Help please - Tacho mode switch

Rob K:

Gurner:
Quite simply, leave it on “other work” the box with the line through it, then when you are on break, flick it over to the “rest” or “bed” symbol for the duration of your break then back to “other work”.
When the vehicle starts to move, the tacho will automatically begin to record driving regardless of what posistion the switch is.

Some drivers leave it on "rest or “bed” at all times, this is wrong, as all the tacho will record is driving and rest, things such as unloading, refueling, asking for directions etc etc any of these are classed as “other work” and should be recorded as so.

I have to disagree. He did ask for the exact rules. When driving (and that includes sitting in queues on the M25 etc) it should be on the steering wheel symbol (round circle with a X in it). For rests or breaks it should be on the bed symbol and for doing other work such as fuelling up or being in the back of the wagon with a pallet truck or whatever, it should be on other work (the box with the diagonal line through it).

I often forget to change the switch to rest for my breaks through the day and leave it on driving position by accident, but I’ve never had any tacho’s come back from those bodies that check them. Just don’t make a habit of it.

How old is the tacho on your truck then rob?