Practical Reversing Exercise

After passing my class 1 the driving school rang me up and
said i had paid for an afternoon that i had,nt had.
Decided to go out with instructor today and do some
more reversing.
Did reverse into side road from main road ( on
drivers side ).
As most reversing into loading bays will be like
this (hopefully) i felt the afternoon was of real
benefit.
as i am out for real on saturday.
But it got me thinking how much benefit is
the reversing exercise in the test to everyday
situations.

Well since I passed my test in '87 I have done that exact reverse, hang on let me add this up…nearly there…just double checking my figures… yep got it…

Zero times.

The reverse exercise on the test is more to do with learning how the trailer reacts to your input and tries to get you to get it going where you need it to rather than replicate a “real life” situation so it is valuable from that point of view.

I had just this conversation with a chap I trained with this week, and the answer is NEVER and if you line yourself up that way after you are qualified I would recomend that you seek some experienced help.
That’s it though! the test reverse is a set exercise but once qualified you learn to look at the available space and use your own strengths(yes Margate you will get some) and the restrictions of your own vehicle and take your own line.
But IMHO the test line leaves too many blind spots and too much guesstermation for my liking.

[would say practicing as much as you can if you where to do supermarket deliverers (shops) most are in a every confined space just take you time and you will get there in the end been driving a long time and I still muck it up