A common weekend driving assumption by some newbies

What a daft rule that is.

Basically totally ruins any plans I had of bolstering my income by doing a couple agency shifts a week on top of the 25 hours I do currently split over 5 days. Instead I can now only do 1 shift every 2 weeks. And I never get a 45 hour rest period. As I work mon-thurs and sat. Or can that 45 hours rest be split over different days?

madmossy:
What a daft rule that is.

Basically totally ruins any plans I had of bolstering my income by doing a couple agency shifts a week on top of the 25 hours I do currently split over 5 days. Instead I can now only do 1 shift every 2 weeks. And I never get a 45 hour rest period. As I work mon-thurs and sat. Or can that 45 hours rest be split over different days?

Cannot be split

Are those 5 shifts always the same start and finish times and what times would they be ?

All 5 shifts are 2-10pm occasionally finishing as early as 8pm.

FlyDrive:
I have been filling in a Weekly Record Sheet as described in Annex 3 of GV262 to record weekday work when doing the weekend driving thing.

Does this sound OK or should I be filling in Tacho discs instead?

It depends which Vosa officer stops you.

Some will accept a weekly record in a log book / diary.

Others will be ■■■■ and only accept tacho charts.

I can’t find it now but Jennie’s post about it confirms she was ok to keep log book / diary as EU driving was not her primary activity.

madmossy:

Thats 40 hours … I thought you said you do 25 hours ove 5 shifts ?

I’ve just realised. This thread was started 4 and a half years ago.

Still not a record :wink:

ROG:

madmossy:

I’m only contracted for 25 hours, rest is over time. Either way because of these daft rules I’d have to quit my job to do the LGV stuff which is a risk I cant take without a concrete job offer. The issue comes from never having 2 days off in a row which means I won’t even be able to do 1 day a fortnight of LGV work while with my current employer.

madmossy:

ROG:

madmossy:

I’m only contracted for 25 hours, rest is over time. Either way because of these daft rules I’d have to quit my job to do the LGV stuff which is a risk I cant take without a concrete job offer. The issue comes from never having 2 days off in a row which means I won’t even be able to do 1 day a fortnight of LGV work while with my current employer.

Is this regular job driving ?

ROG:

madmossy:

ROG:

madmossy:

Is this regular job driving ?

Yeah, drive a mercedes sprinter although being multi drop work I stop a lot on each route, usually 15-20 times for 5-10 minutes each stop.

Yesterday I did 6 hours 12 minutes for my shift, left depot at 15:40, got back to the depot at 20:56, did 15 deliveries with an average of 7 minutes stop time for each one.

5 hours 14 minutes on the road, 1 hour 45 minutes stationary or “other work” so, driving time was only 3 hours 29 minutes.

Are you required to keep domestic driving record sheets for that job ?

Nope, no records are kept at all. At least not by me other to ensure I get paid correctly for the work i’ve done.

madmossy:
Nope, no records are kept at all. At least not by me other to ensure I get paid correctly for the work i’ve done.

Then you could still do one day of LGV driving every other week because no records will be needed for the week in which you did not EU regs driving

That’s better than nothing at least, just means it will take twice as long to get the money saved for the CAT C&E :slight_smile:

madmossy:
That’s better than nothing at least, just means it will take twice as long to get the money saved for the CAT C&E :slight_smile:

Could do 2 out of 3 … viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93127&start=30#p1338099

Now that’s just confusing me even more lol

Surely my main job would count as “other work” which means I would never get a full 45 hour rest period in a week.

madmossy:
Now that’s just confusing me even more lol

Surely my main job would count as “other work” which means I would never get a full 45 hour rest period in a week.

You are not required to produce records for the EU regs in any fixed week in which no eu regs driving was done
Where no records are produced the authorities will assume that time is rest

Any weekly rest that uses sunday midnight can be deemed as a weekly rest for the week before or the week starting

If the non records week spans both sunday midnights at each end then there are two weekly rests that can be used as two regular/full weekly rests for the EU driving weeks before and after it

Thinking more … I reckon you could do 3 out of 4 …

WEEK 1 - no eu regs driving so no records needed but spans sunday midnights at each end
WEEK 2 - eu regs driven but uses the end of week 1 into week 2 as a regular/full weekly rest for week 2
WEEK 3 - eu regs driven but has one day off used as a reduced weekly rest for week 3
WEEK 4 - eu regs driven and uses the start of week 1 as the regular/full weekly rest for week 4

The driver would have to make sure that no more than 144 hours (6 x 24 hour periods) were done between weekly rests

Looking at your shift pattern I reckon you could drive under eu regs every fri in weeks 2 3 4

I reckon the only way you could get into any sort of legal problem is if the authorites decided to contact your regular employer but a VOSA officer who deals with this sort of thing that I spoke to some time ago stated that they do not generally bother because it takes too much time and effort especially when the records produced say all is ok at the roadside

IT WOULD BE TAKING A LEGAL RISK IN A GREY AREA

A common assumption by a lot of those entering the LGV industry is that they can do driving all weekend (or on their days off) to gain experience if they have a Monday to Friday job that does not come under EU regs.

If someone has a Monday to Friday job then they will only, in most circumstances, be able to drive under EU regs for one shift every other weekend in order to conform to the weekly rest periods.

Few rules when doing two jobs and one of them comes under EU regs -
A ‘week’ is mon 0000 to sun 2400
You must have a 45 hour unbroken rest in every other week
You must have a 24 hour unbroken rest in every week
In any week where you come under EU regs your work in the other job must be recorded
That other work can be recorded on a digi tacho, written on seperate digi printouts or on seperate analogue charts - one for each day worked
Each recorded work day must contain your name, date, start & finish time.
You do not need to record anything if you do not come under EU regs in that week
All this is so that the authorities can check that you have had the correct weekly rest for the EU regs

The WEEKLY REST PERIODS are the key factor in determining whether you can drive on any days off from the regular job.
The DAILY REST PERIODS must also be taken into consideration.

None of the above is included in the present theory and I believe should be to prevent breaches of the EU regs/law.

The forthcoming INITIAL LGV driver CPC does not seem to address this issue either as there does not seem to be a compulsory section on these type of regulations. Perhaps there should be …

More information on LGV drivers hours etc can be found by clicking this SAFETY, LAW AND WORKING TIME DIRECTIVE FORUM (INTERACTIVE) link.

ROG:
None of the above is included in the present theory and I believe should be to prevent breaches of the EU regs/law.

I believe it is ROG, or it certainly was when I did my theory test mid last-year.
Just looked through the interactive DVD I have “The Official DSA Guide to LGV/PCV Theory” and its on there too.

So it SHOULD really still be covered shouldn’t it? I haven’t heard of them taking anything out before!
:astonished: :wink:

Alex

Scarab:

ROG:

I believe it is ROG, or it certainly was when I did my theory test mid last-year.
Just looked through the interactive DVD I have “The Official DSA Guide to LGV/PCV Theory” and its on there too.

So it SHOULD really still be covered shouldn’t it? I haven’t heard of them taking anything out before!
:astonished: :wink:

Alex

I’ve looked through my copy and cannot find the bit about having 2 jobs :blush: :blush: :blush: - what page is it on :question:

EDIT - i’ve just checked pages 53 to 79 again in the ‘drivers hours & rest periods’ section of the ‘Official DSA THEORY test book for drivers of large vehicles’ and still cannot find it :confused:

ROG:

I know this has cropped up quite a few times on here but how common is it really? To be fair the theory syllabus can’t cover every scenario :slight_smile: