Criminal Damage :(

Hi Folks

Was delivering a secured (and expensive) CCTV unit yesterday to a site in Birmingham. The previous camera had been stolen, and it’s suspected because it was too close to the roof! Left the truck and dropped item off. Quite a few of the locals didn’t like the fact this CCTV was here, despite it being merely a one-shot camera watching some gates.

Alas a pair of teenagers decided to do something about it and put a brick through the windscreen of the truck. At first I thought it was just a crack, but getting a better look later found it had punched a hole in the top of the screen and cracks all across it. Luckily they (the hooligans) seemed a bit thick on the location so I was able to see enough to drive it back to base. The damage was mostly on the passenger side, but it doesn’t matter! That’s a £200 replacement that has the truck off the road until it is fixed :frowning: The company engineer was not in a good mood after I told him, but lightened up to the fact I had a crime number and it wasn’t my fault!

The guy I was delivering too had seen it and informed his boss. Rang the police and they took breif statement over the phone, reckon they’ll send out forms for a full statement later.

I know my memory is a bit patchy so I’ve done the company report in a similar way to an offical looking statement with all the information and facts, so it can be added to the file for this incident. The security people onsite did not want me taking photos of the kids that did it as I could be labled various undesirable titles! Oh great! They are the ones that did it!!!

Still, they’re on CCTV, they had to cycle past 3 cameras to get out, and the guy I was delivering too was able to notify the security office to sort the tapes out for the police before the police were even able to get back to me.

At the end of the day it’s a nuicance, and more expense. Still, I’ve got all the details including descriptions and crime number. Hmm. Still, nice short shift tomorrow lunchtime then off for the afternoon…

I tried posting this last night but it failed. Today’s job was “wrong”. I was hours too early and had a long day there :frowning: To cap it all when I went to get my truck in the morning I found they had locked the keys in the office, the office manager would not be in until 8am and this was 6am and he wouldn’t answer his phone. As it was I managed to get another truck that wasnt being used, it was just fithly ;( It’s called using your own initiative and some bosses don’t like that! Strange