Taking class 2 test soon {with luck} any tips please

im just starting on the road to my dream,lorry driving.after years of working inside a workshop i can now look forward to driving, i have passed the lgv theory test and am waiting on a test date for class 2 before i move up to class 1, i have been reading advise you drivers have been giving to people like myself and it is top drawer,more so as it is coming from the best [you guys] any advise would be very welcome. thanks Bobby boy.

Hiya Bobby, Welcome to TruckNetUK mate…

There is always loads and loads of advice that can ge gained here in these forums. If you have any specific questions, just post them up, and wait for the responses. Dont forget to have a look throught the previous posts…

Enjoy TruckNetUK buddy… :wink: :wink:

Hiya bob,a neat little tip to get your braking steering as gental and smooth,to please the fussyest of exameners :wink:
Put one of them small bottles of minral water on the dash board,when you can drive,change gear,brake and steer so well that it stays up right and in place you will pass you test :wink:
It worked for me :sunglasses:

One of the biggest reasons i think people fail is because of nerves, i failed class 2 first time, just because i was so nervous as i didnt know what to expect, and they had me on being to hesitant, its a case of finding a happy medium for keeping the drive going.
Anyway, second time round as i knew what to expect, i wasnt so nervous and sailed through it, then 2 month later went in and did my class 1 and passed first time :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
In my opinion, if you have the money, the as soon as you get your CAT C licence back, get yourself booked in and get the artic, you wont regret it, and there is plenty of work about.

Yes just be yourself, be smooth, relaxed and confident. If you make a mistake carry on and dont worry about it. If you can show you know what you did wrong then that is what the examiner looks for.

They understand it is a stressful experience and will tolerate a few mistakes. They want to see a courteous observant driver.

good position and forward planning is the trick. ask your teacher to give you more practice on anything you are not sure about.

Good Luck
and keep er lit :wink:

First off…Welcome & good luck with the C.
If you listen to the instructor & set out to gain both enjoyment & a licence out of the training then you will lift a little of the pressure of yourself.

Many thanks for the tips guys, this trucknet site is amazing and you people are are what its all about, getting advice and tips will no doubt make my journey ahead feel like half the battle is won, its like having friend with you whenever you need one, again many many thanks…Bobby boy

Gurner:
One of the biggest reasons i think people fail is because of nerves…

Couldn’t agree with you more… Best advice I’ve ever been given is “relax, take your time” !

Passed my Class 1 on the ninth attempt ! Yes, the ninth attempt !!! The first failure was due to nerves and lack of confidence; the second time I had full-blown flu; the third to eighth failures were because the vehicle kept breaking down during the test.

I took the first 8 tests at Swynnerton and took the ninth at Bredbury because Swynnerton had banned the vehicle !!!

My little nugget of advice would be to realise that the instructor is looking for a safe and competant drive, he’ll also look at how you deal with the unexpected. Don’t be a hero :wink: You’ll be fine :laughing: :laughing:

All I can offer is to stay focused 110% from the moment you climb behind the wheel, don’t dwell on any mistakes you make but focus on the present situation.

Take your time…slow down…and think ahead. You are, like myself, a novice, one day we will all drive like we’ve been doing it for years but for now we don’t have the experience behind us. As already been said the instructors and finally the examiners are looking for a safe driver so make good progress on the road when you can safely but be always prepared to back off and even stop if the situation requires.

And enjoy the driving, it’ll help the nerves and this will show in your performance…and at the end of the day that’s what you’ll be putting on for the examiner.

The very best wishes for the future.
Rob

Welcome to TrucknetUK Bob :smiley:

I think youve been given plenty of advice by now (not that i would be able to give any anyway)

You’ll be out in the open road in no time.

And yes keep 'er lit :laughing:

as the rest have said… welcome…

Hi Bobby boy, all the best for the test i really hope you pass it mate, i was really nervous day before and day of test couldn’t eat didnt wanna talk to anyone and had a bit of a negative attitude, but put a post up here day before test and these guys on here really helped. my advice is it is not as bad as you may think, it aint great hours leading up to your test but i drove hour before my test and it built my confidence up alot. arrived at the test centre 15 mins before test had a cigarette and coffee and just tried to calm myself down. once i completed reversing and controlled stop and then got out of the test centre it all just came together. i dunno how to explain it mate but it all just seemed to come together. i think it will for you if you have a good instructor he aint gonna put you up for it if he don’t think your’e good enough :smiley: let us know how you get on mate :smiley:

Hi margatemafia and well done mate on passing your class 2 also good luck with the class 1 mate. my problem at the moment is the trainer i will be using cannot give me a test date, so im a bit stuck now, a local company is paying for my training and tests for both class 2 and 1, as long as i sign a 2 year contract with them, so until they can get the wheels moving im stuck here doing my head in, i just want to get on with it, get it done and start driving.

I know what you mean bobby, i have been lucky with the cost of the course as i have a bloody good mother in law who has lent me the money to do it. i wanted to get straight on with it, but i had to wait 4 weeks from booking it up to first days lesson. i booked up 5, 4 hour lessons over 5 days and got an hour before the test on the 6th day so it was all done in a block, luckily i passed first time or it would of been another four weeks or so to get resit!! :frowning: and that would of been a killer. is that what your trainer is doing, taking you out in a block or are you doing a couple of lessons a week mate? :smiley: