Tunnel Radio Broadcasts

I have just been reading my LGV Drving Manual, and it stated that on the approach to Tunnels, there can be a sign stating a radio Frequency that you can tune to to receive Radio broadcasts of problems etc in or around the tunnel.

I have been through Dartford, Blackwall, and numerous other tunnels, but never seen anything like this.

Has anyone ever seen them??, or even tuned in and heard them??

BTW, this is on page 96 of the Driving Goods Vehicles - The official DSA syllabus

Cheers
AndyM

Hi Andy,Ive seen them on a number of tunnels,here and abroad but never tuned in,I always thaught ,what egit wants to listen to the hit parade when there’s a great-big tunel ahead.Having now read, said book, I can,t wait to tune in next time,just to impress the misses,regards Jamie.

well,. as I aint a driver yet., I no doubt wil get to see them when I am, but I was just wondering if it sounded anything like the Shipping Broadcast that Radio 4 dish out…LOL… boring, monotonus, etc… But at the same time, life-saving and very much needed…

This is purly out of curiosity… Mmmm, and we all know what happened to that cat…

radioauthority.org.uk/newsro … /pr134.htm

now off air

Most major tunnels over the water have signs at the entrance stating the frequency you can tune to in case of problems within the tunnel and you will be advised, for instance, of the duration of any delay while transiting through. These announcements will also be in several languages.

You will also find that you can still receive a signal on your mobile phone for the full length of the tunnels as well, 18 km in the case of the St Gotthard in Switzerland.

in france …radiofrance.fr/services/inforoute/radios/

in the uk and germany just hit the ta button travel annoucements will interupt the fm broadcast (rds)

radio 2 has good bulletins so does radio 5