Tacos in transits and small vans?

i was told by driving instructor that the govt were introducing tacos in transits and small vans as of next year, being very new to this industry i dont know how true this is. just wondered what you guys thoughts and feelings were about it :question:

tacho’s in transits !, like a snack whilst I’m driving.
They are suppose to use one now, Tacho that is, if towing, but I’v only ever heard of one prosecution. Same with weight limits, how many 3.5’s are stopped for weighing.
Rules mean nothing if not enforced.

I’ve also heard about them being introduced, a good thing some of them guys drive from one end of the country to the other and back without a break.

As for vans not getting stopped I’ve seen loads of roadside checks recently were they were after vans not trucks. I think VOSA have realised its easier pickings to get vans.

I once did 56 hours over one bank holiday weekend & as it was on non tacho recovery work, it was legal despite driving an HGV.
I personally feel making van drivers use tachos, but not others whose work involve driving company vehicles of a similar licence class, people such as reps, taxi drivers, chauffeurs etc. etc. then it is unfair.
Also if everyone is going to have to abide by the WTD then isn’t this going to have the same effect ?.

I don’t think tachos should be used in vans but I do definitely think 7.5t drivers should have to take a test,yes lots of them are good but a higher percentage are terrible! JMO

“I’ve also heard about them being introduced, a good thing some of them guys drive from one end of the country to the other and back without a break.”

I think thats true with alot of van driving jobs. Luckily I dont have much problem with that sort of thing as we deliver the companies own products so they’re not so obsessed with delivery times etc. Having said that, a month or so ago one of the other drivers came back to the factory on Friday night and loaded for Plymouth (we’re at Scunthorpe), he had to be at Plymouth for 8:30 on Monday morning and be back again at Scunthorpe the same evening ready to load for the next day. He started work at about 2am on the Monday morning, drove to Plymouth, then to Barnstaple and then back to Scunthorpe all in the same day. The problem is that we’re employed through an agency, but their own drivers get a night out in such circumstances where as we dont, we’re expected to drive until its done. I’ve never being in that situation yet, but at only 20 years old if I cause a fuss about driving hours, there’s no doubt that my employment will no longer be needed as I’m “meerely an agency driver” and given my age, I’ll be very lucky to get employment as a van driver anywhere, its probably harder than getting work as a truck driver at 21.

fair play robin, can’t argue with that mate :slight_smile:

Because we tow mobile cabins sometimes we’ve just had them fitted to all our transits and the landrover.

I drive a transit all over the country and try to fit as many miles in as i can in a day so as i can earn more money. i have done up 2 17 hours in a day behind the wheel. however i do take regular breaks and also an over night bag. i think i will continue to work like this until the law is changed and i have to use a tacho, i think other van drivers would do the same to

canadamoose:
I don’t think tachos should be used in vans but I do definitely think 7.5t drivers should have to take a test,yes lots of them are good but a higher percentage are terrible! JMO

Well, they do nowadays. Since 1st Jan 1997, people passing their car test don’t automatically get C1 on their licence, they have to take an additional test for it (can’t see that many will do it though tbh - easier to wait a few years and go straight to C).

“Well, they do nowadays. Since 1st Jan 1997, people passing their car test don’t automatically get C1 on their licence, they have to take an additional test for it (can’t see that many will do it though tbh - easier to wait a few years and go straight to C).”

I looked into getting my C1 a short while back as I was 18/19 and it seemed like an eternity until my 21st birthday. Little did I know how difficult it would be to actually find anyone who actually offered a course on a 7.5 tonner. I found no one who could do it, only a handful who offered their services if I could provide my own vehicle. The only problem was, which one of the 7.5 tonners parked in my drive do I choose?!?!