleased with myself along here and for the day over all.

The only downside of the day, came on way back from reverse pad. Coming along the Eccleshall Road back towards the motorway. Oncoming truck on one of the bends. I knew full well I would end up brushing the trailer wheels on the kerb and I did. Now this may sound stupid, but weirdly enough I’m happy that I did it. It suddenly wakes you up to the length and width of the vehicle and therefore it is now out of the way and done and dusted.

I’m still happy and loving it and as confidence grows bit by bit I’m loving that little bit more and ultimately push myself that little bit more also.
Now tomorrow is a whole new ball game…Town driving. Just running over the same old test routes that we did in the rigid but now with a all be it slightly bigger vehicle…just slightly. Major respect for still for those already doing it
Right i’m off to tuck into more Jaffa Cakes and watch a bit of Neighbours before an early night me thinks.

26th September

The Day of The Copper

So I arrive at the yard to meet Chunky and get the rigid to go and couple up. Have a general bit of natter to hear that about an hour or so after I saw him yesterday afternoon he had been knocked off his bike whilst stationary at the traffic lights :open_mouth: . The woman didn’t only ram him from behind but went up over the bike and then stuck it in reverse…trying to make sure the job was done properly eh? Don’t worry I won’t mention the stereotypical female driver…I know better. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thankfully he was given a clean bill of health from his GP and we spend a while having a little chuckle about it.
We go and pick up the trailer* and find a small issue with the coupling system. The pin when released drops continually instead of waiting for the pressure plate to be activated. Arghhh…stress! But hey I don’t panic and a short while later we both manage to couple it up. I’m now in a position where I know the coupling process and I’m not being told do this and now that followed by, thankfully the confidence is coming. I’m even quick to get in ‘Can you check my lights for me please?’ :slight_smile: Something I hadn’t been quick to do over the past couple of days.
The aim for the day is road and town driving and by jove we did that. Starting from Hednesford we leave and almost immediately we are on tight corners and fiddle little streets. To start with I’m overawed by it by soon my confidence begins to go in this aspect of my driving and I’m fast realising that ‘slow it down, get everything is sequence, and when and only when you are clear then go.’
Soon we arrive at Hill Top in Cannock, proceed over the island by the garage and down to the next one where we turn right and I’m told ‘pull up on the right in a convenient place’. So I spot a nice stretch where there is no off roads, bus stops etc. Check mirrors before I pull up to a stop and notice blue lights in them…’ah perfect timing on the stop, space for him to come round’ I think, ‘oh he’s slowing down…he’s stopped’ Wind down the window…
‘Hello officer’
’Do you know you have a brake light out?’

Frick.
Chucky reaches one out from under the bunk…Band new in the bag, never opened…its only a DUD!! :imp: So eventually to cover ourselves we go down to the nearest garage.
Must say first time I have been stopped in a truck and may I just say quick thanks to the guys in the car who were nice and polite as well.

Soon we are covering the ins-and-outs of Cannock, Brownhills and Walsall. Only issue I had was on the approach back to the A5 (Brownhills Side of the M6 Toll) assumed it was in gear but must have just missed it. Dammit! Won’t be making that error again trust me.
Thankfully not much traffic around to day yet the roads still seemed small and can only imagine that they are minuscule during rush hour. We end cutting along the Black Country Route over the M6 @ J10 and go to the nearest Volvo dealership there. Unfortunately they are unable to help with the light issue…Can get you one, for Tuesday? Erm think we will leave that. :cry:

We end up cutting back up the motorway J10 — J11. Everything goes well and I’m loving it. Loving spending as much in the mirrors as possible, the road positioning that you have to take not only just on the M-Way but at hazards, junctions, lights. I feel I’m a lot better on the approaches to these now and I’m able to get out of car mode and really make the effort to put the truck as far across as possible to try and free up the other lane for traffic. Over the day the routine is getting better as well. I’m slowly beginning to read the road in front of me and choose the gear on the approach so I can keep the truck moving and when need to, stop and be prepared straight away to get going. The only issue Chunky has with this is I’m sometimes dropping the button just a couple of seconds to early. As pre-empting what with be required, instead of making sure that the road demands it. Hope that makes sense? By his word general nit picking. Yet i really dont want this little errors.

I’m cut early off lesson to allow the truck to be booked back into the garage (last thing I want is for that to be an issue on test) and for the purchase of surplus bulbs.
I had a laugh on the way back to be told…If I could I would take you for test tomorrow… at this point I made the comment don’t give me praise. It’s like I consciously then try and drive to that standard instead of allowing it to be natural like and then major errors come into it. :frowning:

Had a phone call earlier to say can I be at the yard for 11:15 because the truck has been kept in, hopefully not the ICU ward. :grimacing: Think we are all over the test routes tomorrow, will probably ask to visit the reverse pad at some point as well just to refresh myself on it.

• I’m pleased to report nothing else been taken from the trailer and no signs of any new birds (of the feathery kind) hatching yet. :unamused: :laughing: :grimacing:

tonka236:
The only issue Chunky has with this is I’m sometimes dropping the button just a couple of seconds to early. As pre-empting what with be required, instead of making sure that the road demands it. Hope that makes sense? By his word general nit picking.

He is concerned that if the situation does not require it then you might forget to put it back again.

ROG:

tonka236:
The only issue Chunky has with this is I’m sometimes dropping the button just a couple of seconds to early. As pre-empting what with be required, instead of making sure that the road demands it. Hope that makes sense? By his word general nit picking.

He is concerned that if the situation does not require it then you might forget to put it back again.

Hit the nail on the head there Rog. Looking back now you can understand it clearly and a lot can happen in that second(s) difference from where i drop the button to an experienced driver does as well. Hoping that i will get this sorted tomorrow once again. :smiley:

Changing the switch in readiness for an up or down change through the box is a very good idea as it makes the range change quicker and smoother but as you have found out - it’s down to timing and necessity - oh, and remembering if you did it or not !!

Hand on gearstick
finger on switch
which way is it?
I don’t wannabe a ‘■■■■’

ROG:
Hand on gearstick
finger on switch
which way is it?
I don’t wannabe a ‘■■■■’

I found myself laughing at this yesterday when i read it Rog but i will openly admit i found myself saying it a couple of times today out on lesson. Think because it is funny it will always be one of those things that stick with me and will be using. :smiley:

27th September

This morning proved to be a day of mixed emotions if I’m honest. We left Hednesford and headed up towards Stafford to go to the reverse pad and then test routes. On the way, dropped the gears a couple of times (didnt panic thou, dipped the clutch in and out and away we go) and just a few other errors which by the standard I set for myself just got annoying. Just overall found myself snatching at it. Think looking back it came down to not having my usual Jaffa cake packet this morning. Who knew a small tasty snack could bring down a man? :laughing:
At the reverse pad thou, completed 6 reverses and of those 5 went straight in with easy. The last one I wasnt too happy about so to make sure, took the shut, lined it up properly and straight lined it back into the bay. I know on test I will have two shunts to ultimately use, and like I said previously I will use them and not risk a failure.
Now I have always believed that car drivers are stupid but today sumed it up. Coming out of the airfield that we use for the reverse, the road is suitable for two cars to just squeeze through, so why does stupid car driver feel the need to pull out in front of me, bringing me to a halt whilst she squeezes past. It compounds the fact, they are stupid, even more when there was nothing in front of me from either direction nor nothing behind.
We then go and hit the road up to the test centre and I’m pleased to report that I started to get back on top of my game.
Down into Eccelshall, where the roads are nice and tight with on coming vehicles and even more so once you drop into the village itself. There is legal parking on both sides of the high street which see me having to wait for the on coming cars to go first before I am able to proceed. The tight little junctions and roundabouts seem manageable today which I think is in parts to the work we did around Cannock and the surrounding areas yesterday.
Down to the test centre and a quick 360 around the entrance…so this is where I will meet the man who will decide my fate in a couple of days…unlucky fella if you ask me
Come back out and turn right, back along the way we was coming originally and attempt the nice right hand bend. Drop down into low range and creep up to the line constantly checking for traffic and my position in the mirrors. Nothing coming…lets go. We come across the very thight island and then immediately there is also a bridge on one of the exits from test centre. Thankfully a car comes round the island and head our way so keep the wheels rolling and keep in the same gear as the bridge is a bit blind. Coupld of cars come and meet me on the bend so i stop and then look to pinch part of their opposing carriage way to allow myself round. The confidence suddenly comes back once again. Short little ride back down towards Stone which is uneventful (I know come Tuesday morning during rush hour it is going to be nothing but fun). Here we turn back towards Stafford and head through the town centre and take a punt that the roadworks near to the train station have gone…thankfully this is the case. Now I must admit I had to smile here. You come up the road splits into two lanes, left turn and right turn (test route implies that you will turn left), in a rigid you are expected to get round the corner in the left lane only however for the W&D you must block both lanes. I had a couple of horns, but hey what can you do. You have to block them off otherwise you take out the traffic lights.
We then start to head home through the traffic and back to base where we drop off the trailer ready for the coupling back up in the moring.
Weirdly enough I end the day thinking of monopoly…
Do not pass go…until you are clear
Do not collect…the lampost
:sunglasses: :wink:
I know it sounds crazy but it actually ends up working and as I drive along I end up picking up the potential hazards in front through-out the second half of the lesson.

I know for some people it might not seem like too bad of a day, however by the standards I set myself I feel like there is room for improvement and I will be putting those errors right tomorrow when we head of on the Stoke route and a couple more.

28th September

So this is it…my last lesson before THAT day, and I’m pleased to say that everything that could go right did. No issues with the gears, now selecting the gear as a roll up towards the hazard. This then gives me maximum time to assess and assess again, keep the wheels rolling, position correctly, check everything off in the mirror and if needed drop the button if required.
We leave Hednesford and go fill up before heading back along the motorway up towards Stafford North.
Managed today to complete the same route I took for the rigid. I thought it was tight then but oh my days :exclamation: it’s even tighter now. Easy case, drop the speed and feed yourself through the tight islands and constantly check yourself in the mirror (the truck I mean not actually myself :grimacing: ) and down towards what is known as Dead Man’s Curve. Here the signs both on the side of the road and on the tarmac says DEAD SLOW. Now in a car that’s good but for a truck you need to be 69 feet under kind of slow. Even worse if you come across another truck coming the other way. Which of course had to go and happen didnt it? But came through it and that gave me a boost of confidence as it happened at the worst possible time. Then its back through Stone (again tight but manageable as long as you watch you speed and position) and off to the Cafe for a beautiful bacon sandwich. :smiley:
Shortly we are off to the reverse pad, me I was yearning for another Bacon butty. :smiling_imp: :laughing: As we pull up all the bays are in use :unamused: :laughing: , so quick couple and uncouple just to run back through that which again leave me in a positive mood. Complete 4 reverse’s which go great, finished a little short on one, jumped out and checked it and then nudged it back as required.
Then it’s back towards Stafford before heading back down the motorway and back through Cannock centre back to base. On the way I’m told that if…IF…the worse should happen tomorrow then I won’t be given any more lessons, simply because it will either be something stupid in a panic moment or some … person … who decides to take the licence off me. This leaves me actually feeling positive, because I have been driving, generally, to the standard required to pass the test.
Now coming from a rugby background :blush: I only have a typical adage in my head, body in the oven head in the freezer. Simply because for one hour of my life tomorrow, I must be alert to everything that is happening around me both in front and behind. But I must never panic.

Here is hoping to a good result tomorrow where I can hopefully officially join group.

Until next time folks…

What time tomorrow is the trial… oops sorry, I mean test :question:

Good diary ben! :smiley:
looks like its coming on well bruvs :laughing:
good luck for tomorrow mate :smiley: :wink:

ROG:
What time tomorrow is the trial… oops sorry, I mean test :question:

The exucution is at 8:15am tomorrow Rog…weirdly enough i feel unlucky for the examiner :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ive only gone and done it!

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: IVE PASSED!!! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Came out with 4 minors (one of which for mounting a kerb) but im still well happy!! :smiley:
Just off out now but will put a true description of everything that happened today on here when i’m back a little later! :grimacing:

well done mate :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: