Training begins Or; How to become humble in one easy lesson!

First things first. To all the full time and long time truckers out there; Total and utter respect!!

I am not one of those that ever thought truckers are dumb. I knew enough to know that it was not as easy as y’all generally make it look. I have also generally tried to accord them respect and consideration on the road; although I am sure that I have also probably been guilty of not doing the right thing every time.

But oh my God!! I was not fully aware of, nor prepared for, the appallingly low level of driving ability and lack of judgement shown by the majority of the ‘great unwashed’!! I suppose that, given the manoeuvreability of the modern car, I have learned to compensate almost automatically and to drive defensively, without a great deal of forethought.

So; I hereby offer a heartfelt apology to any and all lorry drivers that I may have aggravated in the past!! Mea culpa!

With all that said, I thought you might like a short diary of the days events. So; bear with me if you would.

Day 1 (Yesterday 29/08/08)

So excited about finally starting that I can’t get to sleep before 3:00 a.m. Finally nod off and am rudely awoken by the alarm at 5:00. My lesson is not due to start 'til 8:00 but it’s a 53 mile drive and I want to be awake in plenty of time for a shower and some coffee before I leave at 6:30. Shower done, coffee made and drunk, check watch - 05:25. ■■■■!! 2 more cups; check watch 05:45! Attempt to finish crossword from the day before; after five minutes the only words that come to mind are lorry, mirror, signal and manoeuvre! Give it up as a bad job, jump in the car and off I go (I hate to be late anyway, so probably a good thing).

Arrive at the training yard, check watch, 07:05. Oh well…Spend 45 mins peering at the lorries with nose through the chainlink fence. No I did not drool… well, not much anyway.

Instructor arrives at 07;50 and I meet up with my co-trainee. We sort out some paper work, cough up some dough and finally we are out and being shown the ‘preflight checks’. At last, real ‘lorry driver stuff’ !!

Magic words…“You’re first”. I’m in like a flash…door shut, seatbelts on, check mirror adjustment, handbrake on, neutral, range switch - down, ready to crank…“oh er, ummm…could I have the keys please?” Big grin from instructor and co-trainee.

Off we go, 1/2 mile up the road to the disused airfield for the reversing and stop manoeuvres. Brilliant use of mirrors, signals, swinging wide enough to miss all gate posts, no kerb strikes, mirrors, gear shifts, mirrors, range switch, mirrors, brakes, mirrors, speed control, mirrors, more mirrors. Gentle reminder from instructor - “it might be a good idea to look ahead, once in a while!” - :blush: Oh yeahhhh…

Anyway; all goes fantastically well during the manoeuvres bit. “Do it just like that on the day and no sweat. In fact, almost perfect!”, says Roger. My co-trainee, Michael also does very well, especially considering that he is young, only has a B licence and has never even been in anything bigger than his car! “Well done guys, lets head to town”, says Roger. Chest swelling; I can feel myself begin to adopt the ‘lorry drivers strut’ (which, thinking about it, is an awful lot like the ‘Pilot’s strut’ - only in comfortable clothes!).

So off to Norwich we head. Everything goes perfectly…for about 3 minutes…then, OH MY GOD!!

Where did that ******* car come from?.. What the **** is he doing?.. Move over you *******? …Speed limit sign? Where? I didn’t even see the lamppost!..Oooooh that ******** range switch!!! … What do you mean third exit? I’m sure you said first!!.. Since when did pedestrians become so suicidal??..etc, etc, etc!!

Obviously I am exaggerating slightly, but I kid you not, I felt like I needed three sets of eyes and four arms! What happened to pedestrians using “Look right, look left and look right again”■■ Now, it seems like they walk straight out and only look up if the screech from the tyres is loud enough for them to hear it over their damned I-Pods!! Good grief!

Cyclists - don’t even get me started! LOL

By the end of my second drive (we switch every hour or so) I was ready to quit and forget about it. Fortunately, Roger is a really, really good bloke and after a ‘■■■ and coffee break’ (3 ■■■■ if I’m being honest, LOL) along with a bit of a ‘pep talk’ and a reminder that “You must control the vehicle and situation. Don’t let it or them control you!”; we set off again. I have to say that things definitely improved.

By the time we arrive back at the yard, I am beginning to see a glimmer of hope.

Surprisingly to me; when we are handed our training sheets, I had been given 8’s for most things, one 6, a few 7’s and even one 9. I was told that I had done at least as well as would be expected from a ‘newbie’ and better than expected on some things! I was also told that I am my own harshest critic. To be honest, I already knew this. During my entire flying career, I never got less than 100% on any written test and I never failed a check ride; not once! I expect perfection from myself; which can often lead to disappointment. I just wish I could relax a bit! :unamused:

Roger had told us that by the end of the day we would be very tired. Oh boy; was he ever right! I got home at about 6:30 p.m. ate dinner, had a shower and went straight to bed. I would love to tell y’all that I slept really well, but I really don’t know 'coz I was unconscious at the time!!

All in all, I actually enjoyed it, even if at the time it felt a bit like a ‘baptism by fire’.
In many ways, it reminds me of my early flying lessons; loads of new info coming at you thick and fast. The biggest single difference is that ‘up there’ you don’t normally have to worry about other traffic nearly as much and there are definitely no suicidal pedestrians!!

More about todays (Tuesday) training later; if y’all are interested. Let me know…

Cheers,

Simon

P.S. Apologies for rambling on and many thanks for reading this ‘short’ note’!!

I enjoyed reading that Simon :smiley: - keep 'em coming :slight_smile:

I do feel sorry for you though - having an instructor called ROGER :exclamation: :exclamation:

that brings so many memories flooding back! not a good feeling then but it is when you pass. you sound as if you are enjoying it and having a good day makes it all that much easier.

keep smiling and if you hit a pedestrian at least it stops them stepping out again! :laughing:

take it easy and keep up the humour, excellent read

Was an interesting read and yes they change you approx every hr as that is how long the test is

Dont worry about being a lot to take in you will get there trust me as it will all come together later in week

How many days have you and when is your test or should I not ask

Great read, I can relate to all of it, well most anyway :wink:

Just out of curiosity, why would an RAF Pilot want to be a ‘Trucker’?

Good read, hope you enjoy the rest and pass.

animal:
How many days have you and when is your test or should I not ask

Hopefully, the test wil be Friday. Roger won’t tell us exactly when they are scheduled as he says it would, “Just add to the pressure”. :unamused:

Personally, I think he just wants to add to the suspense!!

LOL

As to ‘Why would an RAF pilot want to be a trucker?’…

I never was in the RAF, I actually got my hands dirty and learned it all on civvie street!!! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL

The Airline I was flying for in the US went ‘belly up’ thanks to Mr. Bush’s 'little ‘ole war’ and the subsequent doubling in the cost of jet fuel almost overnight.

Came home to spend some time with my family as my Bro. was diagnosed with MS and my Mum and Dad are getting on a bit. Thought about converting my Licences to UK from US, but the bureaucracy and money involved is staggering!!

Always liked the look of the ‘big rigs’, started driving a little 'un (7.5 tonner) and got hooked! Thought I would give it a go; so here I is!!

Thanks for all the kind words. Really enjoying the training so far.

Will post about today’s training when I get in tomorrow (assuming I’m not suicidal myself by then!! LOL). Knackered and off to bed now.

Cheers,

Simon

ROG:
I enjoyed reading that Simon :smiley: - keep 'em coming :slight_smile:

I do feel sorry for you though - having an instructor called ROGER :exclamation: :exclamation:

I thought all the best instructors were named ‘Roger’!! :wink:

LOL

Well you had me fooled,
Downham Market = RAF Marham.
Your Sig made me think of the RAF.
Pilot = RAF Marham.
Hehehehe never ■■■ume :blush: :blush:

sorry to hear about your Brother. :cry:

Good luck with the rest of your training. :wink:

Cheers mate! :smiley:

Just to say today was a whole lot better!!

Really am off to bed now!

As they say, “You can’t expect to soar with the eagles in the morning if you hoot with owls all night!!”

Night all. Reckon’ I’ll dream about MSM!!

Brilliant!!! - probably one of the best threads i have read on here in a long time mate! I passed class c 16th of august so,when u pass can i suggest that you get someone to let you loose in the middle of london with either an18 or 27 tonner its such a larf!! Honest!!!

Cmon then, we’re all waiting :wink:

Great read, hope it got easier today.

jonah65:
Cmon then, we’re all waiting :wink:

Great read, hope it got easier today.

I reckon he’s too knackered to post a blog about training today :slight_smile:

Have a good nights sleep spd0121… ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Right then…Humble Pie Day No.2 or: humility starts to taste pretty good!

To go along with my newfound ‘truckers walk’, I try to find my Stetson, Checked shirt, Lizard skin boots and sleevless puffa vest (Already got the RayBans on my person)…Realise I’m in ‘Blighty’ not Tennessee so, opt for jeans, polo shirt, workboots and my Hi-Viz…Off we go.

Arrive good and early again and spend 45 mins rehearsing ‘nightmare’ scenarios in my mind whilst slurping extra-strong coffee!!

Roger and Michael arrive…‘preflight complete’ and off to the airfield we go with Michael being ‘first up’ this morning. Reversing and sudden stop procedures once again almost perfect from both of us!! Well…if you discount the one minor ‘brain ■■■■’ where I started to pull forward from the initial set of cones, instead of backing up that is!! DOH!! Mind you, at least it was preceded by a perfect left mirror, right mirror, blindspot check…pull away…oops!! Only went about 12", so rather than panic and get flustered, I immediately forgave myself (I’m good at that according to SWMBO) and concentrated on making the rest almost inch and letter perfect!!

So far so good. Off to Suicide Gulch (hereinafter referred to as Norwich). Michael has a good first drive, no kerbs, no sudden evasive manouevres from oblivious oncoming drivers, good gearbox control, speed control etc. Biggest ‘gig’ was ‘need to use the mirrors more’. Overall, Roger is chuffed and I realise that sitting in the passenger seat, I am beginning to see things ahead of time - cool! (In aviation, we would say 'getting ahead of the aircraft LOL).

My turn…Oh Lord, here we go again…but, hold on a minute, what’s this? I realise that I am much more comfortable; seeing things that I had missed the day before and actually managing to ‘plan ahead’ a little! No worries with the gearbox, not even the range switch! Finally i am seeing more than just the suicidal pedestrians. I am even beginning to actually realise where I am in town and noticing lots of incidental stuff…look at her - nice ti…oh, ermmm, well, never mind. :blush: Anyway, after the first hour I am well chuffed and think I might actually learn to hack this after all.

Michael has another go; couple of minor niggles and one major gear change fluff. Not too bad at all. I was pretty relaxed when I was startled from my passenger seat reverie by Roger suddenly screaming, "WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOIN’ YOU W*****!! WHERE THE **** DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING?? I think to myself, "That’s a bit harsh! Don’t really need to talk to Mike that way!'…Only to realise that he is ‘talking’ to a Mondeo driver that has squeezed down the right side of the lorry at a junction where there is only one lane! Still; does he need to shout that loud?? LOL

My turn again and again, no major worries! Only one major concern, when Roger’s idea of ‘straight ahead at the next roundabout driver’ turned out to be not quite the same as mine. :open_mouth: It was one of those with about 6 exits all slightly offset from ‘normal’. …“Understandable mistake”, says Rog, “I should have been clearer with my instuction”. Cool!..Besides I rather enjoyed tooling around the little industrial estate!! LOL To be honest, I did wonder at the time why he wanted to go in there, but figured that there might be a ‘tricky little turn’ or something. LOL Oh, and there was! In fact, more than one. :blush:

Anyway; after a real ‘truckers lunch’ at a roadside van… in a real layby, hangin’ out with real ‘truckers’ :laughing: ,…two more sessions each. Overall things semm to be getting a lot easier and sitting watching somebody else Fu… ermmm… i mean mess up - really helps things sink in!

Back at the yard…debrief…“Well done lads. Comin’ together nicely. Good one today!”… 8’s, 9’s and wahay!, even a couple of 10’s on the training sheet! Chuffed or what!!

Drive home pretending to be in a 44 Tonner…(Red Scania with all the bling if you must know)…playing, “what would I do if” type games. Realise that folks don’t take nearly as much notice of my ‘signal and step out’ manouevre in my Citroen as they do when I do it in the truck!! LOL Ba****ds!!

Get home, happy as Larry! After a couple of hours, I realise that my Fiancee, Ruth has that glazed expression on her face. :open_mouth: “Am I boring you?”, I ask. “Weeeell, maybe just a teensy bit”, she diplomatically replies.

So then I got on here and started typing…

Another great post, thanks. :smiley:
Sounds like you are enjoying the training. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

yet again a brilliant read!

glad youre enjoying it.

just keep going mate, you sound if you are doing well

cant wait for tomorrows installment :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Was gonna post todays, but too knackered to do so right now. Plus, to be honest, I need a while to marshall my thoughts.

Having taught approx. 200 people to fly, I am well acquainted with the ‘learning plateau’ phenomenon. But to be quite frank, today, I dived off the high board, plummeted straight through the plateau (Do not collect £200) and crashed nose first in a heap at the base of the mountain!! FFS!!

In a perverse way, I still enjoyed it, but if yesterday I got to start liking the taste of humble pie, then today I choked on it.

‘Truckers strut’ - don’t make me laugh. More like ‘Ballerina Mince’!! LOL

Maybe tomorrow I should wear this:

LOL

Oh well, tomorrow’s another day! Thank God!

More tomorrow. Need some zzzzzzzz’s now.

Night all

Another great blog spd0121
Just one question - do you find it had to drive in that pink outfit :question:

Great read and brings back a lot of memories which are not too distant.

Keep it going!

Stu’:D’‘:D’

teatree:
Great read and brings back a lot of memories which are not too distant.

WHAT :exclamation: :exclamation: - did you have a pink outfit as well :question: :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: