shunt button

was just wondering about the shunt button, it was never really covered in my training so what’s it’s purpose? what happens when you push it? tar

tramp:
was just wondering about the shunt button, it was never really covered in my training so what’s it’s purpose? what happens when you push it? tar

hi mate

when i move trailers around the yard i would push the shunt button saved me putting the air lines on, have noticed that if there do get use the tend not to work, but it mainly for shunting around in the yard

If there are airlines attached then the button wont stay in, it’ll just pop back out.

Hook up to trailer and MAKE SURE the handbrake is on! Walk to brake control, release trailer brake then push shunt. You should hear the brakes come off and might also hear a loud woosh of air. If the trailer is loaded you might get a jolt from it too. If you forget to put the handbrake on then it’s bye bye truck as it’ll roll away if it’s on a hill and if that does happen and you go for the trailer brake it’ll take a wee moment that feels like a lifetime for it to stop.

If shunt is pushed in and you connect air lines then the button will automatically pop back out.

Never ever press the shunt button and release the trl brake if the trailer isn’t hooked up to anything.

One more thing, if the trailer has been left stood for a while and most of the air has escaped then the brakes might only part release. Remember you need air to take brakes off, not put them on

:smiley:

Now you have an idea of have to use it from the previous post - DON’T! Use the correct procedure you have been trained on and connect the lines always. :neutral_face:

I use the shunt button for manouveres in a tight spot where the airlines would be full stretched and likely to rip off.
We have a couple of customers where space is very limited, and in order to turn around to back in the bay means a complete 180 turn. With the airlines left on would mean a session with the toolbox :open_mouth: , so its easier quicker and a ■■■■ site cheaper to use the shunt button.

One of our more ‘experienced drivers’ got his lines hooked up on the front handles of the trailer (it was a slider, where the releases for the canopy are ‘wheels’ on the headboard). But insteasd of getting out to check as he straightend up, he carried on and the line finally gave up in the middle lane of the M40.
So instead of using the shunt button to get onto the hard shoulder, he sat in the middle lane for 90 minutes, until a fitter arrived. :open_mouth:
Pure Muppetry :unamused: :unamused:

so the shunt button enables you to move the trailer without the suzies in? then how do you brake?

Just the unit does the braking. Very dangerous if you go any faster than shunting round a depot type speeds. If the trailer is loaded and you’re doing any kind of speed and slam on the brakes then you’ll probably jack knife.

Steve-o:
Just the unit does the braking. Very dangerous if you go any faster than shunting round a depot type speeds. If the trailer is loaded and you’re doing any kind of speed and slam on the brakes then you’ll probably jack knife.

bloody ell i dont like the sound of that. ok thankyou for enlightening me

No problem. Use it for when you need to really screw round to save your suzies from being snapped. Just pull up, disconnect all of them and hit shunt, do your maneauver then re attach them all. The first time you shunt a fully loaded trailer you’ll be amazed at how hard it is to stop from even like 5 mph. You really have to give the brake pedal a bit of a boot for it to be effective. if you took it out on the road and done say 30, you’d probably burn your brakes out trying to stop.

Another tip:

If you fancy trying out a bit of split coupling, always make sure the trailer brake is on. You will no doubt find that a lot of the trailers you hook on to will not have the brake pulled on. This is just lazyness. The trailer brake stayes on when you pull the lines off even if the brake button is in the off position BUT if you split couple by reversing under the trailer a bit, climb on the catwalk and plug in the lines, with that brake button pushed in, then expect the trailer to move when you jump back in the unit and take the handbrake off to complete your split couple.

Crazy all this brake talk :laughing:

Also make sure … before you uncouple trailer to pull shunt button out (and use park brake)

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

(as trailer rolled off fith wheel and went thump on landing legs, luckily only 2 inches and flat surface)

edit as below lol

Don’t you mean pull shunt out :wink:

also shunt button is usefull at some sites where split coupling is disallowed (ie B&Q) and you have a hire unit and hire fridge.
1 hitch up to trailer… tug test
2 hand brake on… legs up… use shunt button
3 drive and get angle on trailer and unit
4 hand brake on… park brake on shunt button off
5 connect air lines and suzzies
6 park brake off

also shunt button is usefull at some sites where split coupling is disallowed (ie B&Q) and you have a hire unit and hire fridge.
1 hitch up to trailer… tug test
2 hand brake on… legs up… use shunt button
3 drive and get angle on trailer and unit
4 hand brake on… park brake on shunt button off
5 connect air lines and suzzies
6 park brake off
[/quote]
Now that is some very useful advice beats squeezing in and getting covered in grease from suzies… Thanks andy :smiley: :smiley:

Just remember that no matter HOW HARD you try…you’ll always end up with a massive blob of black grease all over your leg :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

i’ve been to yards where they don’t have shunter wagons so when they are loading the trailer they use the loaders to move the trailer round to pick the stuff they need.

Do they use a dolly? Nope, just pick it up with the tips of the tynes and oik it round :confused: