FEEDBACK on LGV TRAINING TIPS & Initial Driver cpc discussed

The LGV TRAINING TIPS (Read only) thread has now reached over 3,000 hits since it was put as a locked sticky in this forum in early April this year.

As it does not allow members to post replies then I have started this thread for the purpose of obtaining any feedback which you may wish to post.

Many members have contributed to the LGV TRAINING TIPS (Read only) thread and I would like to take this opportunity to thank them again for their time and effort in making such a thread possible.

This thread also discusses some of the issues raised by the introduction of the new INITIAL driver CPC.

Hi Rog

there is one thing you could add to the module 4 bit just so there are aware that it my cost up to 300 pounds for the day for that test on top of the normal test monies if you get what i mean (hire of truck and trailer)

have see some PCV schools asking for £280 just for that one part, thought i let you know mate

delboytwo:
Hi Rog

there is one thing you could add to the module 4 bit just so there are aware that it my cost up to 300 pounds for the day for that test on top of the normal test monies if you get what i mean (hire of truck and trailer)

have see some PCV schools asking for £280 just for that one part, thought i let you know mate

I take your point but until we get a rough idea of how much it is actually going to cost then I think speculating would be the incorrect thing to do.

see you point there mate how about a foot note saying there my be extra cost for this part :wink:

it would be interesting to here from the training schools on here if there have worked out the charges for the new cpc :wink: :wink:

I think I did mention that the test centres may be doing the module 4 on the day of the practical module 3 or it may be at a different day - I would be reluctant to expand on that at this stage for the reasons I gave previously above.

The cost for module 4 had been stated and if it is done at the same time as module 3 then there may not be any extra charges from the training school as the trainee has already hired the truck for test.

The cost for the training of module 4 is a different matter and I await to see what, if any, charges are going to be made by training schools for it.

Just got this sorted today.

We propose offering:

90 days access to our training website for module 2 (case studies)
Module 2 test fee
Module 2 arranged for the candidate
4 hours training specifically for Module 4 (practical demonstration test)
Comprehensive handout from training session
Module 4 test fee
Module 4 arranged for the candidate
Use of appropriate vehicle for Module 4 test

Our “normal” tests are on Tuesdays and Thursdays each week and we have a full day of driver cpc module 4 tests booked each week on Wednesdays. I anticipate that candidates will do the module 4 test just before, during just after their driving course.

The proposed charge for all the above is £200 incl test fees and VAT as applicable.

Comments?

:laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
90 days access to our training website for module 2 (case studies)

Hi peter

what would be available in that 90 days or are you compiling that at the mo

the rest looks good to me, wish i had that much help from my school

what would be available in that 90 days or are you compiling that at the mo

the rest looks good to me, wish i had that much help from my school

The “90 days” is the length of time that access is available from the training section of our website. It covers all anyone would need to know about multiple choice, hazard perception and driver cpc case studies. The majority of it is genuine DSA material used under copyright. Depending on whether or not the provisional licence was in place, all the other training can start in that period as well.

I’m glad you think it looks good; it’s always been the aim to “go the extra mile”

Thanks for the kind comment :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I anticipate that candidates will do the module 4 test just before, during just after their driving course

You hope !!
The last I heard it was up to individual test centres as to how they wanted to play this module 4 - some saying it will be with the practical on-road drive and others saying that they will do all mod 4s on a specific day and bring in someone to do them - I don’t think they know how this is going to work yet on a practical level.

You hope !!
The last I heard it was up to individual test centres as to how they wanted to play this module 4 - some saying it will be with the practical on-road drive and others saying that they will do all mod 4s on a specific day and bring in someone to do them - I don’t think they know how this is going to work yet on a practical level.

I KNOW! There’s certain benefits to owning the test centre. What others do is for them to sort out - but I think it will be on similar lines :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

Peter Smythe:
I anticipate that candidates will do the module 4 test just before, during just after their driving course

You hope !!

I was speaking to an examiner at Peterborough test centre and it seems that the DSA are really making a hash of organising tests after 10th September (no surprises there then).

At Peterborough at least there will be no module 4 tests on a Friday. He showed me the programme of test times and they are so complicated I can’t remember the combinations, but from what I could see the beginning of the week seems to be the time to do module 4. There also seemed to be more module 4 (Dcpc) test slots than module 3 (Practical test).

• seems like a sensible plan to me!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: - It might vary between examiners though (it was his programme he showed me, but he is the one full time examiner we have at Peterborough)

I was speaking to an examiner at Peterborough test centre and it seems that the DSA are really making a hash of organising tests after 10th September (no surprises there then).

It’s going to be impossible to get the ratio of driver cpc tests:normal driving tests correct for a while. It’s simply a matter of stabbing in the dark and seeing what happens. As you know, there are vast numbers of drivers that will not need cpc for whatever reason but to calculate what percentage of throughput they represent just can’t be done.

As I said previously, we’ve got one day a week - 8 cpcs - initially. I think (hope) there will be enough flexibility in the system for these to be swapped for driving tests with appropriate time adjustments. It’s only the reverse of what’s been happening with the PSV side since September.

I agree it’ll be all over the place to start with but I’m sure it will fall into a pattern that will suit most people.

Here goes - - getting wet time!!! :laughing: :laughing:

I called the DSA on 0191 201 8112 (ask for Deployment Section) for their take on this module 4 and they said - No idea yet on how we are going to generally fit in the extra half hour for the module 4 bit - great !! - 8 weeks to go and nothing sorted… hmmmm…

I wonder what the percentage of those doing the C courses that require the module 4 will be as opposed to those that already have a C1 on their licence (usually by grandfather rights) that will not need to do it ■■?

In case anyone reading this is contemplating doing their C+E - it will not affect you.

I know this has gone off-topic but I started the thread and I don’t mind :smiley: :smiley:

No idea yet on how we are going to generally fit in the extra half hour for the module 4 bit - great !! - 8 weeks to go and nothing sorted… hmmmm…

Don’t understand that as I understand driver cpc’s are available on the trainer booking system :laughing: :laughing:

No idea yet on how we are going to generally fit in the extra half hour for the module 4 bit - great !! - 8 weeks to go and nothing sorted… hmmmm…

Peter Smythe:
Don’t understand that as I understand driver cpc’s are available on the trainer booking system :laughing: :laughing:

I’ll bet they book a mod 4 and expect the examiner to delay tests following it by 30 mins… if that is the case then examiners will either finish later or cancel the final test of the day !!

ROG:
The cost for the training of module 4 is a different matter and I await to see what, if any, charges are going to be made by training schools for it.

sorry my reply is late on this Rog but have some training schools not been doing module 4 for PCV since sept how are there charging for it now, some one on here must have taken the IDPCV by now

delboytwo:
but have some training schools not been doing module 4 for PCV since sept how are there charging for it now,

Yes, but it is significantly different.
No extra equipment required for the PCV one.

Hi folks, noobi here, hope you are all well.
Any ideas on the questions for module 4 (the examiners have mod 4 marking sheets to fill in, with questions etc) ? Have seen question sheets for PCV, pretty vague-ish to say the least!! I know they (DSA Examiners) have their wee trolley of goodies to wheel out to baffle trainees with, but there’s got to be a format on how/why etc, they ask trainees to put on a ratchet strap etc, on their lovely wee £1700 trolleys!!
Just be nice to know what/how to train from the LGV point of view, and our examiner here isn’t quite as forth coming with info as some are.

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome AlanG66 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
Nice to have another LGV driving instructor join this merry band :smiley:

AlanG66:
Any ideas on the questions for module 4

The DSA have stated that no questions for module 4 will be released.

I am going to start a post on the 10th Sept inviting instructors and trainees to post the questions they were asked on this so that a list can be compiled

DSA TEST FORMATS
The test format for module 4 starts on page 21 (near the bottom)

Thanks for the welcome, and sounds like a mighty fine idea, and i will be more than happy to contibute, cheers the noo!!