My Training Experience - C Class Passed 1st Time

Hi all,
It’s nearly 12 months since I started to look into training for my HGV, which I finally decided to start last week. So, I thought I’d share with you my experience as I’ve gained a lot of help from this forum myself.
Like a lot of people, the first “training schools” I came across were the so called “nationals” or “marketing” companies and after further research (opinions about them are well documented on this site) I decided to look for a local school with a solid reputation. Having phoned round or e-mailed a few I whittled my choice down to two prospective schools and eventually decided to train with Data Academy in Leicester (more about why later and apologies if this seems like a plug but bear with me).
I did my medical with Drivers Medicals (only £49) and decided to deal with the Theory and Hazard perception tests myself rather than attend formal training. Although some people would no doubt benefit from a classroom setting, I simply bought the DSA Theory test CD (£20) and HPT DVD (£10) from WH Smith on line. I passed the theory tests last December but then for one reason and another — not least of all the job situation — I decided to postpone practical training until only recently. In fact, the new Initial CPC training requirement gave me the kick up the backside to get it done (although as it turns out, I have acquired rights with a C1 entitlement on my licence which means I don’t need to do it anyway).
I did my driver training assessment a couple of weeks ago and was assessed as requiring 4 days plus the actual test itself and I started my training last Wednesday. The vehicle I was assessed and trained in is a very nice Scania, lovely truck to drive and I soon got into the swing of the range gear box and curb avoidance with the help and encouragement of my instructor. Me, my training oppo and instructor all got on well which is important given that you’re spending the best part of a week if not more at close quarters and we had a laugh as well as the serious business of driver training. The first day we spent quite a lot of time dealing with the walk around and daily checks as well as tachograph use and the general functionality of the vehicle but we also did a lot driving as well. By the end of day two, I was surprised at how well we were getting into good habits in terms of observation, mirror checking and hazard drills etc. On day three we practiced our reversing and emergency stop in a mock up facility identical to the one used in the actual test and by Friday afternoon, I was feeling fairly confident for my test on Tuesday. Day four and more driving only today presented somewhat of a twist. It was around 9.00am as I exited the A46 to head into Leicester on the A50 where we saw another truck parked up on the side of the road. The poor guy who was on test had been involved in a collision so we pulled over to see if any assistance was needed. Anyway, I ended up driving the examiner back to the test centre as he needed to get back for another test and you guessed it, when I arrived for my test this morning I got the same examiner.
So test day and as you can imagine I’m a little nervous but as soon as I’d got the reverse and emergency stop out of the way I settled into the vehicle for the remainder of the test. Now it’s fair to say that I was tense and under test conditions I didn’t drive as well as I had done the previous day but with the exception of a few silly mistakes I passed my class C on the first attempt. To say I’m over the moon would be an understatement :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
It’s been a tough and challenging week which has required a lot of focus and concentration but I have to say that my instructor was brilliant — making sure that I had all of the necessary skills to pass the test. I can thoroughly recommend Data Academy as a training provider, not only are they passionate about Driver training they also live up to their word, that is that they will train you to a standard over and above the minimum requirement to pass the test, and, having passed my test today and can vouch for that.
So what next? Well as soon as I get my licence back I’m going to go on and do my Class 1 and hopefully in the not too distant future get some work!
So good luck to all of you training at the moment and I hope all you prospective trainees have as positive an experience as me :wink: .

MAT:
passed my class C on the first attempt

:smiley: :smiley:

Well done mate, congratulations and good luck with getting work.

Nice to see Data Academy succeeding again :smiley:

Many happy returns on the pass fella!! Has ur smile grown even bigger yet? :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Like urself im just currently looking at doing class 1 and i wish u the best of luck for it when u do it!

Well done MAT :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: it has been a pleasure mate and you worked hard for it…Look forward to seeing you for your class 1…errrr C+E. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mirrors planning awareness mirrors…bugger whats next :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Hey Jon thanks for those kind words hows the new job mate

Data Academy:
Mirrors planning awareness mirrors…bugger whats next

OPEN YOUR EYES :bulb: :question: :wink: :laughing:

ROG:

Data Academy:
Mirrors planning awareness mirrors…bugger whats next

OPEN YOUR EYES :bulb: :question: :wink: :laughing:

Spoil sport!!!