My Training Diary...Now Passed! YAY!

24th July

Hazard Perception Test

Woke up early…an hour two hours before I needed to leave home. Ended up arriving at the test centre 3 minutes before the whole 15mintues prior to test starting thingy.
Anybody else notice the lack of reality between the screen and what you see and how you perception is increased in real life? Anyway…first 7 clips go thru and I’m feeling positive about it until ‘’8 out of 19 clips’’ appears on screen…after this I should have given up on this one. The clips starts, and I’m think ok this is alright until stupid woman steps of curb, quickly I’m clicking and thinking I got a 3 at least on that one. Clips continues and a car pulls out in front which I would (in real life) alter my speed and readjust (and of signal that he has one or maybe two brain cells with my hand). All of a sudden I’m at 8 flags in the corner when this car pulls out from the opposite side of the road cutting into my path. “Dammit…do I click and run the risk of losing anything I got with the first hazard or leave it?’’ So I decided to leave it, surely it’s better to get 3 points than fail by a single point.
The rest of the test goes by quickly and I’m soon ushered out of the room and collecting the piece of paper I had been dreading…at the end of the day I took three attempts with the car theory due to the hazard perception…quickly I scan the first couple of lines, “CONGRATULATIONS…” WOOHOOOOOO!! I’m quite happy now…
I’m quickly on the phone when leaving the test centre phoning family to inform them how i did…and phoning my dear little brother (who is on here somewhere!) that i have actually beaten him so far!! This point just adds to my smile!!
The drive home brings fun…shockingly when someone randomly opens a door in front of you, replicating a click on the steering wheel like you would on a computer mouse, WILL NOT surprisingly slow down your vehicle. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Time to get prepared for the multiple choice part on the 7th August…If there is a God please please let me pass first time!!

7th August

Today see’s me attempt the multiple choice part of the theory…never nice! Growing up i always seemed to ■■■■ at the theory side of everything but excelled at the practical. However i had spent even waking moment since passing the hazard perception reading the highway code and practicsing on the CD, just generally putting in the hours.
I arrived in plently of time and have the same debate with the desk clerk as i had on the HPT, why are the letters being sent to a different address to that which is on my driving licence…GRRRR :imp: once again i explain that we own the house on my licence but currently reside locally. Anyway onwards and upwards. I’m quickly wisked into the exam room and I’m sat in front of my computer. Lets begin…Before you start the exam you may take part in a practice session. These answer DO NOT count towards your mark…Excellent!! Might as well do it just to allow myself an extra bit of time to calm the neves. First question…What colour is grass? Green…Blue…Purple…Pink…Black…Red
Hmmmmm … I’m wanting to say purple, well it is at our house when you try to spray goats or the old horse with gentian violet spray and ultimately missing!! :blush: Once again i detract from my point. Soon I’m quickly under way with the actually real questions. 1 hour 55mins to complete 100 questions…more like 30minutes to complete the 100 questions AND read through them twice! I’m then left sitting weather i have messed up or if there are going to be another 100 questions cos surely i could not have finished so quickly. I decide that after reading through my answers twice that i have done the best that i could have and end the exam. Once again I’m standing back in front of ‘address man’ with a piece of paper that tells me i have passed!! WOOHOOO!!

15th August

Today sees me go for an assessment drive for training with Grants of Cannock. I arrive early and get to meet the main man himself. He quickly notes down my driving licence, and enquires about what I have done so far. He then does his best to scare me off, telling me that we would be going out in a Scania (boohoo!!) hahaha!! :laughing: :wink: He then goes on to tell me about how he had a guy turn up this morning for an assessment drive, get to the truck and notices the bed…’’I can’t drive that’’ says he before he turns away!! This leaves me slightly puzzled and confused but none the less smiling my head off.
The instructor shows me around the truck and gives me a basic overview of what is to be expected with regards to the show-me-tell area and also the daily checks that I would be required to complete…well daily!! He then drives first telling me how to approach certain hazards and how to control the vehicle. This last the whole of a quarter of a mile!! Now it is my turn…ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Now all week I had been trying (trying being the word) to drive to DSA standards…it is actually hard in a car! Got into the seat in the Scania and… it all fits into place!! Mirrors constantly, think I lost the road a couple of times I was more content with checking mirrors!! Gear box…apart from one incident when I forgot the range change and tried to pull away in 7th from standing instead of 3rd, there was no over incidents…ROG — thank you so much for your training tip sticky!! It is absolutely legendry and a must read for anyone deciding to do either their C1 C or C+E!!
Anyway…I unfortunately did mount a kerb…Well Island! Just over steered and up she went! Realised straight away that I should have stayed left and made the most use of my lane, which is a lesson learned!! Couple of other incidents however nothing major and as soon as I did it I realised my mistake straight away which I think is a bonus…obviously the bonus would be not doing it in the first place but that is why they call it mistakes!!
Back to the yard and the major incident then occurs…single carriage way see’s me in 5th where I check mirrors signal and continue to brake…braking…braking…flip the button…down to 3rd …brake…road ahead is fine … check mirrors…blind spot…all clear…check junction…nothing… start to pull in…BRAKESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Stupid fiesta driver had decided to overtake the queue behind me plus me as I was turning!! The only damage caused is to my blood pressure! Now I’m sure that that person at one time or another was a learner!! If you’re in that much of a rush then leave fricking earlier!! Anyway back on the way back up the hill to base I’m told, don’t worry that wasn’t your fault!! Still don’t calm my heart down thou! Have a chat with the instructor who tells me it should be achieved in 5 days and the course can start whenever I want!! I will be honest and spent all morning being so nervous that it was actually scary!! But I’m thankfully that Grant chilled me out and had such a laugh with the banter all the drive that I came back so laid back I was almost horizontal! I had car instructors that either didn’t speak but barked or generally just belittled us all day long! Not with class 2! I loved ever single minute of it!!
I must work on my speed…need to get upto speed but I’m sure that will come with experience and most importantly confidence! I’m happy with my positioning at the minute, although it isn’t the best I’m not a million miles away from where I should be!
I began this journey being fully away that there is no such thing as a guaranteed pass same as thing is never gonna be a guaranteed job at the end of it…but in the words of this forum it is an investment for the future! If a job comes up from it which pays great gives me job satisfaction…IF IF IF Then yeah bonus!!

I now have even higher found respect for those ‘old hand’s’ that have been driving even a day longer than me let another years longer…well all expect my brother…its sibling thing!! :laughing: :laughing:

Oh and SPD0121 you are right…PHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTT is the best noise in the world!! Until next time people!

What an excellent training diary from theory to assessment.

When are you thinking of starting your practical C training :question:

ROG — thank you so much for your training tip sticky!! It is absolutely legendry and a must read for anyone deciding to do either their C1 C or C+E!!

Thank you but credit to where it is due - many members gave major contributions to that thread :smiley:

apologise then…thank you to everyone who contributed to that post! as i say it really is great reading and i felt like i was already once step ahead of the game so to speak before i had even sat in the truck.

Im phoning back tommorow morning and booking a five day course with the idea of starting asap so potentionally starting on Tuesday. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: That only throws up the issue of a Saturday test or Monday test but either way i feel that as long as i put in the effort and time i will hopefully (touches wood) be prepared enough for either day

If you pass the C test before 10 Sept (or you already have C1 on your licence) then you will not have to do THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC :smiley:

debate with the desk clerk as i had on the HPT, why are the letters being sent to a different address to that which is on my driving licence

if i was you mate i would change that to the address you live at now because traffic would have you for dinner etc etc just some advice but other then that good stuff on passing

no need if staying at temporary address but maintaining permanent address.

Problem arise that im a student :cry: :cry: :cry: but on a positive note at 23 years old im a mature student :sunglasses: Either way please dont take that against me :wink:

The address on my licence is for Wales where home is however during the academic year (September to April) i reside with my parents down in the Midlands at a smallholding (they rent whilst i study), however i do return back home (whch is owned) at lest once a fortnight.

Re The CPC…Rog that is the best news ive had so far!! Was having a lovely debate with the instructor about the whole concept of it, which i feel i should keep to myself!

19th August

The Day of Two Halves

This morning see’s me start my 5 days of training leading to assessment (makes it sounds sooo much better than that ‘E’ Word!) on Monday @ 10am!!

The day starts shocking as I leave home and get 2/3 of the way to Cannock, and suddenly it dawns on me that I’ve forgotten my card after been told that I would be required to pay today…FRICK!!! I’m soon racing back home to grab it and shoot back to Cannock (not that I broke any speed records or anything). Start off by meeting Ken who will be my instructor until the assessment on the Monday. He leads off by starting the driving and talking my through the instrument panel, how to approach the hazards on the road, how to use the gear box and switch including block changing etc.
Soon before I know it it’s my turn for my first lesson…arghhh! Again soon I’m about a 45mins in and I’m told ‘’your doing excellent, as well as the other guy who is on his 3rd day…’’ Now this I’m sure is called the kiss of death, simply cos after this I’m forgetting the switch, not using my mirrors when going round corners etc!! All basics and as such basic schoolboy errors! I ask Ken weather we can stop (in a suitable place) for a short breather! He tells me yes and as we aren’t that far away from the reverse pad he would drive up to there allowing me to get my head back into the game! To be honest I know after passing my test I won’t be able to do such a thing like that, however, I’m pleased to regroup my thoughts and get myself by the scruff of the neck and get back on the ball.
We arrive at the reverse pad and he shows me how to do the reverse, what to do during it, basically the in’s-and-out’s of it all. Before long I’m soon in the seat and thankfully nice and slowly I’m there! WOOHOOOO!! Little personal battle won and my confidence, which had taken a battering after the mare of a morning, is growing once again. A couple of more attempts, all of which I’m there bang on, and I’m smiling once again! The braking exercising, which of course is not an emergency stop, is also great to do…if not a little exciting. I actually love both exercises I must admit and blew away the stigma I had about them.
Quickly we are back onto the area of Stafford where the mare started and I’m nailing it… :smiley: :smiley: constant mirror checks, especially when turning see’s me not mount the kerb again. Island work and tightest turns. The gear box suddenly starts to click as well; I’m now giving myself time on the switch, finding the right gear for the road as required. On the way back to base and Ken only mentions a few words ever now and again…I think that’s a good thing? Well hope so anyway!
Quickly we are then on the way back towards base, covering parts of test routes which are a bonus and give me an insight into what’s going to be involved.
The last downside of the day occurs at Worseley Bridge, got in a bit of a muddle when I was trying to get sorted at the top of the hill and unfortunately the vehicle naturally gains momentum down the hill and I’m then trying to do everything last minute…Lesson learnt! Get sorted beforehand and if in doubt slow right down and breathe! Whatever you do don’t rush!!
The main points of the day are…after the first 90mins I’m much better, simply due to giving myself time. Don’t underestimate the usage of mirrors at every single time!! The braking and reverse (for DSA…real life no doubt much harder!) exercises are actually not as bad as their stigma portray them! Braking during general driving is also better and I’m starting to read what is required (gear wise) as the road plays out in front of me.
The main point for me…DON’T LET WHATEVER HAPPENS OUTSIDE OF DRIVING EFFECT WHAT YOU DO ON THE ROAD!! :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :exclamation:

After this morning’s effort I was beginning to think should I really be doing this…But simply after I got my posterior kicked by myself, I’m pleased to say I’m still happy to be doing it!
Now my lessons start at 6am…now I’m hoping someone on here can help the student in me…since when has there been two 6o’clock in the SAME day? I joke of course!

May I also put a quick word in for Markone who I just read passed his test! Many congratulations fella!

you are experiencing the normal first day tribulations nothing to worry about. it will get better then go to [zb]by day 3. but then it all comes together and you are at the test centre and hey presto passed :smiley: .
dont worry take your time and listen to your instructor. :sunglasses:

tonka236:
May I also put a quick word in for Markone who I just read passed his test! Many congratulations fella!

Thanks Mate, hope you do the same :slight_smile:

The reverse exercise for me was the easiest bit! Hardest part was driving around with somebody next to me who didn’t speak at all other than to give instructions, rather like a human sat nav!! I think my nervousness in that respect cost me a few minor marks as I made silly mistakes on things I had no trouble with on my warm up drive this morn.

I would say that is a better than 'normal; first day - well done :smiley:

20th August

What a difference some 20 hours makes.

Now before i start i will openly admit that i did make a couple of errors…however, unlike yesterday i didnt let it eat away at me and i found myself learning from those few errors.
Started off by leaving Hednesford and headed for Wolverhampton via Cannock. No major issues to be honest, and not many at those dreadful islands now in Cannock. I’m actually finding myself approach the islands with plenty of time, slowing nicely on the approach, checking mirrors constantly and allowing more space during these manoeuvres. Tell you what; it’s so simple once you start to apply this attitude of giving yourself time whenever possible!! Probably should have learnt to remember that myself. The rest of the drive into Wolverhampton goes past and now seems like a blur. My first driving fault occurs as we approach wolves. A tight right turn at traffic lights see’s me mount the kerb with one rear tire (however a mount is a mount!) I knew full well as I was steering round that it was going to happen due to me not sticking left as much as possible. It really does ■■■■ when you sense it is going to happen and how to avoid it in the first place. However, nothing hit, just dented pride, a quick deep breath and chalks it up to experience. I’m pleased to say that was the only time I mounted the kerb. I brushed the kerb only once in the reminder of the drive, (simply carried a bit too much speed into an island on a decline).
But I’m pleased after these couple of incidents I’m reading what is happening in front, no more kerbs, keeping the truck going into an island (whereas yesterday I would have stopped and then gone, not today), actually threw in a couple of block changes to get to top gear :sunglasses: :smiley: Overall there’s a party going on in my head, I’m loving the drive and totally love being out on the road getting in some tight turns. When approaching in a car they are fine however it’s in the truck you notice that the kerb for the last 1-2metres cuts into the road. But like I say, today I’m constantly living in mirrors, slowing speed, selecting the correct gear (most of the time) and everything begins to fit.
I’m now beginning to select the correct gear for pulling away both up hill and down.
Soon we are on the way back to home and every goes well until some 3 miles away from base when I’m asked…’turn right at the next island, 3rd exit…’ However, I screw up and get into the left hand lane (of two!) worse thing was on the approach I’m scanning the junction and the instinct was telling me to get into the right hand lane…however I went against it!
Quickly we are back to base and have an extra 30mins to spare as there was no traffic on the roads! So decide on a hill start to end the lesson, seeing as overall I’m quite happy with the way it has gone. No problem what so ever, and I’m actually liking hill starts. I’m happy to leave it where I did (lesson wise), could have continued on to the next roundabout but I’m happy to leave it on a generally good note rather than mess up last minute.

End the lesson when having the usual debrief which is really positive. Ken is happy with the way I have improved since yesterday, even right down to going into 5th and the gear doesn’t engage so being patient not panicking…dip clutch out and in with the gear. Obviously hope for test that doesn’t happen but its nice to know IF it does then I’m not going to panic and I can rectify the situation. Personally, overall, I’m really happy with the day went. I can actually see myself that I’ve progressed a lot since yesterday. Looking back the assessment drive was simple due to the open roads. Now I’m driving nitty gritty roads and I’m pleased with how they are going.
Also I now know that there are actually two 4:30’s in one day…SHOCKING! :open_mouth: !! Also the amount you sweat thru nerves or heat would actually have solved the problem of the Mzima Springs (Wildest Dreams BBC1 last night). Finally Jaffa Cakes, after all these years, are still my friend when it comes to avoiding the hunger! Tomorrow should see me, go Swynnerton test centre and then the routes involved. Also personal little battle…NO KERBS!!
Also just a quick mention for Andrew (if he is on here) who had his test today…hope you passed fella!
Until next time folks…

Going nicely from what I read of your blog.

If asked to turn right at roundabout as you describe and choosing wrong lane then that would depend on what you are now telling other road users and where the road ahead goes to…

If left lane and indicating right then that is a no, no
If not indicating and the road ahead is not restricted (or a dead end !!) and you take that correctly, then nothing can be marked against you - just makes the examiner think about a route deviation to get you back on course :wink:

There is not a place on the marking sheet for ‘trainee took wrong safe & legal route’ - you could just say that you thought the examiner said ‘road ahead’ :wink: :wink: :bulb:

21st August

The Day of the missing lesson

Now let me first admit that I did actuallyt have a lesson today, however, the feeling and mood has changed from what has been around for the past two days. In all honesty it felt more like a double man run than a lesson. I felt in complete control and happy with everything I did.
Drove from Hednesford to Swynnerton and attempted a couple of the test routes, all of which seem pretty easy in all honesty. The mistake I made the previous day of being in the wrong lane due to not reading the road markings, never once appeared. I was choosing the correct lane, correct gear, when to stop, when I could cut my speed to flowing straight into roundabouts etc. Overall, today I bloody loved. I’m now getting so confident I’m block changing at will (naturally as the road and environment allows me) and even that has me smiling from ear to ear.
Called and stopped for a bit to eat at the test centre, and also spent a while hoping to catch my brother (numpty told me wrong time and missed him by 5mins) but alas didnt get to see him, so we decided to do the reverse of the route we had just taken in. Some close corners, which I’m now reading and realising…slow right down, take my time, if it looks close stop, if not when the corner is clear then lets go.
Like I say overall just a lovely drive that felt a million miles away from that shocking morning Wednesday when I let the littlest of faults get under my skin.

Now I no pride comes before a fall so I will be silent until the next post, go have a shower and an early night! Tomorrow is once again test routes (different to what I did today), and for me once again…enjoy it!

Whilst I am here thou I will hopefully pick the brain of someone in the know, chatting to a couple of other instructors…if driving isnt my main occupation (i.e. if I went on to do a postgraduate degree and remain in full time education) I dont need to do either CPC? It was explained to me as one of those ‘legal loopholes’ that seems to be in every legislation when reading the small print.
Personally, I thought it was simple, pass before 10th September 2009 :arrow_right: Ongoing CPC Pass after it :arrow_right: you do the initial driver CPC. Like I say hopefully someone can just put it right with the way I was thinking ideally.
:confused:

you are being to sound like a ‘natural’ - good :smiley:

Pass before 10 Sept - NO initial driver cpc required - just leaves you with the periodic driver cpc for which you have until 10 Sept 2014 to get in those 35 hours of ‘training’

ROG:
you are being to sound like a ‘natural’ - good

shhhhhh its scary… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
seriously thou it was weird, yesterday felt like a lesson but today was more of a ‘‘drive’’ if you get me.

ROG:
Pass before 10 Sept - NO initial driver cpc required - just leaves you with the periodic driver cpc for which you have until 10 Sept 2014 to get in those 35 hours of ‘training’

So i was right in my thinking…Waheyyyy! Think i might print this off and keep on the wall as a pridefull moment. :laughing:

22nd August

The Day of the Kerb.

Numerous times I’ve read on this forum that it normally goes
1st day :arrow_right: learning the ropes
2nd day :arrow_right: learning DSA standards
3rd day :arrow_right: the proverbeal hits the fan
4th day :arrow_right: back to great driving
5th / Test day :arrow_right: everything is bang on

So with this thought I go to the lesson this morning and I’m pleased to say everything goes well… I’m shocked. Those tight turns where I screwed up on Wednesday morning are now so simple. The tight roads see me adopt a posistion in the middle of the road and come back when something larger comes and even stop a few times simply because it appeared extremely tight. Everything goes to plan.
Now the only down side to the day was on the way back. Coming along one of the test routes see’s me brush a kerb on a tight left hand corner…F***!! That really put me in a bad mood about the whole day to be honest. I know that on test I’m looking at a failure even thou everything else on the drive was so good.
Tomorrow we are going from base up to the reverse pad just to run thru that and the controlled stop and then an extended mock test, which will incorparate ‘’THAT’’ corner.
Been thinking on the way home, and I need to change my approach to it. Instead of thinking of ‘going and stopping if required’ I think I need to approach it more as ‘I will have to stop unless I can go’ if that makes sense? Hope it does cos after a while it doesnt in my head LOL LOL.
Time to step up tomorrow and put it right especially on THAT corner. Whats the betting I wont go on that route for test?

Until next time folks…

tonka236:
brush a kerb

Did it rock the truck :question:
Was anyone on the pavement near that kerb :question:
Did it damage the wheel or tyre :question:

If no to all the above then it’s a minor not a serious if just a one off.

tonka236:
Numerous times I’ve read on this forum that it normally goes
1st day :arrow_right: learning the ropes
2nd day :arrow_right: learning DSA standards
3rd day :arrow_right: the proverbeal hits the fan
4th day :arrow_right: back to great driving
5th / Test day :arrow_right: everything is bang on

ROG:
you are being to sound like a ‘natural’

The ‘normal’ 5 day plan does not usually apply to a ‘natural’

ROG:
The ‘normal’ 5 day plan does not usually apply to a ‘natural’

Rog i would never call myself a natural. The biggest thing i have driven before this week was a discovery and trailer, ive spent many an hour lying awake at night trying to get my head around the massive step up to class c. Think playing sport and having to learn calls on the move helped with the quickness required to learn the ropes. :slight_smile: To be honest, im going to go out and do my best on test (hopefully passing) and im then back to my bed to sleep for 24hrs straight. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: