Sods law!

This is for all you new class one holders. Sods law says that when you have just passed your test and you are now in your first job, up the road on your jack jones, you get to a tip and the place you have got to back into is the tightest slot you’ve ever seen(and probably will ever see), it will intimidate you just looking at it, let alone attempting to back in, but as you have no choice you give it your best shot, and suprise!, suprise!, you backed it in no problem, even doing it in one go, just like a pro with years of experience, so you climb out of the truck as proud as punch hoping someone saw you and were totaly impressed with your exceptional skills and proffessionalism. Guess what? there will be no-one there, no-one to witness the remarkable feat you have just acomplished, you wish someone saw it, but alas you are the only witness :cry:

Next day, at your next tip, you will pull in to the RDC or wherever, loads of drivers standing around, all of them looking at you as you pull in (as they do with any driver), the slot you have been given is the easiest one to back into, no problem thinks you, after yesterday you can tackle any backing in manouvre right?, but today is different, very different, cuz today you have a good dozen drivers watching you :open_mouth: and guess what, after 25 mins and many laughs/smirks/ comments from your audience you finally put it in the ‘hole’…25 mins to put it in a place that should have taken 45 seconds!..thats Sods Law :wink:

Good luck Andy :laughing:

By the way, that little story is exactly what happened to me, but by all accounts similar situations happen to most drivers. I have spoken to many over the years who have all had similar stories to tell (at least the ones that are honest enough to admit to it), so don’t let my little story intimidate you, just accept it as one of lifes experiences! :laughing:

Cliff mate??.. I have no doubt what so ever, that thats exactly what its gonna be like… I have heard storys like that quite a few times, and I am well aware that its gonna be exactly the same for me. One thing about my job is that I wont be going to and RDC’s or anything like that, its all gona be plant work. so just delivering to areas around the factory and stuff, but its all tight bay work. For the first 8 weeks thats all I will be doing, basically shunting… picking up and dropping trailers… backing into bays all day long… so I should get plenty of practice… :wink: :wink:
Only then after the 8 weeks, do they let me loose on the roads… LOL…

I’ll keep you all updated as to how I get on… :wink: :wink: :unamused:

Cliff Warby:
This is for all you new class one holders. Sods law says that when you have just passed your test and you are now in your first job, up the road on your jack jones, you get to a tip and the place you have got to back into is the tightest slot you’ve ever seen(and probably will ever see), it will intimidate you just looking at it, let alone attempting to back in, but as you have no choice you give it your best shot, and suprise!, suprise!, you backed it in no problem, even doing it in one go, just like a pro with years of experience, so you climb out of the truck as proud as punch hoping someone saw you and were totaly impressed with your exceptional skills and proffessionalism. Guess what? there will be no-one there, no-one to witness the remarkable feat you have just acomplished, you wish someone saw it, but alas you are the only witness :cry:

Next day, at your next tip, you will pull in to the RDC or wherever, loads of drivers standing around, all of them looking at you as you pull in (as they do with any driver), the slot you have been given is the easiest one to back into, no problem thinks you, after yesterday you can tackle any backing in manouvre right?, but today is different, very different, cuz today you have a good dozen drivers watching you :open_mouth: and guess what, after 25 mins and many laughs/smirks/ comments from your audience you finally put it in the ‘hole’…25 mins to put it in a place that should have taken 45 seconds!..thats Sods Law :wink:

Good luck Andy :laughing:

By the way, that little story is exactly what happened to me, but by all accounts similar situations happen to most drivers. I have spoken to many over the years who have all had similar stories to tell (at least the ones that are honest enough to admit to it), so don’t let my little story intimidate you, just accept it as one of lifes experiences! :laughing:

laffs… oh how bloody true that is cliff!

I’ve often found that when there’s no one about and they say here whack it on bay 4 and there is no other lorries about, do you think i could get it on bay 4? not a bloody chance!

I can rest easy now, I thought I was the only person not to get the reversing thing right :blush: :laughing:
Mind you the worst possible place it could happen and did happen is the services Jnc 12 M1 :blush: :blush: :blush:

Yep, thats how it goes.

The awkward one was Storage and Haulage at Grantham. The docks are only just wide enough for the trailer and the doors are narrower than the mirrors. That means that you lose sight of the trailer when it goes into the door. Straight in, first time. No one around.

2 days later, Sainsbury’s at Rotherham. Loading bay the size of a football pitch. Couldn’t get it straight for the life of me and yes, it seemed like every driver in the northern hemisphere was stood there watching :blush:

It’s all part of the learning curve.

I am so bloody glad i have decided to take up this for a living and that there is all this to look forward too :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

margatemafia:
I am so bloody glad i have decided to take up this for a living and that there is all this to look forward too :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I know how ya feel Margate… and you know what■■?..

I can’t wait either!! hee hee :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i am just glad ur doint it before me mate, then u can let me know exactly what i am in for :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

margate and andy… trust me, you have nothing to worry about… the more you worry yourselves with it the more nervous you’ll be.

The key is this, you’v eboth got your class 2’s, you know you can drive, if anything class 1’s are easier once you’ve cracked the reversing and the only thing i can say to you on that is, keep calm and wait for it to click, you’ll know what i mean when it happens.

Test nerves, early to bed the night before, get up and have a nice big breakfast, and simply say to yourself, as long as i do everything i’ve been taught and keep my eyes open for other people trying to trip me up i’ll be fine and pass with flying colours.

what’s the worst that can happen?

Keep ya chin up guys and if there’s anything i can help ya with then just holla

Tiggz

Thats good advice Tiggz…

But I did actaully pass my class 1 last thursday… :wink: :wink: :smiley: :smiley:
Margate has just passed his class two and wants to go onto class 1 as soon as possible and thast what he meant about me ding it before him, and letting him know what he’s in for. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
I actually start my new job this coming monday… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Roll On Monday!! Yipeeeee

*** STOP PRESS*** Just edited this as I am now holding my CLASS 1 (C+E) Licence in my hands!!!

Thanks tiggz,

i have just got my class 2 licence back today and have just contacted my driving school, and i am going out on an hour assesment drive at midday today. so will let ya know later how i get on :smiley: . i can’t bloody wait :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: It’s twue, it’s twue! (Blazing Saddles)
Your all going to be great, I know it.

soz andy, did that with no sleep, hehe i knew what i meant… :laughing:

Ladytrucker679:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: It’s twue, it’s twue! (Blazing Saddles)
Your all going to be great, I know it.

Awwww, margate…

Dont ya just Love them■■?.. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Thanx LT :smiley:

And Yeah, sorry Tiggz, I was just being pedantic… LOL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

love em all too bits mate!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: