One days work.

Done a days work with an agency. Cost 30 quid to get there because of a broken motorcycle! Now I am going to have to declare the 60 quid made to the DSS! Think I might of made a small loss… :cry:

Warren T. Claim:
Done a days work with an agency. Cost 30 quid to get there because of a broken motorcycle! Now I am going to have to declare the 60 quid made to the DSS! Think I might of made a small loss… :cry:

If you just get JSA of £64 PW then they will let you keep £9 of it !!!

earn £60 - the first £5 is not taken into consideration so £55 to take off £64 = £9
£9 less your breakdown = loss of £21 plus fuel = loss of ■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’ve had a similar exp although I’m not on the dole. Did 1 days work (6.5hrs) @£9ph = £58.50 Less tax/ni I got £46.90, fair dos I’m grateful for that. Although I’m not out of pocket I did this in my day and off but had to declare it to my team leader who graciously did some recalcs so that it wouldn’t show up on our system, . My question is, is it worth it risking a full time job to do odd days but at the same time I want experience. So I’m caught between a rock and a hard place. Tomorrow me and a mate are going to do some more ‘knocking on doors’ to see if we can pick up a ‘full time’ job. Miracles do happen, so I’m told.

I found myself in a similar situation.

Luckily I seem to be getting more than one day a weeks at the moment so I have ‘signed off’ the dole, but on a week with just one day’s work I am operating at a loss.

The rules for JSA are years old and actually seem to deter folk from working at times. It would cost me £10 to get to work in Leicester for a day, so I would actually lose £5 by working. It seems wrong to me.

Your best bet is to really pester the agencies and try to get a couple of extra days out of them.

I know I’m cutting a loss but I need to appear reliable to the agency as they have never used me before. If I forgot to declare the days work what is the likley outcome? How long would it take the DSS to find out?

Thought I’d post this link about a few jobs UK wide. They do take on new drivers, I used to work for them (agency)
3663.co.uk/vacancies/current … sport.html

Warren T. Claim:
How long would it take the DSS to find out?

Depends if the DWP computers ‘speak’ to each other and if so, when…

I used to work for myself and usually you have to file returns to DHSS etc every 3 months. Thats when your NI number might flag up, but as they are in such a mess it might be months before its spotted so by then you should have something and be on the level.