Perfectly legal

As we are mainly aware there has been a lot of discussion on here about some “national” training providers, there has also been some discussion and concerns about some of those companies perfectly legal marketing claims and perfectly legal tele marketing practices.

The words " let the buyer beware" is ever so true. due to certain legal issues we have had to restrict to an extent discussion of the marketing practices of a few companies. while some companies attempts to attract new clients may look to the knowledgeable to be dodgy, these companies are not daft and stay just within the law.

I am pleased to say we may have a solution. a new initiative by a well known and reputable company, to create a network of smaller LGV training providers. all participating in a new “National website” .

rather than making claims of work after passing your test, or offering “extras” that may not be needed, the aim of this website is to direct the prospective LGV driver to their local school that has shown it trains and markets to a certain ethical standard.

This idea is still in its planning stage, If any training providers wish to know more, they can drop me a mail or call me and I will pass on the details.

If this does come to fruition and gains the backing of the industry media, it could mean that it gets the exposure and credibilty, with that hopefully some of the more disliked training providers with their unwelcome marketing may lose their easy market
(note: this is not an RBI initiative, nor am I personally involved in any way)

Now that’s a brilliant idea and certainly not before time.

I cringe at the claims made in the tabloid press at what newly qualified drivers can earn as soon as they pass their test :imp: :imp:

Pat

Rikki-UK:
I am pleased to say we may have a solution. a new initiative by a well known and reputable company, to create a network of smaller LGV training providers. all participating in a new “National website” .

It will be interesting to see if the only criteria is just to be a non-national or whether each school is to be deemed ‘reputable’ which then raises the question of who says whether it is or not.

Whichever way it is done, to have a UK list of all the non-national LGV training schools on one site, which would probably be done professionally with links on a map to each of their websites, can only be a good thing for those looking for a school choice in their chosen area.

I wish success to those in setting this up.

HOORAAAA… not before time I have been talking to other providers to start doing just this I for one am more than interested and indeed would be more than happy to offer my time to help get the ball rolling.

All the best Rick.

Thumbs up by me, I am behind the scheme and would love to get involved.

The training company that is setting this up is reading this thread, ( the threads intention was to gauge reaction from providers to see if it was viable, judging by the response both here and in my e-mail its very positive).
This is not mine or an RBI project but being done by a training company that feels there is an opening for a network of local schools without some of the hype that happens.

I have had a sneak preview of the website, and it does “what it says on the tin” No hidden extras, complicated loan fees, guarenteed pass (as long as you travel 250 miles to another training provider).
and all the other perfectly legal techniques that have been used.

It is not a Broker/Middleman website, its is for DSA approved companies that actually run training vehicles of a decent age ( and some other criteria that training providers will be informed of if they apply to take part).

Even though it hasnt been mentioned, I can see that the requirements to be listed could actually lead to a de facto expected industry standard and membership of the website could almost be a industry seal of approval.

This is well overdue and I believe, if the plans outlined to me come to fruition, is something that the insustry as a whole will support.

its is certainly a project that I intend to monitor closely, and if it does “what it says on the tin” try to get as much media support for it as possible.

At least this lot hopefully wont bombard me with solicitors letters and writs :slight_smile:

I’m sure we would like to get involved. Sounds like a great idea.

First reaction is that it sounds good. Interested to learn more :laughing: :laughing:

I think it’s a great idea, will definately help eliminate the stress in finding a training school that you can trust with your hard earned money and will actually provide the training it advertises. :slight_smile:

Sounds like a good idea- would like to find out more info :smiley: :smiley:

It does sound a good idea, we would like more info aswell. :smiley:

I would love to know more - help to clean up this training sector and give the trainee a proper chance to choose a real training school is something that has been needed for a long time. Gets my vote :smiley:

I would be interested in knowing who will be setting the standard and who will be allowed to advertise on the website. Rick mentions that only DSA approved companies will be allowed on the site. There are not that many approved training providers around.

Is there not a website already around that is good for finding local training providrs called yell.com?

The training brokers do need to be taken to task by the authorities. Today I made a call to a broker who tried his hardest to sell me a course. I was actually told that they would book 2 tests for me on the same day so if I failed a test in the morning I could do another test in the afternoon!!!

I was told a few months ago that i could train at my own company for £200 less than i charge - I dont work with brokers and had never heard of the company - reported them to trading standards.

Ladies and Gentlemen

Good morning. I have been reading your comments with interest. Re: the last reply. Sure you can advertise with Yell.com. Bear a couple of things in mind. A listing on Yell.com costs between £470-£1200 (3 tier listing). You can get a free listing, however you are the bottom of the pile. An even more important factor is that YELL.COM LISTS BROKERS, MIDDLEMEN AND NATIONALS. Also if you are looking for LGV training, do people search search Yell.com or Google??.

A website dedicated to promoting local quality independents and warning customers about the pitfulls of going through brokers can only be a good thing.

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome seanpargeter :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
Are you this Sean Pargeter of eptraining.co.uk/ :question:

FROM HERE
:
Sean Pargeter, sales director at EP Training Services in Surrey

All the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members of this site, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Your powers of observation are correct. I think this could be a good idea. The brokers are getting all the new entrants and trainees. If nothing is done,then nothing will be done.

seanpargeter:
Ladies and Gentlemen

Good morning. I have been reading your comments with interest. Re: the last reply. Sure you can advertise with Yell.com. Bear a couple of things in mind. A listing on Yell.com costs between £470-£1200 (3 tier listing). You can get a free listing, however you are the bottom of the pile. An even more important factor is that YELL.COM LISTS BROKERS, MIDDLEMEN AND NATIONALS. Also if you are looking for LGV training, do people search search Yell.com or Google??.

A website dedicated to promoting local quality independents and warning customers about the pitfulls of going through brokers can only be a good thing.

So how will new trainees find this website?

Probably google either through sponsored links or organic, either way there will be a considerable cost involved and who will pay for this? Probably the training companies!

Will this website not simply become a new sort of “middleman” or “broker” in its own rights?

Perhaps it will be called something like www. lgvtrainingschools.co.uk and if that is the case, would it not come up near the top of a google search especially if it contained loads of links within it to the individual schools around the UK :question:

I’m not very internet savvy so not sure how these things work :blush:

As somebody mentioned, the new website will only be for DSA approved companies, and as we know there are not many of them about, and reference that the wagons must be of a fairly decent age, but I don’t necessary think this should be one of the rules, because if wagons are looked after properly, serviced and cleaned regularly, we all know that wagons can last for a considerable long time.
Judging by all the comments, I think we will all be interested once the website goes live, and as to which the company is, and how it will all work, is the website up and running yet?