speed limit

am i right in thinking the speed limit for an artic is 50 on a dual carriageway and motorway under national speed limit restriction? I ask because i follow some drivers doing 55-60, i always understood your speed is recorded on the tachograph, or am i wrong? :confused:

Matt.

50 on a dual cariage way, 60 on motorway, although they are limited to 56mph.
I will quite happily sit at 56 on a dual cariage way or even a decent A road.
It depends on road conditions and traffic etc.
And yes the speed is recorded on your tacho, but they have no way of knowing what roads you were using.
However, drivers have been prosected when there tachos have shown 56mph almost imediately, and all the roads near there yard have been single cariage way so the limit is 40mph.

While you are correct in saying the limit is 50 on a dual carraigeway it is 60 on a motorway, although the majority of trucks are limited to 56 mph so won’t be able to do 60, unless it’s downhill. Yes the speed is recorded on the tachograph

Snap Gurner, I must have been typing my reply as you posted yours. :smiley:

And its 40 :open_mouth: on a single track :frowning: . I only put this in so that you can slow down to the appropriate speed when you are flashed by an approaching truck, to warn you of a speedtrap :laughing: :sunglasses: .

Many of the speed cameras on the A1 between Edinburgh and Newcastle have weight sensors in the road now, so will catch you, if you are speeding, which of course you won’t be now :smiling_imp: that you know.

cheers for that guys, i have wondered for a while. Why would u limit a truck to 56 when u can do 60? Safety reasons?

the silent one:
cheers for that guys, i have wondered for a while. Why would u limit a truck to 56 when u can do 60? Safety reasons?

No, Political reasons.

UK speed limits are set by the UK Government.

Regulations regarding speed limiters are set by the EC, specifically 85kph +/- 5%.

Perhaps another example of why UKIP did so well in the elections.

:laughing: they certainly got my vote.

the silent one:
:lol: they certainly got my vote.

and mine… mostly on one specific transport related issue:

namely, that they say they will dig up all these b silly build-outs & other traffic calming measures in towns.

i.e. all those things trhat are making LESS room for traffic, just at a time when there is MORE of it!!!

However, i’m a little sceptical & believe that seeing is believing :unamused: